STF (Street Touring FWD) Looking to step up to STS but need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to step up to STS but need HELP!

I have recently Trophied (1 first and 1 second) in Novice class and my PAX scores were high enough to trophy in STS at those two events as well (both were summer events at the same time of year 1 in Flagstaff AZ. held by our local club and 1 in Phoenix AZ. for some larger event experience). Now I competed as STS but in Novice and all I Had for modifications were:

Short ram intake
Borla cat-back
Alta 22mm RASW (on softest setting)
Konig 15 x 6.5 wheels
Falken Azenis RT-615 205/50 R15
New Generation OEM R50 clutch (much softer pedal feel, more bite but smooth, Easier to feather)

As you can see I have alot of moding to do and I already have a ECU flash on the way . I was just into the dealership to have the new clutch installed and they told me I will be needing new pads and rotors soon. So I guess I might as well do it right and do the lines, fluid and caliper bushing kit when I do the pads and rotors upgrade. Those two mods and the seat time of a season series should take of about another 6% off my times!!! I'm within 5 seconds of TTOD as STS and was 6.5 Sec. as HS. Camber plates and 4 point harness are after the brakes. Now theres alot of money to come up with so I was wondering what is the legality of finding someone willing to sponser you with a donation to your car in the way of a modification or two, in exchange for a magnetic removable graphic with their logo on it placed on the car when she at the track? If permissable does that classify you as pro?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I don't think the caliper bushing kit is legal for STS. Just a heads up - you should check the rules yourself, though - don't take my word for it.

You can run any stickers/magnetics on your car that you want (assuming they're not profane or something), there's really no formal "pro" classification for autocross.

I have toyed with setting up my Mini for STS since I bought the car, but have always chickened out. I think they can be a fairly quick STS car, but they're sorta porky, and suffer from very limited suspension travel in the front.

Since you're taking the plunge, I would definitely recommend camber plates ASAP.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 AM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Well I looked at the online rules and there is nothing noted in the stock, ST, SP or SM that allows or disallows caliper bushings being replaced. If anyone has any expereince with this mods allowance please let me know. But I think I will replace them and ask forgiveness if it is found they are not allowed.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
90STX
5th Gear
FYI, the way the SCCA Solo rules work is that if they don't specifically say it is legal, then it is not.

SS brake lines are legal, any pads are legal, any fluid is legal, replacement rotors (can be drilled or slotted) in factory sizes are legal. That's it.

Scott
90SM

Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GOTCURVES
But I think I will replace them and ask forgiveness if it is found they are not allowed.
I wouldn't take this tact (especially if you're going to run for a local season championship), I've personally seen it blow up into huge issues multiple times.

I know things like caliper bushings aren't a big deal, but if your car is 100% legal, it can makes things go a little smoother. For example, what if someone else shows up in your STS class with an illegal mod that really does help - you really wouldn't have any moral high ground when it came time to ask them to change classes or make the car legal.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Well I guess that solves that issue no bushing kit. I have noticed in autocross there is ALOT of trust that one must have as well as integrity, because the way I see (and for the pros maybe it's this way any way) but you would nearly have to disassemble the car quite a bite if there was some question as to weather the car is legal or not. If someone questioned my car and wanted to check to see if I had installed a cliper bushing kit (and not all cars have these) I would then give up the trophy to save someone tearing into my car but thats me personaly.