North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Please help re: tachometer computer display not working (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/186067-please-help-re-tachometer-computer-display-not-working.html)

jeffsparks1 03-27-2010 01:03 PM

Please help re: tachometer computer display not working

The computer display on the tachometer on my 2004 MC goes black intermittenly. It will stay off for minutes to hours at various times. It might work correctly for several days and then goes black for no apparent reason. There does not seem to be any particular time or reason for it to go out. Any help figuring out what is going on would be greatly appreciated. The tachometer appears to be working okay. Thanks

Motor On 03-27-2010 01:25 PM

Have you unplugged it and checked that that connection on the bottom of the tach is secure?

The next easiest thing to rule out is go to the footwell and check the fuses that match up with the pictures of gauges. make sure the contacts are clean and the wire across the fuse is solid and not snapped or charred.

But if I had to guess right now, with it being intermittent as such it sounds like it's probably going to be a loose connection of the ground (brown wire), I'm not sure just where that harness grounds to the frame though.

jeffsparks1 03-29-2010 04:34 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try the next time it goes black. Right now it has been working okay for last 3 days.

geofox784 03-01-2016 12:04 PM

Is anyone else still having this problem or found a solution? This has been happening to me for a few months.

BradWX 04-25-2016 05:55 AM

2006 Mini Conv. S

I am having the same issue. If it is below 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The tach and all indicators work for a good 15 minutes then it all goes dead. If it is above 60 out it never works. I also get TPMS and Stability Control lights too. Not sure if that is related. I am assuming it is a ground. I have not looked into it yet. Car has new battery and Bosch Reman Alternator.

MD_mini 06-10-2016 05:19 AM

I have the same issue with a 2007 mini - most functions on the tachometer only work when it is cold (for about 10 minutes like the previous post.)

I brought it to a mechanic and he said the tach is getting power. He thinks the tachometer itself may need to be replaced.

I reset the ECU and the tach worked for a moment then shut down.

Let me know if anyone figured this out.

MD_mini 12-05-2016 11:32 AM

Update: it was the tach

I bought a tach off eBay and installed it - that solved the problem for me.

I was also experiencing hesitation and stability control lights flashing occasionally - I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coil. This solved my problems.

geofox784 12-05-2016 07:13 PM

FOUND A SOLUTION FOR GEN 2 MINIS. - At least this worked for me. I disconnected the battery first to be safe, removed the screws holding the tach to the steering column and the 3 in the back holding it together, then pulled it appart. I then disconnected the ribbon cable and reconnected it. Didn't see anything weird, but thought I would give it a shot. Did this a month ago and it has been working perfectly sense!

GoThingNC 12-10-2016 04:58 PM

I gave the Tach and speedometer a hard twist and they started working again. This was a month ago.