Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Just got my MINI and this sub-forum has me "Driving Miss Daisy"!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my MINI and this sub-forum has me "Driving Miss Daisy"!

I'm in the break-in period, so I have to dial it back a little anyways, but I find myself crawling around and handling everything about the car in a ridiculously delicate fashion...

I am always listening (anticipating?) for strange sounds or looking for leaks, dings, smoke, etc... all the time!

I don't think I've broken 4000 RPM's... I haven't gone over 70mph.... I go out and open the sunroof in the middle of the day to make sure it doesn't stick! I started the car in the morning before work to check for the chatter, and I wasn't even driving it that day! I feel the hood scoop after driving it every time!

Help!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have to lay off those "something went wrong" posts on NAM and drive your MINI a bit more! Hard to read those NAM posts if you are driving!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 PM
irieman
5th Gear
^^ +1

Old 05-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Sounds like you have to lay off those "something went wrong" posts on NAM and drive your MINI a bit more! Hard to read those NAM posts if you are driving!
I know... that's what I want to do but you read so much on here about leaky sunroofs, clutches going out 3 times in 16,000 miles, poor service from dealerships, wiper motors going out, brakes failing, cars going in for repairs under warranty and the dealers saying it was driver abuse/neglect or keeping the car for 2 weeks, etc...

I'm not ever going to drive the thing like Bo Duke in the General Lee, but I'm tired of stressing when I find myself at a red light knowing it's about to change, but feeling guilty that I've had my foot on the clutch for 9 seconds and the car in 1st gear...

I know I need to stop worrying. I didn't add on alot of additional options other than the premium package and rear fog lights simply because I didn't want a bunch of things going wrong.... that, and my wife absolutely HATES the car.... and I had to fight her just to get it.

Maybe I just fear the nagging voice if something goes wrong?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:01 AM
CheeseFry
Neutral
Why

Curious, why does your wife hate the car?

Also, why did you buy it if you had concerns about reliability?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
drive the **** out of it , its under warranty

Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
go read some honda forums and you'll feel better knowing they complain just as much.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
go out n drive more

Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CheeseFry
Curious, why does your wife hate the car?

Also, why did you buy it if you had concerns about reliability?

My wife hates the car because I'm 6' 4" and she thinks its too small. I also ordered it from Ralph Schomp who gives ZERO discounts on ordered cars and wouldn't throw in any more than a dealership key ring. I've wanted a MINI since I first saw the original vintage Mini's when I was a kid. I had to have it.

I had researched through Consumer Digest and Consumer Reports prior to buying just as I had with every other car I've purchased and the reviews were excellent. I had located other forums other than this one and most complaints were on the 1st generations and were,... to be frank, pretty ridiculous IMO. Seriously,,,,, what kind of nutjob writes their congressperson about lemon laws over a 2002 MINI with 85,000 miles on it's third owner over a cigarette lighter going out in 2009?

After I placed the order, I explored this forum more since I was going to be an owner and that's when I found this sub-forum. I thought some might be overreacting at first, but there are some legitimate concerns and problems people are having.

Last edited by Mr_Bueno; 05-03-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:18 PM
old81
M6
Don't stress over the MINI, break it in as you want, I believe you could take it up a bit higher and not stress. The engine will be better for it, too.

Lots of big men drive MINIs, actually I've noticed a lot of big people drive MINIs, it is all about the happy factor.

I'm a medium sized older guy who drives my MINI on a lot of drives and have made a few road trips. It is a safe and comfortable road cruiser.

I like going fast, so I do lapping days. Your wife is probably right, Schomp does not discount, but they treat the MINI customer pretty good.

Come to a couple MINI5280 events, see how other folks are enjoying their MINIs.

Our next Saturday event is breakfast over in Louisville (next door), see the MINI5280 calendar and the NAM thread.

One of the folks here in Louisville has a nice Clubman and I believe Bob is over 6 feet too.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:38 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
As has been pointed out many, many times in the past, if you are driving blissfully with no problems you arent going to write about something negative here. If you have a problem you are either looking for a solution or sharing your misery. So the amount of posts will be statistically skewed towards the negative, but this doesnt accurately reflect the amount of problems most people have with the brand. If you want a more accurate representation of what owners are experiencing for problems overall then head to Consumer Reports annual auto issue which has reports on reliability for these and most other cars on the market over the last 6 years.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Just drive it, it'll be ok, I gave up being too carefull too and now just enjoy the drive.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
t0ad
2nd Gear
I don't see how people stay under 4k rpm for 1200 miles .. I hit 6500 and north of 100mph on my test drive with 10 miles on the clock I've always been under the belief that you should drive them like you're going to for the rest of the journey just to let them know what they're in for.

Everybody else is right, people who aren't having any problems won't be here posting about it, they'll be out enjoying the drive! I also started to get a bit worried after reading through this section while waiting for mine to be built, but other than a little interior rattle or two I've had no problems so far.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Dude, you're in charge of your own canoe / parachute / MINI / what have you...

Have a great time in your MINI (they're a hell of a lot of fun). IF you have a problem, deal with it then.

In the meantime, have fun!

Truth be told, I had some of the same worries you do, but so far, none of 'em have come to pass. I love the MINI!