Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Issue after timing chain… help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:22 AM
djomlas
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue after timing chain… help me out?

Got my car used and was making noise, figured its timing chain so got the kit. 2009 jcw manual.
turns out the harmonic balancer only was held on w 2 out of 3 bolts and stripped itselt snd balancer broke off taking out old belt. Same thing w tensioner.
so figured since i have the kit id just replace it as guy ingot it from said he never did w 127k miles on it.
after belt broke and i replaced the tensioner i turned it on and it ran nicely (obviously batt light on) but motor was strong.
i got detroit tuned kit and tool to get it seappwd
put the cam lock tool on, and one in flywheel and went on w the replacement. Got one bolt torqued and when i went to do the big 18mm bolt on crank the tool fell put from the flywheel and it turned a bit.
i put it back in and it slid right in
now w everything back on the engine just spins and wont start
so is the timing off now?
and if it is whats the best way to fix this? Ive got it in garage w all tools all over so trying to get it done asap
thanks guys

Old 08-17-2021, 10:50 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Best to start over --- loosen cam bolts and tensioner tool, then reinstall locking tools and proceed with the process. Use new cam sprocket bolts too. Vanos doesn't like to be manually rotated CCW, screws up the "null" setting when doing timing. And, some procedures don't have the latest torque spec for the crank bolt --- 50Nm then 180 deg rotation. Old spec was 50Nm and 100 deg. Crank bolt will work loose if old spec is used, and destroy the engine! I suggest a compression test to ensure there was no piston / valve contact during your "no-start" condition.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:38 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
i know those
bolts are one time use, but for test purpose
Would you trust to reuse them, and if all wel, then replace? Or just put new ones in rightaway?

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Best to start over --- loosen cam bolts and tensioner tool, then reinstall locking tools and proceed with the process. Use new cam sprocket bolts too. Vanos doesn't like to be manually rotated CCW, screws up the "null" setting when doing timing. And, some procedures don't have the latest torque spec for the crank bolt --- 50Nm then 180 deg rotation. Old spec was 50Nm and 100 deg. Crank bolt will work loose if old spec is used, and destroy the engine! I suggest a compression test to ensure there was no piston / valve contact during your "no-start" condition.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by djomlas
i know those
bolts are one time use, but for test purpose
Would you trust to reuse them, and if all wel, then replace? Or just put new ones in rightaway?
100% new bolts! Never reuse the cam bolts. https://www.detroittuned.com/mini-co...-timing-bolts/

Old 08-17-2021, 01:35 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
The common test process is to remove all tools, rotate engine a couple full revs, re-install tools and measure tool gaps. If OK and you replace bolts, you've then lost the "OK" status. Gotta leave bolts alone if timing tests OK. You seem to have the knack for setting timing, go ahead and replace the bolts first.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:13 PM
djomlas
2nd Gear
****ok its a washer from the cover, must save slipped out when removing it ******

Got new bolts and popped the cover out to start this and saw this. I placed it on top circled in red. Where did this come from and was this damage done after car was fired up the first time to try and start?
what to do next here guys?

Last edited by djomlas; 08-17-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:30 AM
cpmetz
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
This is from your valve cover. Those inserts are in all the bolt holes; on my aftermarket valve cover they also just slid out at one of the holes between the holes for the coils..On my genuine one they are properly press fitted.