North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Update: Inexpensive PS pump/fan fix (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/104969-update-inexpensive-ps-pump-fan-fix.html)

frenchie 03-23-2008 09:51 AM

I just did a search on car-parts.com and found a bunch of used pumps at the salvage yards. the prices ranged from $120 for a 2002 to $350 for 2004-2006. I also looked at the wiring and it appears, on mine anyway that the pump fan will not turn on until the radiator fan runs at high speed (both are energized by the same relay). The radiator fan comes on low at 105c, and comes on high at C. Normally the coolant wont reach C unless you have lost low speed (resistor on cooling fan open). So this makes me wonder how often does the little fan on the pump turn on. I just noticed that my pump runs constantly when the engine is on.....but stops running when the engine is off. back in 2002 when my car was new the dealer replaced the pump because it ran with the engine off. I now have 91K miles on the car. Anybody know what the warranty is from BBA-reman?

Guest 03-23-2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MikeL (Post 1586866)
FAN:
I had the opportunity to install the new fan I bought from Spal last night and everything looks good. The connector that came on the fan wasn't the same as the one on the car so I had to splice the correct one onto the new fan. The part number I ordered is VA32-A101-62A and the cost was $78.00 including shipping. For those who are anal about keeping their cars exactly stock, this isn't a solution for them as the Spal P/N is different on the MINI part. The MINI part is VA32-A103-62A. The A103 specifies the motor but the Spal rep. I talked to didn't know what the difference is. I suspect the MINI motor draws a little less current because the wires are a little bit larger on the new motor. It would be interesting to compare a working fan that is the right P/N to the one I have.

POWER STEERING PUMP:
Apparently the problem with the pump motors is that the brushes wear out. When I disassembled the dead pump motor, there was a huge pile of dust from the brushes inside and the brushes were worn out. I haven't fixed the pump yet but expect to do so in the next couple of days. I purchased a used one from a wrecked car that had 15K miles and I installed that last night. I plan to fix the old one and keep it on the shelf for use when the replacement dies.
Has anyone looked into the possibility of running a mechanical pump off the accessory drive belt instead of an electric motor? It seems like the problems and cost incurred with the electric pump offset whatever small gain could be had by running an electric pump.

Any possibility of finding a brushless replacement that could do the same thing? Running a mechanical drive for the PS on such a small engine is going to be a bad idea. You'll lose some fuel economy, and undoubtedly power, especially in the low RPM's.

earlrabbit 05-11-2008 06:39 PM

Reviving an old post

difference is very minor.. the a101 is rated at 2.2a constant also 250cmf the a103 is at 2.0a constant and 230cmf. So yeah is an upgrade since its moving more air.
I now have the same problem and I'm looking to go the Spal way as well. As I look at the Spal USA website however; they list the A101 @148cfm and not 250.:confused:

MikeL - how has your fan been working?

ScottinBend 05-21-2008 05:32 PM

Hope we can locate a nice low cost alternative to the OEM one.

putttn 05-22-2008 05:57 AM

How do you remove the fan?? I've never done my own oil change yet so not familar with how this could be done.

ScottinBend 05-22-2008 06:55 AM

Couple of screws and the wiring plug.

Nothing to it.

ScottinBend 05-23-2008 07:57 AM

Here is a link to the fan duct from the convertable that would help prevent debris from getting to the fan

Eurothrasher 06-08-2008 01:00 PM

Waiting for help too

Originally Posted by drfubar (Post 1701927)
Mikel,

Should the PS fan spin constantly when the car is on? Or is it temp activated?
Sorry, about the many questions... just want to make sure what im doing is ok.

Thanks.

Does Anyone know ? :confused:

frenchie 06-08-2008 06:05 PM

The PS fan should only run when the radiator fan runs on high speed.

Bajanmini 03-17-2009 05:40 PM

BBA-reman did a PS pump for me on a Nissan,still working after 1 1/2 yrs hily recomended,i have read somewhere recently on this forum you can replace the bearing on the fan for a $1.50 actually the bearing was also available in Stainless Steel as apparently that's what seizes up.

tennis_man 03-18-2009 03:48 PM

Here is a link to the replacement bearing that is used in the fan:

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...=695RS-Bearing

03MINICooperS_66 04-13-2009 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ScottinBend (Post 2251062)
Here is a link to the fan duct from the convertable that would help prevent debris from getting to the fan

After seeing how low this duct mounted, I decide to just fabricate a screen only, from some scrap expanded metal stucco lath, and be done with it.

Yo'sDad 04-14-2009 10:48 AM

How freely should the fan turn by flipping it with a small screwdriver. Mine works when electrified, but every time I change my oil I turn on the key and A/C (no engine running) to verify the fan runs. But it does not freewheel much at all, it slows down very fast.

On a good or new one, how long does it continue to spin when you give it a flip?

YD

03MINICooperS_66 04-14-2009 12:56 PM

The PS fan, being a DC motor, won't completely freewheel due to the pole magnets. If you spin it slowly, you should feel a "bump" approx every 60 degrees. It will therefore not continue to spin, very long, after you "flip" it with a screwdriver.
How are you getting the fan to come on with key on, engine off, and no radiator fan running? Mine only operates with engine running, and radiator fan running, which is normal.

Yo'sDad 04-14-2009 07:22 PM

Thank you for the info. I get mine to run by turning on my A/C. I'm sure the A/C forces on the radiator fan, which in turn allows or forces the PS fan to run.

Next oil change I plan to pull the fan and try to see what condition the bearings are in, if possilble.

I am also investigating the web to see which blown fuse indicator circuit would be best to monitor the fan fuse. I'll keep working on that one.

YD

GTV 04-14-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ScottinBend (Post 2251062)
Here is a link to the fan duct from the convertible that would help prevent debris from getting to the fan

Has anyone tried this product - PS fan duck & panel (factory upgraded version)?

It says it can be applied only to 02-06 S Hatchback & 04-08 S Convertible - NOT applicable for Mini Cooper only?

herbie hind 04-21-2009 02:55 PM

just bought the spal fan from a1 electric paid for drop ship cause out of stock but happy with price nonethe less

bhk1004 04-28-2009 01:42 PM

so im hearing someone decided to completely buy out spal on this part...

herbie hind 04-28-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bhk1004 (Post 2750087)
so im hearing someone decided to completely buy out spal on this part...

i got the call and the fans are back ordered till july lol . i told him that's fine i'll still take it . got the feeling someones gonna jack the price up . a holes .

bhk1004 04-29-2009 08:27 AM

anyone have another option for a cheap fix? i liked this fan since it seemed slightly more powerful than the older ones.... but yah my GF needs one like yesterday so i need to pick one up. another good option would be great... if not im gonna have to end up getting one from mini...

herbie hind 04-29-2009 04:48 PM

try the directory venders mini car parts or something is usually competitive .

DMBFan2 07-20-2009 09:26 AM

here's a thread I came upon while researching DIY power steering pump fixtures.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1155462

Hope this helps.

Rufurt 08-18-2009 07:31 PM

My PS pump failed on my 03 MCS (~120K miles, so way out of warranty) in April of 2008. Had the PS pump replaced at a non-Mini garage. They did a great job at 75% the Mini cost.

When that happened I took off the ps fan and cleaned the gunk and debris out of it. It still worked. As a precaution I bought the SPAL VA32-A101-62A fan to keep as a spare.

With this wave of hot weather I thought it would be prudent to check the ps fan again. checked it tonight and it was gritty. Took it out and cleaned it till it spun freely and reinstalled the it. Didn't have the time or soldering tools to put the new fan in tonight. I tested the old fan by turning on the car and turning on the AC. The old ps fan didn't come on after letting the car run with the AC for 2-3 minutes.

Should I wait longer with the AC on for the ps fan to turn on and spin up, or is it pretty instantaneous? If it doesn't come on tomorrow I will pull the fan and test it on a 12V power supply to see it spins up.

Rufurt 08-19-2009 06:55 AM

Cleaned and bench tested my original ps fan. Still works. So I reinstalled it on the car. Don't see the need quite yet to put in the SPAL replacement fan.

I would still like to see the fan spin up while on the car. That would set my mind at ease.

zuneuser9 08-19-2009 11:55 AM

Does any one know if u can bypass the pump altogether and just have manual steering. I ve seen this done on early model bmw.

gokaht 10-30-2009 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by tennis_man (Post 2704526)
Here is a link to the replacement bearing that is used in the fan:

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...=695RS-Bearing

Link is dead - would this work?
http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan..._Code=bearings

Also, what about mounting a traditional mechanical pump where the A/C comp goes? I'm taking mine out anyways, and was going to put one of those mounted deflector pulleys in its place - why not install a mechanical pump there to take its place?

Densmini 10-30-2009 06:21 PM

I believe Moss Motors makes an electric, remote-mount p/s kit for MGBs. Not cheap, but as far as I know, requires no fan and so opens up some mounting possibilities. Just a thought.

ZippyNH 10-31-2009 06:59 PM

Please remember the Factory fix!!

I strongly recommend installing a new fan for $130...I got mine from the great folks at WayMotorWorks, then get the Factory Upgraded Power Steering Fan Duct & Panel...$80.00
Then you will never have to worry about road grime, sand, dust, ice chunks, etc destroying your fan...and eventually you PS pump again!!

Just putting a screen and or a deflector over or around the fan WILL NOT keep it out of the crap from getting to your fan..it will prevent plastic bags, etc from jamming it.....just like most of the aftermarket solutions.

If you can drill 2 hole in the PS fan mounting shield...you can install this in 10 Minutes...max. I did. Should pay for itself ...very quickly!! Especially if it saves a $500+ PS pump or a 130+ fan.

The fix is simple, eloquent, well engineered, and factory tested. Pretty cheap too!!

"There have been reports of Power Steering Pump failure for higher mileage Mini Coopers. Moss now has the only BMW Mini Cooper factory solution to extend the life of the power steering pump - a special ducting system to supply much needed air to the power steering pump fan. Drilling required."
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...79&SortOrder=1

I'm sure a few of our vendors must stock this part. It may not be sexy, or make your car go faster, but it makes it go less expensively (saving you from buying expensive parts), longer, and more reliably. Tough to beat that with a stick!!

http://www.mossmini.com/Graphics/Pro.../101-590_1.jpg

msjulie33 11-04-2009 01:26 PM

"There have been reports of Power Steering Pump failure for higher mileage Mini Coopers. Moss now has the only BMW Mini Cooper factory solution to extend the life of the power steering pump - a special ducting system to supply much needed air to the power steering pump fan. Drilling required."
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...79&SortOrder=1

http://www.mossmini.com/Graphics/Pro.../101-590_1.jpg

tis a bit of a crime that this part wasn't stock on the hardtop minis but was on the drop tops. why? does fit just perfectly on my 06 MCS hardtop FYI

ZippyNH 11-05-2009 07:52 AM

It fit perfectly on my early '05 s. The only mod I had to do to make it fit was drill 2 holes in the metal fan holder/shroud. Newer cars are delevered with the 2 holes in it. Also if you have replaced you ps fan with the assembly...usually 180 vs the 130 dollar fan only part, you should already have the holes. You simply remove one plastic panel from the underside of you car....two half turns of a philips srewdriver, and then put on the new piece. Attatch 4 clips, half turns with a philips, and you are done. I beleve this kit was standard on all the cabrio's, and S's with the auto transmission. Not totaly sure, but it seems to fix all of our ps fan problems, and hopefuly extend the life of the power steering motor. Heck, mini even announched they had made a change in later model mini's to fix the ps issue, and the power steering pump update was listed to be limited to sound/vibration reduction, so I reason, THIS is the change...the duct panel.
Not sure if it is mountible to just-a-Cooper.

anyheck 01-03-2010 06:30 PM

Regular cooper too?

I know that the ducting system is designated for "S only", but is there a reason that this won't fit/work on the regular Cooper?

It seems like it would be beneficial for everyone not originally equipped to keep the PS fan operating.

I have a 2003 btw if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Sten

jdonaldlukas 01-20-2010 12:06 PM

Does anyone know if it's okay/not okay to drive without the PS pump in place while it's away being remanufactured?

Xymox 01-20-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jdonaldlukas (Post 2961683)
Does anyone know if it's okay/not okay to drive without the PS pump in place while it's away being remanufactured?

It's perfectly fine. I did it for 2+ weeks while mine was out. I actually got quite use to it (sans parking). ;)

ikappedkermit 01-26-2010 08:05 AM

I replace the PSP on my '05 MCS over the weekend - the directions at the beginning of this thread are extremely accurate... the only thing I would add or stress is the need to slot the bolt hole on the subframe - it would greatly ease the re-install and any subsequent removal of the pump... all else is very straightforward.

DMBFan2 01-27-2010 06:33 AM

Is it that a majority of pump failures are associated with high temps in the pump? If the PS fan goes out, then chances are high that the PS will go out as well. (at least in AZ.) Has anyone thought about using a fan that moves more air, like a blower or using an oil cooler for the PS fluid and running to the front of the car?

ikappedkermit 01-27-2010 06:39 AM

From all that I've read, it looks like a design issue - the brushes create a significant amount of dust inside the pump housing (with no place to escape) and the pump eventually "locks up"... I do not know if the potential heat is a contributing factor, but some have said that a fan failure without replacement has had minimal effect on the performance of the pump... most of this is my interpretation of the info provided in threads here and on other Mini forums.

DMBFan2 01-27-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad (Post 2734511)
How freely should the fan turn by flipping it with a small screwdriver. Mine works when electrified, but every time I change my oil I turn on the key and A/C (no engine running) to verify the fan runs. But it does not freewheel much at all, it slows down very fast.

On a good or new one, how long does it continue to spin when you give it a flip?

YD

Since the fan can operate when wet, I put 3-4 drops of Royal Purple oil (since I was changing my oil at the time) in between the fan and the fan housing. This seemed to work really well. Now my fan spins really free and very fast!:thumbsup:

ZippyNH 01-27-2010 07:39 AM

Unfortunately the Power Steering Pump Motor is not of the brush-less variety...so when the Brushes wear to some magical limit (ok, not magical, but talk to an electrical engineer)....it stops running. Keeping a electric motor cool will help to limit brush wear....So keep it cool, and it should last longer!!

DMBFan2 01-27-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ikappedkermit (Post 2967127)
From all that I've read, it looks like a design issue - the brushes create a significant amount of dust inside the pump housing (with no place to escape) and the pump eventually "locks up"... I do not know if the potential heat is a contributing factor, but some have said that a fan failure without replacement has had minimal effect on the performance of the pump... most of this is my interpretation of the info provided in threads here and on other Mini forums.

Let me see if I understand correctly....

If an oil cooler (or really small radiator) were used and routed to the front of the car it would keep the pump cool and when its time to change PS fluid it would provide and easy access point. Sure you would need to buy more PS fluid than normal but wouldn't it help?

DMBFan2 01-27-2010 10:45 AM

How do you flush the system accurately without going through an entire bottle of fluid?