South Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisianna, and Texas

Mini Motoring Club of Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:25 PM
frodo_mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in! I've been looking for a group since I moved to New Orleans a few years ago
Anything planned so far?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to test drive a MINI and I'll ask Lance whats up with the club.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:24 PM
slomo
1st Gear
So I guess this thread just up and died then? I don't own a Mini, but looking at it to be my next car.:smile:

Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems like gulfsouthmotoring died with it!! Lance is no longer with Brian Harris and hasn't been for a little over a month and nothing has been active on that board for sometime now. That really sucks. Slomo are you from around here?

Old 05-27-2005, 08:38 PM
slomo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wildone3c
It seems like gulfsouthmotoring died with it!! Lance is no longer with Brian Harris and hasn't been for a little over a month and nothing has been active on that board for sometime now. That really sucks. Slomo are you from around here?
Kind of,I'm from Alex. I was in Baton Rouge for a autocross a few saturdays ago. The AutoX was on the west side of town but some how on the way home afterwards I ended up at the dealership. I've always like the cars from a distance, once I got to walk around and really check one out, I fell in love.

I'm in no hurry to get one between getting kids out of car seats and getting a few other things straight, I'm looking to get one around the 1st of next year.
Do you know anything about a demo going on down there coming up soon? There is a guy giving rides on a race course set up behind the dealership?

Old 05-29-2005, 04:13 PM
wildone3c
That's pretty cool!! I go to alexandrea every one in a while to visit a friend who lives up there. I know how much of a pain it is getting kids in and out of the car seats and allthough I don't have any of my own, I have a 2 year old neice who I pick up from daycare at least 2 to 3 times a month and it's really not bad getting a young one in a baby/booster seat in the mini. I thought it would be difficult but was proven wrong. Allthough, I would much rather a 4 door car for that!! I havn't heard anything about any demo or a race course setup behind the dealership but that would be cool if they did something like that. I do know that this Saturday June 4th, They are Having Mini Mania at the dealership. I believe it is the first one so there's no telling what they will have. If you are in town you should come. I spoke with Eric at the dealership and he said it is supposed to be pretty cool. BTY Did you get a chance to drive a Mini when you were at the dealership?

Old 05-29-2005, 06:51 PM
slomo
1st Gear
No, I didn't have time to take a test drive. I did get to drive one at a kumho tire test a few months back here in Alex. It was only about a 5 sec course, basically 3 short turns. That short drive told how much grip they had, but the trip to Brian Harris gave me a chance to walk around and really check it out.That's when I fell in love with it. My wife wasn't with me at the time so WE need to make a trip down there. I'll try to do it on the 4th. The only thing is she thinks it's a ugly car,but then she said the same thing about the focus.Besides she won't be driving it anyways SHHHHH
I think that's what he was talking about. They sponsors a guy that runs out at NPR. I think he will be giving people rides on a small autocross course around back. I've been autocrossing my 4dr focus for 3 or 4 years now. I think I ran against this guy a few years back. I think he ran G/S, and he only beat my by a few tenths. I've thought about going down in the the Focus and asking "If I beat him do I get a really big discount?" j/k But then he is a road racer and dosen't do much autocrossing so that would give me an edge.

If you've never tried AutoX before you need to try. The mini was made for autoX. If your interested let me know. Most of the time I run Lake Charles, but I think it's around the 14th of June they are having a night autoX in Baton Rouge. I'm planning on going to it, they have a nice site ant the EVO center and I've never been to a night autocross. If you've never done it and you own a Mini you have to try it. They should make it one of the rules when you buy the car.Let me know if your interested.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Hey SloMo, I'm in the Lafayette area and have a 2005 auto MINI. If you want to test drive it I can arrange it as long as you promise not to get all crazy on me.

I'd love to see a real MINI club form up in Louisiana but there aren't many people from LA on here. I plan to talk to Eric about it on Saturday at MINI Mania.

Lance didn't do much except start a website. He was pretty much fired for a conflict of interest at the dealer so he's pretty much done with a MINI club I'm sure.

See you Saturday wildone. I'll be in the purple with the black top.

Matt

Old 05-29-2005, 07:59 PM
slomo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Hey SloMo, I'm in the Lafayette area and have a 2005 auto MINI. If you want to test drive it I can arrange it as long as you promise not to get all crazy on me.

I'd love to see a real MINI club form up in Louisiana but there aren't many people from LA on here. I plan to talk to Eric about it on Saturday at MINI Mania.

Lance didn't do much except start a website. He was pretty much fired for a conflict of interest at the dealer so he's pretty much done with a MINI club I'm sure.

See you Saturday wildone. I'll be in the purple with the black top.

Matt
Thanks for the offer, but I would hate to torture my self knowing I'm going to have to waite another 6 to 7 months to even order mine. I would buy one with out ever even sitting behind the wheel.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
wildone3c
Originally Posted by slomo
Thanks for the offer, but I would hate to torture my self knowing I'm going to have to waite another 6 to 7 months to even order mine. I would buy one with out ever even sitting behind the wheel.
That's what I did and it made me want one more and more everytime I drove one. Plus the fact that 2 of my coworkers had one didn't help either. LOL I would love to go to an autocross event especally if the Mini is involved or even drive mine on an autocross track but I just havn't had any free time from work. It sucks!!!! Well if you do get a chance to come Saturday to Brian Harris I'll be in the all black Mini S. That would be sweet if someone's going to be giving autocross rides in the back of the dealership. They do have the space if they move some cars around so I don't doubt that. Hey Matt I'm in for a club in la. I've been wanting to get a club together but just havn't had the time lately or been able to get ahold on any fellow mini owners. There are about 6 mini's in Hammond alone but Don't know any of them!! I live about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from Lafayette and 20-25 min from Brian harris so driving wouldn't be a problem!! That would be cool See ya saturday. I'll be in the all black Mini-S.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
We can talk to Eric about a club and see what the dealer is willing to do support wise.

See you saturday.

Oh whats your REAL name so I'm not calling out "Wildone!" across the dealer lot.

Mine is Matt and my wife's, who will be accomanying me, is Heidi.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
wildone3c
LOL Sorry It's Collin. Cool Beans!!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:44 PM
slomo
1st Gear
I'm not going to be able to make it. I'm on-call this weekend. I will be down in BR on the 18th. That's the date of the first night autocross of the summer. You can go to http://cenla-scca.org If you are interested. If you've never been to a autocross before. I'll be there to lend a hand and help you have the time of your life. I don't know why I'm posting this because if anyone in a Mini Cooper shows up. They're going to blow the wheel of my little Focus.Luckly the MCS is in another class so I don't have to deal with them. The Mini was made to autocross. Come-on-man let your car live out it's life long dream

Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 PM
John Smith
2nd Gear
Do Classic Mini's qualify for this?

Hey folks,
Picking up my 77 Mini next week...needs work but runs. What do you need from me to become a member?

Old 07-30-2005, 09:38 AM
wildone3c
Hey John, Congrats on the Mini. We are currently in the process of getting GSM off of the ground. In the meantime, you can head over to www.gulfsouthmotoring.org and sign up. Hopefully we are going to try and have at least one event (hopefully more than that) before the end of the year.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:12 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
John,

We'd love to check out your Mini once you get it in. I'm in Lafayette. As Collin said, go to the GSM website and register. We'll get it up and running eventually. You can stay in touch with us by PM'ing us on here or by emailing me at matthewrohrbach@gmail.com

And yes, Mini's are more than welcome.

Matt

Old 08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
wildone3c
New Info. Currently Brian Harris Mini has taken www.gulfsouthmotoring.org down and quit hosting the site. But thanks to Lance, We now have an all new site up at http://www.laplay.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi Please Join us there for the time being. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 AM
brmotoringadvisor
1st Gear
Gulf South Motoring!

Just wanted to make a quick post to let everyone know what's up.

First, I would like to thank Matt(passatdotd) & Collin(wildone3c) for
getting this thing going again. Their energy is contagious.

I was not fired from Brian Harris MINI for conflict of interest.
I quit on good terms, to start my own company:
http://www.laplay.net

The MINI staff at Brian Harris is all new, including the manager,
Hedrick Wood.

It is not that they are against a club, just more cautious
with their spending. The address www.gulfsouthmotoring.org is owned
by them at this time. They have been footing the bill for the site for
over a year, for that we should be appreciative.

The earlier forum was built by the company that built the Brian Harris MINI
website. He will no longer be helping us out. I spent about 4-6 hours one
evening learning about YABB and installing it on my business's server.

The new forum is up and running:

http://www.laplay.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Our next task is having the gulfsouthmotoring.org address routed to
this new forum. I will talk with the dealership to see what can be done.

Until then, we hope to see everyone in the Gulf South Region at the
forum to help organize and get everything rolling again.
(Gulf South Region including: Louisiana, far east Texas, Arkansas,
Mississippi and west Florida; anyone not closer to another club is welcome)

Last edited by brmotoringadvisor; 08-09-2005 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2005, 12:18 PM
brmotoringadvisor
1st Gear
Www.gulfsouthmotoring.com

New Domain for the Gulf South Motoring forum!

www.gulfsouthmotoring.com

We are also working on securing the old domain name:
www.gulfsouthmotoring.org, so that it will also lead to
the forum. That is going to take a little coordination
with the dealership. Not an easy task.

Look forward to seeing you all there,
so we can get the local club going.

Lance