STF (Street Touring FWD) STS legal header??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 PM
conedodger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there such a thing out there? All the headers hava a cat attached to them and for STS this is not good. I found one but there is NO cat in the system, so that will not work either.

Help me out,

Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
The simple answer is "No."

There are two rules that apply:
14.10.C Header, emissions legal.
14.10.A Engine and transmission must unmodified, include emissions equipment, except as noted below: (and no exceptions are made for emissions.)

In order for a header to be legal, it would have to connect to the stock cat, which you would have to get welded together, or the header manufacturer would have to source the cat from Mini. And then they would have to have it 49-state certified for a CARB exemption.

But from the shown dyno charts, a header doesn't help an MC for STS. Peak power increases are no more than 5 HP and in autocross, you're speeding far more time in the 2500-4500 rpm range than at 6500. And you're losing torque in that critical range. For the $750, you can get camber plates and rear links and lunch. All of which will make you feel much better than the header.

My intended mods are intake, cat-back, and OneClick from AmD. That should be 17-23 HP for ~$1000. But that will be after: camber plates, rear links, anti-sway bars, wheels, tires, shocks, and springs. All of which will provide me far quicker times than a few hp. I could also use some driving lessons, which would be the best investment.

Don't worry about not having a header. Not all allowable modifications are necessary to be competitive. If you want to worry, decide what you're going to do when the '06 Mini arrives with 140 HP/135 ft-lbs from the factory. All the same great handling and 160 HP, or more, in STS trim.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
justintime
6th Gear
obx is suppose to give good tourque results.. cant say if its for the MC though

Originally Posted by DancesWithCones
The simple answer is "No."

There are two rules that apply:
14.10.C Header, emissions legal.
14.10.A Engine and transmission must unmodified, include emissions equipment, except as noted below: (and no exceptions are made for emissions.)

In order for a header to be legal, it would have to connect to the stock cat, which you would have to get welded together, or the header manufacturer would have to source the cat from Mini. And then they would have to have it 49-state certified for a CARB exemption.

But from the shown dyno charts, a header doesn't help an MC for STS. Peak power increases are no more than 5 HP and in autocross, you're speeding far more time in the 2500-4500 rpm range than at 6500. And you're losing torque in that critical range. For the $750, you can get camber plates and rear links and lunch. All of which will make you feel much better than the header.

My intended mods are intake, cat-back, and OneClick from AmD. That should be 17-23 HP for ~$1000. But that will be after: camber plates, rear links, anti-sway bars, wheels, tires, shocks, and springs. All of which will provide me far quicker times than a few hp. I could also use some driving lessons, which would be the best investment.

Don't worry about not having a header. Not all allowable modifications are necessary to be competitive. If you want to worry, decide what you're going to do when the '06 Mini arrives with 140 HP/135 ft-lbs from the factory. All the same great handling and 160 HP, or more, in STS trim.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 AM
41 h stock
2nd Gear
FYI regarding Hi-Flow cats in STS.

STREET TOURING CATEGORY

July 2007 Fastrack News
ITEM 10) Add new 14.10E, re-letter subsequent sections accordingly: Catalytic converters may be replaced by aftermarket units. Replacements must:
1) Be certified for use in that vehicle application by the manufacturer or reconditioner, 2) Bear correct EPA-mandated labeling, 3) Be of the OE quantity and type (i.e. oxidation, three-way, etc.) and 4) Be used in the same location(s) as the OE converter(s). This does allow for high performance replacements, provided they meet all restrictions herein.”

SCCA Fastrack News October 2007
NOTE: This proposal is in response to member input from STS/STS2 competitors on the recent Stock category proposal to limit catalytic converter replacement to OE-only, and to continuing questions regarding legality of OE-equivalent aftermarket cats. The proposal meets two primary tenets of the Street Touring category by allowing a common street tuner performance mod (i.e. hi-flow cats) while maintaining emissions legality, as defined by the EPA. For reference, the EPA regulations are summarized in the document labeled “What You Should Know About Using, Installing, or Buying Aftermarket Catalytic Converters.”

Old 02-18-2008, 06:03 AM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Dances....Did you mean to say end links or did you mean to say lower rear control arms? To the best of my knowledge end link replacement is not allowed in STS. As for a header for STS I stopped looking about 4 months ago (couldn't find a decent one that was legal) besides any gain you have, would be lost in that restrictive stock CAT. Most of the hi-flow CATs I've seen are of a different type than stock and therefore not allowed. If anyone finds a decent 4-1 header and CAT let me know. The best one I found was Larini 4-1, 2.5" with (2) 200 cell CATs 86% unrestricted but it uses a different method in the CAT from stock so it's not allowed.