Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Time to do Inspection 1

Old 08-20-2006, 05:54 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to do Inspection 1

MIB has had its first oil change and I have 13000+ miles before inspection 1.

For those of you who have done the inspection 1, how long will I be waiting at the dealer for the car to be serviced? Is it an "over night" thing? or can you have your car back on the same day?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 AM
fred3
4th Gear
What's an inspection 1? I had my first oil change this summer and the only thing mentioned was the next one 15,000 miles from then.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
mr_edly
3rd Gear
1.5 hours for me.

"MINI Inspection I" items listed on the MINI owner's lounge:
Undercarriage Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature.
We recommend MINI Synthetic Motor Oil, p/n 07 51 0 143 829 Check transmission for leaks. Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots. Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks. Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks. Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary. Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads (outer pads only) using special tool.
If replacement is necessary:
Examine brake disc surfaces. clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs.
Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads. Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc. Check brake system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning. Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary. Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary. Check
condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested(to be invoiced separately.)
Note: If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance. (invoiced separately.)

Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years). Engine Compartment Read out diagnostic system. Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note: Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date). Check level of brake fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required. Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).* Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary. Check air conditioner operation. Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions. Reset Service Interval Indicator. Body/Electrical Equipment Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.* Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license plate, interior, glove box, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage area lights. Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination. Check all warning/indicator lights, check control. Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch. Check windshield and tailgate wipers and washer systems; wiper blades, washer jet positions. Check condition and function of safety belts. Check central locking system. Check operation of all latches. Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger. Check rear view mirrors. Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories. Final Inspection Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission. Visually check shock absorbers for leaks.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:31 PM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Just had Inspection I, took less than 2 hours, including brake fluid change.
It's an '04 and two years old.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by freez3
Just had Inspection I, took less than 2 hours, including brake fluid change.
It's an '04 and two years old.
i just had my done too... also 04 and 2 yrs old
rather disappointed of what they do and what they charge.. i'm more than disappointed..

Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Lancecd
2nd Gear
Inspection 1

What did they charge you?

What was the charge for?

I was under the impression that all maintenance was free for the 1st 3 years.

Lance

Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fred3
What's an inspection 1? I had my first oil change this summer and the only thing mentioned was the next one 15,000 miles from then.
Sorry, but I can't resist seeing as you are always one to say this...go to your car and get your owner's manual...Inspection 1 and what is performed during it is in there.

For Dr. Diff...like others said, took 2 hrs max when I had it done.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancecd
What did they charge you?

What was the charge for?

I was under the impression that all maintenance was free for the 1st 3 years.

Lance
I'm under the same impression

Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 AM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
At roughly how much mileage does inspection 1 kick in? So far I've got 12k miles or so & no inspection indicator yet?

Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
How often does everyone get their oil changed? Do i need to wait until the OBC tell me to get it changed? This is something I will never be able to get used to.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keysersozeh
How often does everyone get their oil changed? Do i need to wait until the OBC tell me to get it changed? This is something I will never be able to get used to.
Some do wait for the indicator, but my guess is that most on this site change sooner. I do every 5,000 because it is easy to remember and much sooner than needed. I change my own oil so the cost is low enough that I would rather do it more often than necessary.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Inspection 1 is at 25,000.
My car just went by the 3 year but has not hit 25,000 yet. The dealer wanted to sell me an extended Warranty for the year for $500 (or maybe he said $400). He said that inspection and oil change would be $400 if I pay for them but they would do it as included if I bought the service. Well I recenlty had them change the oil (and brake fluid) on the " x year" time out so neither will need changing for a while.

The only thing on that list that counts is the body rust inspection, as they won't honor the rust through if you don't have it inspected on their terms. I am taking my chances. I don't pay dealers $400 to look the car over and change the oil!

J D

Old 06-07-2020, 10:39 AM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
One more thing. I got this code (Carly) when it happened. I don't see a level code with the scanner you posted.

As I say, I initially thought the fluid wasn't low, but after the "level too low" message on this error I brought it up to max.