Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does yours use the valve stem sensors or the other method to determine TP is low?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mataku
wow.. I have the same issue... Make a new topic and clearly explain what you are seeing and how to check for it (wait 5 min after driving) otherwise ppl like me will check right after and not think they have an issue. Also is this issue limited to manual transmission S or does anyone with auto S have it as well?

Bascially a new thread with the first post stating
-how to find the problem
-to only respond if you have the issue.
-who to contact (service department, MINIUSA, how?)
-responses received.

Unless we get organized, there is no way anything will get done.
Yes, I agree with you. However, I believe there is less NAM traffic in the stock problems forum. Should the new thread go in "Coupe Talk (2007+)" category, or stay here?

I'd also like to make sure new owners or potential buyers know of this issue. I would have loved to have had this info prior to my purchase. If people start asking the MA's about these problems before signing a contract, that might get their attention too.

Based on the lack of response by Mini/BMW, we might be able to get their attention sooner if we can get potential buyers to start asking these questions about known yet unresolved issues. Had I known of the "blazing bonnet", DMF knock, 3-2 squeal, weeping jets that stain my stripes issues up front, I propably would not have purchased this car.

I am incredibly disappointed in the quality of this car.
Potential buyers should know what they are getting into.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had known about marshmallow steering, bad ergonomics, terrible gas mileage, and boring looks I would not have bought.. oh wait. I didn't.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Yes, I agree with you. However, I believe there is less NAM traffic in the stock problems forum. Should the new thread go in "Coupe Talk (2007+)" category, or stay here?

I'd also like to make sure new owners or potential buyers know of this issue. I would have loved to have had this info prior to my purchase. If people start asking the MA's about these problems before signing a contract, that might get their attention too.

Based on the lack of response by Mini/BMW, we might be able to get their attention sooner if we can get potential buyers to start asking these questions about known yet unresolved issues. Had I known of the "blazing bonnet", DMF knock, 3-2 squeal, weeping jets that stain my stripes issues up front, I propably would not have purchased this car.

I am incredibly disappointed in the quality of this car.
Potential buyers should know what they are getting into.

I'm not sure where it would be best to post it, seems they created this seperate forum for a reason, there are multiple threads on it though, so maybe you can just post a link to the new one you create to consolidate and also increase traffic to it in the ones already created in 2007+?. It's a bummer you have all these problems, although the blazing bonnet and weeping seem related. Do you have the 3-2 squeal? and I don't know what DMF knock is. I'm still loving the car but my tune might change when my scoop starts melting. Start it up and post a link here so those of us with the problem can start joining you.

EDIT: Just read through all your posts. Seems like you can take a visit to the dealer and get a new ECU if you go in for warranty work. have you done this yet? if not, I suggest you do as this could be the simple solution. Also someone reported getting auto close windows, so seems there is a newer ECU than the one I have. Anyways, take it in if you haven't and hopefully it is fixed.

Last edited by mataku; 10-11-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
scott48
6th Gear
okay, so I checked with my hand, how hot the hood area by the scoop is after driving a little and then letting my car sit for like 8minutes....It was a warmer than when I had put my hand on it right after I turned the engine off, but I could of kept my hand on that area all day long.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Interesting... I for one, would love to know why is there such a large disparity in these temperatures.

I have found that being inside a garage (no air movement) or being outside does affect the results. Was it breezy there today. Do you have access to a garage to see if you get different results?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Interesting... I for one, would love to know why is there such a large disparity in these temperatures.

I have found that being inside a garage (no air movement) or being outside does affect the results. Was it breezy there today. Do you have access to a garage to see if you get different results?

Thanks.
nope, not breezy...after you wait like 8ish minutes and put your hand on the hood scoop area, can you keep your hand there or is it too hot?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
No, I can't keep mine there. That's why I broke out the IR thermometer to see how hot it was. My wifes '01 Maxima had a max temp of 123 on the hottest part of her hood. I can hold my hand there no problem.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
I posted a more consice description of the problem and how to test for everyone. We learned a lot in this thread, but should probably continue the discussion in the new one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...72#post1800572

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 PM
scott48
6th Gear
No, I can't keep mine there. That's why I broke out the IR thermometer to see how hot it was. My wifes '01 Maxima had a max temp of 123 on the hottest part of her hood. I can hold my hand there no problem.
my scoop has everyother column open...how about yours?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
yes, every over column is open on mine too.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
scott48
6th Gear
yes, every over column is open on mine too.
okay....I actually just e-mailed my motoring advisor about if he's heard of anything like this or any other warranty type issues....he's a really cool and knowledgeable guy...we're actually friends...if he finds anything out, I'll post it on here.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
That's great scott48!

Everyone in on this thread would definitely like any insights and/or information regarding Mini/BMW's intentions to fix this problem.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Does yours use the valve stem sensors or the other method to determine TP is low?
Mine has the 'new' TPMS sensors in the wheels. If you ask me, they are a pain in the butt. I'd rather just check the air in the tires myself. I don't need an idiot light.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 PM
scott48
6th Gear
see what I mean...e-mailed my M.A. a few minutes ago, and he already got back to me...I'll post what he said shortly.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
scott48
6th Gear
I totally forgot that my M.A. won a trip from MINI to Germany, where he drove the new Clubman, and was able to drive the new M5 on the Nurburgring!! He also just had his 2nd child.....so he's been out of the office but will get back to me tomorrow with info.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Sweet !

Hope he can tell us something. Even if it has to be considered unofficial.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 PM
mataku
5th Gear
I posted a more consice description of the problem and how to test for everyone. We learned a lot in this thread, but should probably continue the discussion in the new one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...72#post1800572

I say keep basic discussion here and use the other thread just for those with problems and resolutions and actions taken, so it doesn't get all cluttered in there. Leave a note in the other thread at the very top saying to only post if you have the problem and to state what they have done to resolve and what has happened. I guess what I would be nice is a concise thread with documentation as to the problems we are facing and what is going on, something that can easily be forwarded to MINIUSA, service managers, MA's, basically to anyone to show them that there is a problem w/o them having to dig through it.

Also, have you been able to get the ECU update?

As for how hot, I don't know exactly, but I can't keep my hand on there.

Last edited by mataku; 10-11-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bonnet cooling solution (Mellow Yellow)

Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
I took Ruska in for a paint issue and to have the scoop replaced on Monday, hopefully it'll be back from paint today. My SA was cool about replacing the bonnet scoop.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you take a pic before you sent it in?

Has anyone??

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Unfortunately no...it was depressed in the middle..like a semi-circular sag where the plastic met the metal.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Did you take a pic before you sent it in?

Has anyone??
There was one posted and now I cant find it ?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Duffer
3rd Gear
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but is this problem limited to the MCS. Have MC owners had this problem?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
all I have

I took a couple:

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop-phot0002.jpg   Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop-hoodmelt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop