south florida service

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 10:48 AM
racerx77
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi... this is my first post here... so i guess i wanna say hi first off.

im not complaining or anything... because i supposed my car was fixed in a timely manner and at least wasnt scratched... and nobody was mean or anything...

but i am looking for maybe some other views on the subject and maybe some other owner's experiences

i bought my MINI about a month ago at lauderdale MINI and i have to admit that place was just amazing... and i have lots of fun with my car. but im not totally happy with the super fast paced, somewhat impersonal, production line type service at the service center

i took my car in because the passenger window was rolling up and down on its own... i mentioned a few things about how ive read that certain builds might have a problem with the computer... and that it was a VERY common problem apparently .... or at least seems from the dozens of posts ive found about the exact same problem on this and mini2.com.... yet they say theyve never heard of it... they replaced some sort of sensor.. it sorta fixed it ... or fixed it as far as i could see in the 30 seconds i spent there before being rushed out again... now my door rattles and if i roll up or down either window while driving they go up all the way and dont leave that 1/4 inch to roll up and seal.. they stay up all the way and so when i open and close my door they catch on the rain gutter..

i didnt like how i was sat down on a oversized chair while a valet scurrys my car out back ... i dont like that i didnt talk to a mechanic and the description of my problem is written down by a very flashy guy in a suit... nothing personal i imagine the guy is well trained and knows alot about MINIs... but why couldnt i see a mechanic? where was the service bay even? i was in and out of there so quick my head was spinning. when i went in recently to purchase an oil filter element it almost appeared to me i was the first one to ever purchase a filter element.

now my car has been idling super rough occaisonally.. to the point that at a stoplight it will sometimes shake and rattle so much and then just plain stall out... i can deal with little problems on this car.. but i sorta wished there was a place i could take it where they seem a little more passionate about the cars as opposed to apperance and technology.. ive been reading that there is a new version of the software that the car runs.. when i bring my MINI in for service and i ask to have the software upgraded will i get a blank stare??

i guess i sorta wanted to vent... and maybe people have some suggestions? or past experiences?? am i just living in the past? i admit come from a street rod and muscle car background... in my opinion a real mechanic is an enthusiast and will really check out a problem.. not simply hook the car up to a computer and swap out the part the computer says is broken and be satisfied with that.

also.. when MINI contacted me for the survey about my experience... the questions were so loaded and worded in such a way i couldnt even make a complaint or anything... they were simple yes and no questions...

anyway.. happy motoring

and i look forward to maybe meeting some of the south florida MINI people around town... this type of car is definitley QUITE different than where i come from!

:smile:

l.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:33 PM
C4
Banned
I recommend for you to deal directly with either Jay Gelfand or Robert Velez. Either one of these guys are true gentlemen, very knowledgeable about the MINIs and do everything they can to accomodate the customer.

As far as the technician goes, I always request to have our '02 Cooper CVT personally serviced by Franz Laman. He is fantastic as he knows the ins and outs of these cars better than the palm of his own hand. he is very professional, courteous and will take the time to come out of the service bay area and talk to you about any questions or concerns regarding the car. I have dealt with him many times before and he is a true MINI aficionado even if ironically he doesn't yet own one.

So far, I have had very good luck dealing with the service folks at Lauderdale MINI. We bought our '02 Cooper CVT from Crystal Neagle there last year and have a new '04 MCS on order for myself (The CVT is the wife's daily driver).

You could also try taking your car to South Motors MINI. If you do deal directly with John Crews as he is the most MINI knowledgeable advisor there. But I still prefer Lauderdale's service dept better.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 PM
C4
Banned
By the way, who's your service advisor???? Neither Jay or Robert wear flashy suits to work...actually no one there does..are you sure you were at the right place. If you ask either Jay or Robert to put you in contact with Franz the tech, they will do it for you no problem. I think you have been contacting the wrong people while there for service.

Old 06-04-2003, 06:06 PM
RonR
4th Gear
racerx77

WELCOME to MCO and the big Florida MINI family !!

I am sorry to hear of your troubles with your MINI and the service you recieved.
I am sure that the advise of Cooper4us will help the situation considerably :smile: !!

Hope to see you at one of the many Florida events. We do tend to have fun !!

Best Regards,
Ron

Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 PM
racerx77
Neutral
hi all

thanks for the replies

i wasnt really complaining on my post.. i will admit that i felt rushed and the overall flashiness of the place made me question if they were really qualified passionate mechanics or if it was a production line.. so thats why i posted... now ill know for sure they know what they are doing and im happy... i dont remember the names of who i dealt with... but i did say that they werent ever mean to me.. actually they were very nice... just sorta flashy and quick.. (no suits that was an exageration, but i wouldnt climb under a car in what they were wearing)

thanks for letting me know who to ask for though. and next time ill be sure to speak with the mechanic... ive owned the same truck for 10 years (150,000 miles) and only once had it in for service at a ford dealership... that ended up being a big mess and since then ive worked on it myself.. and its still running strong... so again... like i said. .i guess i was just posting on here to make sure that lauderdale minis service was the place to bring my MINI too... its just my daily driver.. but nothing but the best for my car ! :smile:

thanx for the replies and ya'll keep in touch!... maybe ill see you guys at towershops..im over there often but usually just walking around... thanks again.

l.