Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OBDII Software/Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Tymon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBDII Software/Cable

I got an email from Sear today and they have a pretty nice looking OBDII scanner on sale for $179.

I was considering buying it when it occured to me surely someone makes a cable and some software to read ODBII codes on my laptop.

I have been searching for an hour and have found lots of posts on ODBII codes and lots of posts talking about using laptops to tune (MTH).

I am not interested in tuning, just reading the codes.

Is there anything out there relatively cheap? I would assume it would be less than the $179 I was looking at spending as my laptop would be the hardware used and not their hand held.

Thanks
Ty

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not going to answer your question, but here it goes...

Do you get a lot of error codes from your 06 MCS? On my 03 MCS with ~80Kmiles, I saw the Service Engine Light once (due to a dirty air filter). I went to Autozone, which loans the OBD readers for 4 weeks for free (pay upfront and get full credit when return it) and read/reset the code. I repeated the same for my wife's car again only once... I wouldn't want to buy/keep something that I'll use not more than three times in 10 years (especially when there are "free" alternatives out there). Again, it all depends on your car. I know few MINI owners who had some "mysterious" SEL light problems with all kind of weird codes, which justifies the purchase of an ODB code reader...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 AM
J Marshall
2nd Gear
Innovate OT-1. Don't know how much it is but it works with your laptop and also has datalog capabilities.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
I have Autotap and works great, does logging also.

Auterra is another that I heard was good.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
MRmidge
3rd Gear
I have an autoscanner plus (cp9180), it gives me detailed code descriptions. Clears codes, it can run emissions checks, data logs, and can monitor ng on most engine sensors real time. Cost me $109, it has more options than i can even use, and has an internet updating feature. So i would say 179 is a wast or 70 dollars.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by J Marshall
Innovate OT-1. Don't know how much it is but it works with your laptop and also has datalog capabilities.
I got my OT-1 last night and not so good.

Strike one. Out of the box the unit has a firmware glitch that prevents it from properly connecting to a PC via the USB. Ok, no biggy, there is new firmware. Ooops, you need to connect via the PC w/ the USB (that doesn't work) to update the firmware. Good times.

Strike two. It does not recognize MY MINI's ecu. It seems to connect to our Jetta and mini-van, but no joy for Bettie. Supposedly the firmware fixes this too.

Hoping to get this resolved quickly and play with the features this thing is suppose to have.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Well after trying everything on the Innovate support forum to correct my problem, I called in to support. Very pleasant. After a few troubleshooting steps, the individual on the phone determined the unit was defect and arranged to have a new unit sent out immediately with a return shipping label for my unit. Not a bad deal. Now I just have to wait for the new unit to arrive to get started.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Well Innovate hit the nail on the head. My first unit was defective. I was able to plug the second unit in, connect the laptop and bring up LM Programmer without an issue. I did the firmware update to 1.01. The OT-1 still would not see my MINI so I began doing a bit of research and found out the MINI uses the ISO 9141. So this is what I had to do:

1.) In LM Programmer select "ISO 9141" as the protocol and pressed "program"
2.) Close LM Programmer
3.) The OT-1 will cycle (all lights flash off except power)
4.) MTS comes on steady and then begins to flash
5.) Turn the car key off and then on - the OT-1 will only synch with a fresh "Start"
6.) Open LM Programmer and program channels as instructed in the manual

After each "program" you need to repeat steps 2 - 5 to get everything to take affect.

I was able to log 10 minutes of data before my notebook battery died. 6 channels very smooth. Excellent!

If you are considering this product or already have it and have issues, I highly recommend their forum:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/index.php

Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
SUMEL
Neutral
iso 9141

hello
I have problems with bluetooth kiwi
with android.
says ISO 9141 2 5 baud.
and I do not read anything?
I have the apps torque.