Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).
View Poll Results: Who has...
Never had the cold-start problem
34.34%
Had cold-start problem and been permanently fixed with tensioner replacement.
19.62%
Had cold-start problem and been repeatedly fixed with tensioner replacements.
10.19%
Had cold-start problem and been permanently fixed with service bulletin SIM110207
19.25%
Had cold-start problem and still experience issues even after full SIM110207 service applied
20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Start issues...

Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlas8000
2010 Clubman S, rattle started about 3 months ago around 16k miles. I had all the usual symptoms, pronounced rattle between 1500-2200 RPM after cold starts between 30F-40F. Rattle would stop after a few minutes and the engine was warm.

Took it in immediately and dealer couldn't reproduce and said I need to monitor the oil level more closely. Which was strange because the oil level was fine when I took it in, anyway...

Winter in Chicago has been very mild, so the condition didn't occur that often until the past 3 weeks when the rattle got much worse. I recorded the sound in various conditions before making another appointment.

Dealer has had my MINI for 4 days and they aren't being very forthcoming with information. The steps my SA has outlined seem to follow the trouble-shooting steps in SIM110207. Today they are measuring the timing chain after checking the computer for errors. SA wasn't interested in hearing the recordings I made because "they need to triangulate the rattle with their own ears".

Is it normal for the dealer to take so long to work through this problem? I understand they don't want to replace parts if they aren't needed, but at what point have other owners demanded they follow the complete SIM110207 fix?
I was under the impression that there is a campaign within Mini to replace the tensioner if the car's VIN matches some list they have. I'm not 100% sure of specific years but definietly the newer ones.
Also, cold start issue is different than the timing chain tensioner issue.
Cold start issue refers to the HPFP.
The timing chain issue will sound like rocks bouncing around in the upper part of the motor and doesn't necessarily need cold weather to cause it.
The SA may have just mentioned keeping an eye on the oil because low oil level is one of the culprits of the timing chain problem (as well as the parts are made of plastic).
It's not a bad idea to check oil each week regardless.
If your car year and VIN isn't meeting their campaign that may be way they would like to hear the sound with their own ears. Sometimes video recordings are hard to pin point where and what the sound is.
I left my car over night and my SA heard it in the morning and confirmed the issue. Keep in mind, mine is an 07 (common problem with them).

Hope this helps.
I'd hang in there and hopefully they'll figure it out.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
Mini of Omaha in town knew what it was, and fixed it no hassle. The car has given me some headache's but the dealer here has been fantastic. If I knew how to post pictures I'd scan in my a copy of the work order, so you could give it to your SA as a guide.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
atlas8000
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound is definitely the timing chain tensioner issue, not HPFP. Mine noise is definitely temperature related.

Got my MINI back yesterday without any repairs made. To their credit, they tried very hard to fix it. They were only able to reproduce the noise once, but the weather has gotten warmer and it did not return. As a precaution they measured the timing chain and found it within factory specs.

Besides the rattling noise, are there any other warning signs to watch for with this issue? I'm pretty good about checking the oil and it's never been low in the 2+ years I've had the car.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atlas8000
Sound is definitely the timing chain tensioner issue, not HPFP. Mine noise is definitely temperature related.

Got my MINI back yesterday without any repairs made. To their credit, they tried very hard to fix it. They were only able to reproduce the noise once, but the weather has gotten warmer and it did not return. As a precaution they measured the timing chain and found it within factory specs.

Besides the rattling noise, are there any other warning signs to watch for with this issue? I'm pretty good about checking the oil and it's never been low in the 2+ years I've had the car.
Not really. Checking oil regularily is good. I'm not sure if there is a difference in like my 07 vs your 10 but in the earlier years the adjusting bolt can loosen up and actually back out and if that happens you'll lose a bunch of oil at once. Again, not sure if the issues in the diff. years are exact. When mine made the noise back in Dec., it did it on 2 consecutive mornings and on the 3rd, no noise. I opted to drop it off and luckily the next morning they heard it.
It will return. You are under warranty still so not as big a deal to get it right away. Mine was out of warranty.
Good Luck with it, you will eventually get it fixed.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Well, for about a week and a half now I've been getting the more serious death rattle. Meaning it happens almost all the time and especially at idle. Called my dealer and he quoted me $1800 to fix the problem. Trouble is, I've also got a very faint oil leak in the feed line to the turbo which they already quoted me at $860. Warranty ran out last summer, so I'm looking at over $2600 to fix. Ugh. What's the best email or phone number I can call to see if Mini will help at all with the timing chain issue? Losing lots of patience and faith in the car once this stuff starts to happen. Thinking of trading it in on a justa.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
Well, for about a week and a half now I've been getting the more serious death rattle. Meaning it happens almost all the time and especially at idle. Called my dealer and he quoted me $1800 to fix the problem. Trouble is, I've also got a very faint oil leak in the feed line to the turbo which they already quoted me at $860. Warranty ran out last summer, so I'm looking at over $2600 to fix. Ugh. What's the best email or phone number I can call to see if Mini will help at all with the timing chain issue? Losing lots of patience and faith in the car once this stuff starts to happen. Thinking of trading it in on a justa.
From what I've read fixing the timing chain issue is dealership based. If no warranty exists.
Meaning it's up to the dealership whether they'll give you a good will fix.
I mentioned before that my dealership quoted me $1700 total but in the
same breath said if I can handle $500, they'd submit the rest to Mini as
good will.
I've seen where some won't help at all, some took care of the entire thing, and others just charged a portion like mine did.
Ask your dealership and be very humble.
I don't think emailing or calling Mini USA direct will get you anywhere but if you go out and enter www.miniusa.com you'll see email addresses and maybe a phone number.
Good luck

Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
From what I've read fixing the timing chain issue is dealership based. If no warranty exists.
Meaning it's up to the dealership whether they'll give you a good will fix.
I mentioned before that my dealership quoted me $1700 total but in the
same breath said if I can handle $500, they'd submit the rest to Mini as
good will.
I've seen where some won't help at all, some took care of the entire thing, and others just charged a portion like mine did.
Ask your dealership and be very humble.
I don't think emailing or calling Mini USA direct will get you anywhere but if you go out and enter www.miniusa.com you'll see email addresses and maybe a phone number.
Good luck
K, thanks for the info. I'll just have to ask and see what goes. This dealer, Mini of Allentown, isn't the one where I purchased the car. They just opened about 2 years ago but I've been using them since then. Maybe I should contact Prestige in Jersey where I bought it and see what they say too.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have those rattles in the mornings at about 1400K-1800K on cold mornings like today but it's not often I have it. But when I go into the dealer I will tell them about it on my next service around 2,000 miles from now.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
K, thanks for the info. I'll just have to ask and see what goes. This dealer, Mini of Allentown, isn't the one where I purchased the car. They just opened about 2 years ago but I've been using them since then. Maybe I should contact Prestige in Jersey where I bought it and see what they say too.
I just think some dealerships are better than others.
I didn't buy mine from this dealer either but have been
using them. I've had them install some aftermarket things
for me as well.
Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Just to give the good dr., and anyone who lives in the northeast who might be interested, an update on my situation. I wound up calling Prestige Mini in Jersey and their pretty cool service advisor Carolyn said she would work with me on the price whereas Allentown would not. She quoted me $1350. It was the chain and one of the rails that was broken. Also, she got BMW/MINI to reimburse me for the cost of having it towed the 2 hours from my house which I decided to do after their head tech told me that it sounded like the car was not to safe to drive that kind of distance. From what they're telling me, that was the right decision. Talked to them today and the car is fixed, only thing is I can't get out there till the end of the week to pick it up. Also, they say that the parts are under warranty for 2 years and if the problem returns in that time, any MINI dealer has to repair it for free. While it's not as cheap as just $500 for everything, they did save me close to $500 and covered my towing fee which was over $500. I'll take it. Just hope the problem is solved.

My current advice to those S owners wondering if they should buy the extended warranty? Do it, especially if you live 60 miles or more from the nearest dealer. Kind of sucks that you have to, but if you want to keep the car for more than the first 4 years, it's worth it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Just to give the good dr., and anyone who lives in the northeast who might be interested, an update on my situation. I wound up calling Prestige Mini in Jersey and their pretty cool service advisor Carolyn said she would work with me on the price whereas Allentown would not. She quoted me $1350. It was the chain and one of the rails that was broken. Also, she got BMW/MINI to reimburse me for the cost of having it towed the 2 hours from my house which I decided to do after their head tech told me that it sounded like the car was not to safe to drive that kind of distance. From what they're telling me, that was the right decision. Talked to them today and the car is fixed, only thing is I can't get out there till the end of the week to pick it up. Also, they say that the parts are under warranty for 2 years and if the problem returns in that time, any MINI dealer has to repair it for free. While it's not as cheap as just $500 for everything, they did save me close to $500 and covered my towing fee which was over $500. I'll take it. Just hope the problem is solved.

My current advice to those S owners wondering if they should buy the extended warranty? Do it, especially if you live 60 miles or more from the nearest dealer. Kind of sucks that you have to, but if you want to keep the car for more than the first 4 years, it's worth it.
Glad things worked out for ya. It'd sure be nice if all the dealerships had to adhere to strick guidelines when dealing with customers.
The 2 yr warranty on the repair is a plus also. Hopefully we won't have to use it.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
gl3038
Neutral
new 2012 mini cooper coupe bought end of may 2012.
It started flawlessly for the first week (~400 miles) and then I went on vacation for 1 week.
The first attempt to start it after vacation it started like the battery was low.
But it ran normally after starting.

I drove it around town for around 30 minutes hopefully that this would charge the battery.

This morning it again started like the battery was low but it stumbled (shook noticeably) as it started. After starting it runs normally.

I drove it to work and after letting it set for ~1/2 hour I attempted to start it again and it repeated the stumbling but runs normally after starting.

Has anyone experience this issue? I am bringing it to my mini dealer tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM
gl3038
Neutral
Update:

I had a bad cell in my battery causing the battery not to produce enough amps.

Service dept. called to say that they replaced the battery and the car is starting normally again.

They ran the full gauntlet of diagnostics and no other issues were observed.

Originally Posted by gl3038
new 2012 mini cooper coupe bought end of may 2012.
It started flawlessly for the first week (~400 miles) and then I went on vacation for 1 week.
The first attempt to start it after vacation it started like the battery was low.
But it ran normally after starting.

I drove it around town for around 30 minutes hopefully that this would charge the battery.

This morning it again started like the battery was low but it stumbled (shook noticeably) as it started. After starting it runs normally.

I drove it to work and after letting it set for ~1/2 hour I attempted to start it again and it repeated the stumbling but runs normally after starting.

Has anyone experience this issue? I am bringing it to my mini dealer tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
OskiMini
Neutral
2009 Automatic Cooper S owner posting for the first time.

Bought it about 2 months ago with 15.5k miles on it from an auto broker. Just came off-lease and had all maintenance up-to-date, including an oil change at 9k miles and water pump recall done. Warranty good until mid January 2013.

Thanks to this forum and other sites, I found out about the cold start/timing chain issue so I knew to watch for it. I have also invested in the easier to read Craven dipstick and have religiously kept the oil in limits. And I did an OEM oil & filter change at 16k.

Within the last month the car started to sound a bit rattly at cold start-ups. At first it would go away rather quickly (maybe 5 seconds). But it gradually lasted longer and longer, and occurred more frequently. More recently the car started to run roughly and noisy, even hesitating/lurching between between gears, including initial engagement or reverse to drive.

Took it last week to the local Mini dealer and explained the symptoms and that I suspected timing chain problems (along with warped hood scoop and sunroof wind-noise complaints). I asked them to also check on potential carbon buildup.

Initially they couldn't find a problem. However, after letting it sit and doing a cold start, they replicated the rattle and rough drive symptoms. They followed the trouble-shooting steps in SIM110207 and replaced the timing chain (report said original measured at 70mm, oil within limits), tensioner, guide rails, and all the other associated parts. Also replaced the hood scoop (adding a heat shield) and realigned the sunroof - all done for free, under warranty, with no pressure needed from me. Reported no significant carbon build-up, btw.

So far the car seems to be driving normally, no rattle, not rough and jerky, and very little wind noise from the roof.

I'm happy with my first-time service at this dealer.

And I thank all of you that have posted your experiences and knowledge of the timing chain issue. It's entirely possible I could have waited until after the warranty expired if I didn't know about the seriousness of these symptoms.

I'll continue to contribute my experiences by posting periodic updates on how the timing chain "fix" works out and any other significant issues with my car.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
OskiMini
Neutral
One more thing:

As you can see with my car, the timing chain problem can occur at relatively low miles - under 19k in my case.

Don't hesitate to take it in to be checked if you have any reason to suspect you have this issue.

I hear this dealer sees several cars a month that require serious engine repair work due to timing chain failure.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Fun Mini Bad Mini
Neutral
Is this related: Broken guides on timing chain?

I had similar cold start issue but when I took it to new Mini dealership, they said it's a $2000 repair because broken guides on timing chain.

Dealer advice: "things break." even at 5 years and 34k miles. A quick google of the issue and it seems widespread. Dealer says they need to drop the oil pan.

Contacted Mini BMW corporate. 5 days without response, and without mini.

These are serious issues. Are they typical Mini / BMW? I've never heard of these problems in other vehicles at this low mileage.

Chili Red '07 S. Babied baby. Two high pressure fuel pumps, new water pump, defective tires, melting hood air slot, 2nd degree burn on right leg and various covered repairs. But it is fun to drive.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Fun Mini Bad Mini

These are serious issues. Are they typical Mini / BMW? I've never heard of these problems in other vehicles at this low mileage.

Chili Red '07 S. Babied baby. Two high pressure fuel pumps, new water pump, defective tires, melting hood air slot, 2nd degree burn on right leg and various covered repairs. But it is fun to drive.
Those are some of the typical issues for Mini, seems like you've had them all though...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM
gsovde
Neutral
I had the same. Started with the rattle. Mostly in the mornings. Then the safe mode CEL came on. Found that the BOV is failing. Replaced it. And so far after 1 day of driving. Even in the mornings. No rattle or CEL.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
stronzo2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Smalls-
Excellent info thanks.

One question...... How long after the first turn of the ignition did it rattle on a cold start (in the beginning)? I ask because I get a rattle for about 1.5 seconds then goes away. But I'm trying to dismiss that as something else.

Thanks.
Do not dismiss it, you've got the Death Rattle.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:13 AM
MiniCrisis
1st Gear
I went in for an audio jack replacement and was told there was a bulletin that they needed to do. Well, they did and now when I start up cold it doesn't raise up or even sound like it used to. Its harder to get the popping gurgling sound that mini is known for while revving it up. Its not the same car that I drove into service

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
CMFFEMT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCrisis
I went in for an audio jack replacement and was told there was a bulletin that they needed to do. Well, they did and now when I start up cold it doesn't raise up or even sound like it used to. Its harder to get the popping gurgling sound that mini is known for while revving it up. Its not the same car that I drove into service
What was wrong with your jack? I have a problem with mine. If it isn't very still and the cables straight it cuts out audio to the speakers

Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
golgo13
1st Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=244114

Last edited by golgo13; 01-18-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Jo Namio
Neutral
When the turbo on my 2008 S failed back in May, they replaced the chain tensioner when they did all the thousands of dollars of turbo repairs. Now, only 6 months later, the death rattle. The guy I always dealt with at the dealership is gone, and the new guy is clueless about all the work I've already had done, and treats me like a "stupid girl." Dropped the car off this morning, soon as I could once the noise started. Timing Chain issues, he says. And the oil was low. My question is.... isn't the timing chain work they just did in May still under warranty??

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I know I thought if you get it done at the dealer, then you'll have a one year warranty on the timing chain. Hopefully others can confirm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Start issues...