North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   South East (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south-east-20/)
-   -   Need Windshield Replacement Recommendations - Atlanta (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/south-east/227794-need-windshield-replacement-recommendations-atlanta.html)

ATL Clubman 04-04-2012 01:39 PM

Need Windshield Replacement Recommendations - Atlanta

Hello,

Seeking some recommendations.

I need to have my windshield replaced on my 2009 Clubman (basic no rain sensor). It is beyond repair. From searching online forums and talking to people I have gotten or seen recommendations all over the map regarding who to use and what to pay (dealer is only way vs. I used so-and-so and am happy). I still have no clear path. I tried the dealer route but this was a no-go for several reasons- 1) they did not have the right windshield in stock (thankfully) and 2) the $1100+ cost was way out of line for what insurance would cover without leaving me way out of pocket for the difference.

So any recent recommendations (work done within the last year or so) for a company that replaced a MINI windshield and left you satisfied (price, quality)? Oh, in or very near the ATLANTA area. And I mean in the city. Mobile service good or I'll travel to the near 'burbs if necessary.

I am finding this unbelievably hard to get done without feeling like I am gambling.

TIA

TH

miss_chiff 04-04-2012 05:00 PM

Hey,
I had some body work done by Magnum collision and repair. Matched my paint really well. They were used by Atlanta MiNI back when they were in same building as Global BMW.
Don't know if they do windshields, can always call. They are a 'partner' with usaa insurance.
Also, they will take drop offs/pick ups at the Global BMW dealership off of 285.
Perhaps not the best response, but maybe it can lead you in a direction. If they don't do windshields, they may be able to refer someone who does.
Good luck.

glockenspieler 04-05-2012 05:34 AM

I did this with safelite just a few months ago and it worked out fine. They came to my house and they also had a couple of extra clips that sometimes snap when removing the old windshield.

ATL Clubman 04-05-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by glockenspieler (Post 3485903)
I did this with safelite just a few months ago and it worked out fine. They came to my house and they also had a couple of extra clips that sometimes snap when removing the old windshield.

Thanks. A couple of follow up Q's:

Any particular installer (or does Safelight send whomever based on your location)?

Did you request a specific windshield (OEM or something like PPG)? I've seen many other discussions about what glass is used.

TH

glockenspieler 04-05-2012 09:34 AM

I don't believe that they had OEM although I might not have asked after asking Atlanta MINI their cost and it was insane. So, they sent out a guy based on my location, and he was pretty knowledgeable, he installed PPG, and I have to say that at first, I did notice a tiny bit of wave in the periphery but I really needed to look at a straight line and then move my head to see it, and I don't see it now.

On a related note, I also found that for $5 per month, my insurance will cover a replacement windshield. The one that i replaced actually had two cracks, both obtained on separate road trips when i was stuck behind trucks. I figured that the $60 per year was probably worth it.

Fly'n Brick 04-05-2012 12:08 PM

Check with your insurance agent.

ATL Clubman 04-05-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick (Post 3486161)
Check with your insurance agent.

Oh, I did. Believe me. You give their third-party windshield coverage provider your zip code and they give you some names of companies nearby (2 or 3). No recommendations based on reviews, quality, reliability, experience with MINIs, etc. Calling around based on who services what zip code blindly wasn't going to be too productive. They DID know that getting work done at dealer was going to be more than they would cover.

And dealer would not bill insurance directly so I would have to pay them and then work with insurance to get my $ back (less deductible).

So here I am.

Thanks for the replies.

TH

Fly'n Brick 04-05-2012 03:44 PM

Sorry that suggestion wasn't as helpful as I thought it might be. I wonder if the difference is maybe between a small town and the big city. It's hard to pick pecans in a huge forrest of pine trees. Good luck with your quest.:thumbsup: