North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   South (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south-22/)
-   -   RMW Southeast tune/dyno (Atlanta, GA) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south/191977-rmw-southeast-tune-dyno-atlanta-ga.html)

C H I C K L E T 07-28-2010 09:17 AM

NO CLUE...its going to take time to dyno 10+ cars. We might have to make this a two day thing. Thats a question for Jan...:wink:

futuremini 07-28-2010 10:23 AM

Yea I thought it would be 2 days.....at least. :)

countryboyshane 07-28-2010 12:23 PM

This discussion will actually be useful when there is a solid date.:impatient:

C H I C K L E T 07-28-2010 04:43 PM

I know...all I can say is...please give Jan a chance to catch up with his work. He is very busy and (we) haven't started talking details. If you can't wait...go ahead and get the canned tune. :thumbsup:

countryboyshane 07-28-2010 05:26 PM

Yea yea yea I'm just curious still. I can't make it because of work but i'd still like to see the numbers everyone gets.

Revolution Mini Works 07-28-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by countryboyshane (Post 3100363)
Yea yea yea I'm just curious still. I can't make it because of work but i'd still like to see the numbers everyone gets.

there are probably at least 50 dyno sheets on NAM ............how many more you need?:razz:

orangecrush 07-30-2010 01:29 PM

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dium/dyno9.jpg

And this is from 2 tunes ago.... I assure you it's better than this. This last tune was a remarkable improvement over the graph I'm showing you.

Mark

slopeslider 07-30-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 3101659)
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dium/dyno9.jpg

And this is from 2 tunes ago.... I assure you it's better than this. This last tune was a remarkable improvement over the graph I'm showing you.

Mark

Mark,

Very nice :thumbsup: . What type of engine mods do you have?

orangecrush 07-30-2010 01:49 PM

Not much really....

JCW cold air intake with aftermarket filter
Forge Intercooler
ED downpipe
JCW Stage I exhaust

And one boost tube... I think an M7 cold side to bypass the built in muffler.

As Jan will tell you, sometimes simplier is better.

Mark

C H I C K L E T 07-30-2010 06:42 PM

Wow just wow Mark...:thumbsup:

Jan's the MAN!

Eddie07S 07-30-2010 06:43 PM

ED downpipe? what is this?
Is the JCW cold air intake the stock filter housing replacement that allows the cylinder/conical filter?

C H I C K L E T 07-30-2010 06:45 PM

ED = Exhaust Depot

Yea its prolly the stock JCW intake

orangecrush 07-30-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by C H I C K L E T (Post 3101831)
ED = Exhaust Depot

Yea its prolly the stock JCW intake

Correct, it's the stock JCW intake that comes with the Stage I kit.

Mark

Eddie07S 07-30-2010 07:08 PM

:thumbsup: thanks

davisflyer 07-30-2010 10:30 PM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

Mods are RMW cam and header. That's it!:thumbsup:

Eddie07S 07-31-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by davisflyer (Post 3101935)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

Mods are RMW cam and header. That's it!:thumbsup:

And the Hp is still going up at redline:nod: :thumbsup: That cam has got to be really good for it to be breathing that well that high up and have really good low end torque:thumbsup: :thumbsup: You just need a higher redline to take advantage of it:lol: :lol: :lol:

davisflyer 07-31-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3101989)
And the Hp is still going up at redline:nod: :thumbsup: That cam has got to be really good for it to be breathing that well that high up and have really good low end torque:thumbsup: :thumbsup: You just need a higher redline to take advantage of it:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it turns out that the guy sitting in the car was releasing the gas pedal at indicated redline, rather than the new 7200 rpm redline

Eddie07S 08-01-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 3101839)
Correct, it's the stock JCW intake that comes with the Stage I kit.

Mark

I checked out the ED downpipe. This and all of the JCW parts are not inexpensive to buy and put in. The only things that I can find that people seem to universally agree with that helps power is Jan's tune (or the like) and the intercooler. Can you offer up any comments as to how think your other mod helped out:confused: :nod:

Eddie07S 08-01-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by davisflyer (Post 3102417)
Actually it turns out that the guy sitting in the car was releasing the gas pedal at indicated redline, rather than the new 7200 rpm redline

And it looks like, if you trace the curve out to 7300, it is still going up:thumbsup: or at the very least just hitting peak. Nice improvement:nod: Maybe that's worth a "+" after the 223:lol: :lol: :lol:

Short Wait 08-01-2010 08:14 AM

Sign me up (initial tune). Eight hour drive but have relatives/friends in Atlanta so no problem if it's a two day event.

orangecrush 08-01-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3102536)
I checked out the ED downpipe. This and all of the JCW parts are not inexpensive to buy and put in. The only things that I can find that people seem to universally agree with that helps power is Jan's tune (or the like) and the intercooler. Can you offer up any comments as to how think your other mod helped out:confused: :nod:

Here's the deal....

The tune is by far the cheapest, simpliest and best bang for your buck. PERIOD.

You don't have to have the other mods, they just help the tune work better when used in conjunction with.

Having said that....

The air intake is a minimal enhancement. A good filter in a stock air intake will yield you "close" to the same results. Is it worth the difference, probably not but after coming off buying H2 and Corvette parts, I thought the parts were pretty cheap so for me it was a no brainer.

Intercooler. Let me say this... Even though manufacturers claim HP increase, I disagree. I don't think you can feel a seat of your pants nor see an increase (if so, very minimal) on the dyno.

The intercooler does not increase HP. What the intercooler does however, is allow the engine not to get heat soaked and therefore helps slow down HP loss from heat.

Personally, if I weren't going to the track, I wouldn't buy an intercooler.

Hot side boost tube. Again, not sure if you'll ever see an increase on a dyno or seat of your pants but for the minimal cost, it allows you to remove the muffler from the factory in the boost tube. Anything that removes the muffler surely has to allow a better flow of air.

Now, I did not install a cold side boost tube (I did originally) but I had sealing problems and it's a complete PIA to make it fit correctly. Just not worth it in my opinion.

ED downpipe. This is one item you can feel a seat of your pants increase. It may be more so the noise you get from the exhaust now being louder but it feels like it makes a huge difference.

Again, if it were me and I was to do this all over, I wouldn't waste my time on the downpipe. Because of it not having brackets, I've melted 3 valvecovers, it has cost me time and money. If I had made two brackets on it when I bought it, it would have been great but it has cost me so much more. (lost my warranty because of it (got it back but...))

Exhaust.... doing a full exhaust does help. Exhausts can be expensive but again, when used in conjunction with everything else, it does help.

So, where does this leave us?

If I were a newbie and wanted some extra power, I would do 3 things.

1) Jan's RMW tune
2) Cold air intake or better filter
3) exhaust (catback) (the catback in this case isn't so much for power but the right exhaust sounds GREAT)

HTH's,

Mark

Eddie07S 08-01-2010 10:54 AM

That's a great help!:nod: Thanks:thumbsup:.
I will probably do the IC for a couple of reasons. I have gotten into tracking my car (I blame Slinger688 for that). But I do think that reducing restrictions is always the right way to go. So this would be along the lines of replacing the hot side boost tube; although a few $$ more:lol: Altough, even on the street I have seen the manifold temp rise by quite a bit going uphill or passing. Higher temp, lower Hp, more throttle, lower gas milage. Will you see a difference? - maybe not. But it seem that the heat adds stress to the engine and reducing that should be a good thing. Ok, I am probably rationalizing, but it sounds good.

The Tune is in my bucket list:razz: . But, from what I have read it seems that it would be best to get the rest of these things out of the way, get the dyno and then the custom tune.:grin:

Here's the #1 question in everyone's mind - what is the right exhaust?:confused: And I am sure the answer is - the one that sounds right to you:lol:

orangecrush 08-01-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3102601)

Here's the #1 question in everyone's mind - what is the right exhaust?:confused: And I am sure the answer is - the one that sounds right to you:lol:

I can tell you this. I've had several different exhausts including a 1000 full exhaust from Exhaust Depot to homemade muffler systems and OEM JCW exhaust, I ended up back to the JCW Stage I exhaust and 2 1/2 front half coming off the downpipe.

It took a little modification (well, a lot since I did a ton of welding, cutting and taking on and off....lol)

If I had to just go out and buy an exhaust (catback) and didn't want to fool with it, I'd either go with the JCW stage I exhaust or a Milltek.

For me, it's not just about sound. I'm already assuming the performance is about the same.... but how it looks and certain things like drone noises, etc, etc..

I ended up with the Stage I because I can hear it while I'm driving without being too noisy, it doesn't drone on the highway and I love the look of the tailpipe extensions.

My .02 worth....

Mark

slopeslider 08-01-2010 07:25 PM

What type of HP should I expect with both intake and exhaust on my '08 Clubman S after the tune?

davisflyer 08-01-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3102538)
And it looks like, if you trace the curve out to 7300, it is still going up:thumbsup: or at the very least just hitting peak. Nice improvement:nod: Maybe that's worth a "+" after the 223:lol: :lol: :lol:

True. The limiting factor on my car was not the cam, but the injectors. Had i had bigger than stock 380's, I think Jan could have pushed the rpm's up a little bit more. Better to be safe though!:nod:

Soon to come, big valve head + a little something extra:lol:.