Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
morepower16
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Starting

04 base model mini wont start when key is turned. No click from solinoid but all dash lights come on and no other problems. If I take the key out and keep trying it starts and runs with no problem. Checked battery which is about 2 months old and it is testing good. All cables are tight. Checked battery voltage with car running and shut off and it is good. Checked cables and they are tight. Saw another post had similair problem but that was a manual transmission and problem was clutch switch. My car it automatic so need other ideas.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:21 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Can it be the remote battery?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 AM
morepower16
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this car but I thought the battery in the key remote only effected the opening of the doors and locking. Does it do something else? I only have the one key. Is the battery replaceable and is it as simple as opening it and putting a new battery in and thats it?
Thanks,

Old 12-12-2016, 08:03 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I am not too familiar with R50-R53s... but you could google that bat replacement on these keys, if any. your symptoms dont suggest anything internal to the car, but rather the key fob or EWS not talking "clearly" to each other...i could be wrong though!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by morepower16
I guess i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this car but I thought the battery in the key remote only effected the opening of the doors and locking. Does it do something else? I only have the one key. Is the battery replaceable and is it as simple as opening it and putting a new battery in and thats it?
Thanks,
The 05-06 R50-R53 uses a non user replaceable battery in the FOB that charges when the key is in the ignition. There is also a transponder that allows that key to start your car. I'm not certain about the prior years, but logic would dictate that since the earlier keys don't charge while in the ignition, the battery in your FOB should be replaceable. If the battery is dead, then how could it enable the transponder located in your FOB for your car to start. I would get a new battery and see it that works... Hope that helps, but you can also search this forum for more answers...