North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Can't get into first gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/120715-cant-get-into-first-gear.html)

RonP 11-21-2007 10:29 PM

Can't get into first gear

Two weeks ago I took my MINI in for her 60k service, they found that the shift linkage was cracked. Took a week to get the part. It was finished today along with new front brakes.

As I waited to pick it up at the service bay they were out taking by the car for awhile, the service people, so I went out. They said the car is extremely difficut to shift into first now.

So, Friday she goes to MINI of Irvine, after that I think a long drive off a short pier is what she gets.

nabeshin 11-22-2007 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by RonP (Post 1878182)
So, Friday she goes to MINI of Irvine, after that I think a long drive off a short pier is what she gets.

That is not very cost effective.

The linkages must not have been installed correctly.

RonP 11-22-2007 09:28 AM

That's my guess, at least once she gets too MINI of Irvine she'll be in good hands and get fixed right.

It's just frustrating, that's all, I love the car too much.

thefuturequeenofnebraska 11-23-2007 07:42 AM

Good luck with the repair- it sure stinks to have your dear MINI in the hospital... but she'll be out and in good shape before you know it!
(until then, you've got NAM to keep you company!)
:)

Gil-galad 11-23-2007 08:04 AM

Oh....

When I saw the thread title and the reply by TFMa, I thought you might be looking for some dating advice...:lol:

Hope you have a quick and successful linkage adjustment (on the MINI!) :thumbsup:

RonP 11-23-2007 10:10 AM

Thanks guys. I just called and she'll be headed to MINI this morning so hopefully if it's just an adjustment due to the new linkage bracket she'll be back with me by Monday.

RonP 11-24-2007 12:05 AM

Well, I heard from Irvine MINI today. When they drove my car over they said 2nd gear was grinding. The mechanic thinks it's the clutch going out but they won't know until they tear it apart. If that's the case I'll have the car sent back to CarMax for the clutch job. Irvine MINI wants $2,200. CarMax I'm sure will be close to half that, but I won't find out until Monday.

So it looks to be at least another week at the earlist that I'll see my MINI back in the driveway.

What's odd to me is that she drove fine, no shifting issues, just a rattle and then once the new shift bracket gets installed it takes a dump. Something just doesn't feel right about all this.

RonP 11-24-2007 10:43 PM

I've decided that come Monday, I'm going to put myself in full "****" mode and go full blast at CarMax, they will not like me when I hang up the phone. I'm gathering up all my repair receipts over the past year and a half and going to threaten them with the BBB and an attorney and see what I can get out of these guys.