Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Side Scuttle fells off

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Scuttle fells off

Few months ago, I noticed that my left side scuttle insert was missing. I looked around and found it on the ground. I reinserted it, but with little vibration, it fells off. Is there any way to secure this thing. Right side scuttle seems to be very secure since I tried to remove it, but it won't come off. However, left side scuttle just fells off. I tried to use glue, but it still comes off easily.

Anyone knows how to secure this thing so that it won't come off easily? I appreciate any advice.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
amberback
5th Gear
What kind of glue did you use?

I lost one once and was planning on glueing mine. I think it just might take some good quality plastic glue...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
jtbrown
3rd Gear
First off, what type of scuttle? One of the 'stock' ones or an upgraded one? Gen 1 or Gen 2 MINI? Knowing the specifics may help get better help your way.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
regular glue

I'm sorry that you lost one. I used regular strong plastic glue. Maybe I have to add more. Instead of plastic glue, is there any way to secure scuttle from inside?
I checked price of a pair of scuttle, and it's around $140. Can't believe that this costs this much. If a set is $50, it would make more sense, not $140. :-) We need to secure this thing very tight!!!!! LOL

Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
I have

I have 2008 Mini Cooper S and bought checkered design scuttle. Please see attached pic. I used more glue, and it now seems to be attached strongly. I cannot remove with force.

Now, what if I decided to change them to different design? LOL

Attached Thumbnails Side Scuttle fells off-img_0015.jpg  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
jdmef8
2nd Gear
Why bother with glue? Glue will never hold and will cause a huge mess on your paint if you over do it. I got some Union Jack scuttles and they were extremely loose. Get some double sided tape and put it on the front edge of the insert. This will hold it in place and won't come off unless you pull really hard. Don't bother with the foamy stuff found at home improvement stores. Find a hobby shop and get yourself a roll of servo tape. $3-4 dollars to save your $140 scuttles is a very wise investment.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jdmef8
Why bother with glue? Glue will never hold and will cause a huge mess on your paint if you over do it. I got some Union Jack scuttles and they were extremely loose. Get some double sided tape and put it on the front edge of the insert. This will hold it in place and won't come off unless you pull really hard. Don't bother with the foamy stuff found at home improvement stores. Find a hobby shop and get yourself a roll of servo tape. $3-4 dollars to save your $140 scuttles is a very wise investment.
Well, I was going to glue the inserts to the black carrier pieces... so shouldn't effect the paint.

But, if you think this tape is good enough - I will get it instead. :D

This?? http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-S...2134322&sr=8-2
Or this?? http://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Servo...2134300&sr=8-1
Or there is this, but it is $7 shipping : http://www.amazon.com/Parma-Pro-Serv...2134300&sr=8-3

Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
thank you..

Thank you guys. It is very helpful. MINI owners here rocks!!!!! :-)

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
jdmef8
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amberback
Well, I was going to glue the inserts to the black carrier pieces... so shouldn't effect the paint.

But, if you think this tape is good enough - I will get it instead. :D

This?? http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-S...2134322&sr=8-2
Or this?? http://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Servo...2134300&sr=8-1
Or there is this, but it is $7 shipping : http://www.amazon.com/Parma-Pro-Serv...2134300&sr=8-3
Either of the first two will work fine. Don't you have a local hobby shop you can stop by? Perhaps a Hobbytown USA? You would save on shipping and you don't need a whole roll. If you want enough to do both side scuttles, I can send you some for free. Just PM me with your name and address and I'll get some out to you.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jdmef8
Either of the first two will work fine. Don't you have a local hobby shop you can stop by? Perhaps a Hobbytown USA? You would save on shipping and you don't need a whole roll. If you want enough to do both side scuttles, I can send you some for free. Just PM me with your name and address and I'll get some out to you.
I ordered one of the ones with free shipping. Unfortunately, we don't have any Hobby Shop near by that I know of. I heard there is one about 40 minutes away, but it is closing... was supposed to go there to get paint for my MINI model I still haven't built but haven't made it there...

Thanks for the offer though! :D

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lost my scuttle.... I simply took it back to the dealer and they replaced them under warranty.

Problem solved.

Mark

Old 08-19-2010, 05:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe some silicone would do better at holding it in place and filling any gaps as well as being less permanent. Not sure how the scuttle falls off because the bonnet holds it in place. Keeps someone from stealing it.

I have removed my scuttles for painting and they hold tight (carrier to body)

Course I broke one during removal

Then glued it back together

Smoothed the joints with my Dremel

Primered it

Sprayed it with Krylon Red Gloss and Clearcoat

Wetsanded and polished it after several days of drying

Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
kansasbob98
2nd Gear
Just lost a blackjack scuttle insert yesterday. Checked the other one & it was loose and easily removed with the hood closed. Reinstalled the stockers.
Like what Octane Guy did.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
OctaneGuy, very nice scuttles!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!! I was quite happy that I could get decent results from a rattle can!

Originally Posted by slimjimtell
OctaneGuy, very nice scuttles!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I lost one of my side scuttles when I first put them on. On the second set I used a hot glue gun and applied a bead on each side of the "bayonet" hooks between the carrier and the scuttle on the inside. This has worked fine, hasn't fallen off since.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Thanks!! I was quite happy that I could get decent results from a rattle can!
...i have the hardest time w/ clear coats from rattle cans, ..90% of the time the clear coat seems to f' up the paint job. I haven't put clear coat on my last two sets of trim (tail lights and now door handles).

Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM
amberback
5th Gear
I use the double sided tape and attached mine. It was a little difficult getting them to slide back on with the tape, but i know they won't be falling off on their own!

Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
headfirst4
Neutral
Ok lost my second union flag side scuttle! (driver side) I notice the problem the first time I lost my side scuttle but did not glue or taped the inside because I wanted to paint them with an L.A. insignia since I'm from Los Angeles. I should have taped the inside or used silicone. Anyway, any one who has an extra driver side scuttle (union flag [red white blue]) I will gladly pay you for it or maybe we can trade I have an extra passenger side scuttle.

Eddie

Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Speedwing
4th Gear
3M adhesive trim tape .... found at most auto parts stores. Comes in several widths.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
When all else fails, read the instructions.

For the aftermarket scuttles there is a little tab on the back you have to press down to lock the scuttle in. If you do this it is impossible for the scuttle to "fall" off or be removed without tools.

Try looking. There is no glue or tape required.

edit: the arrows point to the black tab you have to "click" into place (press it down)

and here is the other side of this particular scuttle =)

Last edited by MotorMouth; 09-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM
headfirst4
Neutral
Ok my scuttles were installed by the dealer, I did not ask for them and they came with the car when I picked it up. Now do you click in the scuttle to the carrier before you install or can you click in the scuttle when the carrier is already installed? I'll be going back to the dealer and I want a good explanation before I tell them off!

Eddie

Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 AM
jdmef8
2nd Gear
The dealer installed mine as well, and I was given the instructions along with my stock scuttles. I noticed the tab that needed to be clicked in, but I couldn't get it to stay clicked down. I had to resort to the tape in order to keep them on. Luckily, I noticed them being loose and took them off until I got home.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My scuttle came off today wile on the interstate highway - it beat the crap out of the side of my car even though I immediately pulled over. It will need paint work.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by headfirst4
Ok my scuttles were installed by the dealer, I did not ask for them and they came with the car when I picked it up. Now do you click in the scuttle to the carrier before you install or can you click in the scuttle when the carrier is already installed? I'll be going back to the dealer and I want a good explanation before I tell them off!

Eddie

you can't click it while it's installed on the car but the carrier is very easy to take off the car. With the bonnet open push it forward. I usually give a little whack on the back of the carrier with the palm of my hand.

Quick Reply: Side Scuttle fells off