North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   South (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south-22/)
-   -   [San Antonio/Austin] motoring to Shiner 7/16 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south/45586-san-antonio-austin-motoring-to-shiner-7-16-a.html)

azuul 06-21-2005 03:52 PM

[San Antonio/Austin] motoring to Shiner 7/16

The South TX MINI Club is planning a run starting somewhere between Austin and San Antonio near New Braunfels (maybe Gruene) to Shiner on Saturday 7/16. This will likely be an afternoon run. First leg to Luling to eat barbeque and then on to the Shiner drive-in for movies. The movies (they show 2 features) on 7/16 are currently planning to be Fantastic Four and Batman or Bewitched. Movies start at about 9pm and go until 1am and the entrance fee is $5 per person.

After that, we can either "camp-in" at the drive-in (includes a breakfast option, don't know the cost yet), get some motel rooms, or motor back (remember it will be 1am so it might be better to just spend the night). Chef Richie and I are still working out these details. Let me know if you are interested and we'll add you to the list. For those coming from Houston, once we post the barbeque time for Luling, if you desire, you can meet us there and motor the rest of the way together.

Let's motor!

azuul 07-03-2005 07:16 AM

Update and details on Shiner Run 7/16

Any MINIacs can meet us in Luling for BBQ at 4:30 pm and then motor the rest of the way with the STMC. Here are the details of the run --

Meet at the TA gas station at Exit 193 off IH35 (close to halfway between Austin and San Antonio) at 3:00 pm. Fill up and then first car out at 3:30 pm.

Motor (via the route that Kathy and I scoped out on July 1) to Luling to City Market (BBQ place) for dinner (cash only, bring cash). We should get there at about 4:30 pm to eat!! City Market closes at 6pm

Regather after dinner at 5:45pm, first car out at 6:00 pm. Motor via a very circuitous route from Luling to Shiner. Arrive in Shiner at about 8:15pm - 8:30pm ish. Drive by the motel in Shiner before we get to the drive-in, so those who reserved a room can check-in. (We need to check-in before the movies since the motel office closes at 11pm or so, way before the 2 movies are done). Movies will be from about 9:00 pm through about 1:00 am. Movies are Fantastic Four and Batman Begins or Bewitched.

After the movies, some are motoring back home and some are staying in the ONE motel in Shiner. The motel is the Country Inn. We recommend calling and reserving a room in advance if you plan to stay in Shiner. They only have 2 rooms left (after Kathy and I reserved our room), so if you plan to run and stay, you’ll need to call in your reservation soon. Room prices are room with a queen bed is $47 plus tax, and room with 2 doubles or a king is $50 plus tax. There are also some B&Bs in Shiner.

About the route, remember that the roads will not be a twistee as running in the Hill Country, but still fun. We did come upon a few gems, but it takes motoring on some non-twistees to get there.

Motor on dudes!!!!!