Sota MINIs The Sota MINIs (Minnesota) club forum.

Paint Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 AM
MiniJackal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Protection?

Hi, everybody! My MC is currently on order (due to arrive in March... and I'm biting my nails in anticipation)... but I was was wondering if anybody has any experience with the paint protection on offer from Motorwerks. Specifically, do you recommend it? Is it worth it? Does it actually offer, in your experience, some protection, or is it just a dealer profit scam? The roads around here are pretty tough on paint in the winter (lovely amount of salt dumped on the road this weekend), but it seems like it might not be worth the $299. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM!!

I was unaware of any paint protection offered from Motorwerks, so I can't say either way if it's good or not. I know there's a rust through warranty, but that may be different than what you're referring to.

So you're due in March?! Just in time for the dry roads.

Adam

Old 01-03-2005, 08:39 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Maybe they're referring to...

[QUOTE=adame]Welcome to NAM!!

I was unaware of any paint protection offered from Motorwerks, so I can't say either way if it's good or not. I know there's a rust through warranty, but that may be different than what you're referring to.

So you're due in March?! Just in time for the dry roads.

Adam[/QUO

That expensive bit of plastic they put on the hood???

Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
MiniJackal
1st Gear
It's not the plastic shield thing for rock chips... it's some kind of paint sealant, and got explained to me as something different from the rust warranty. It sounded sort of like a permanent wax coat when my MA explained it to me. I don't know, though... maybe it's something new? Maybe it's a scam after all....

And yes indeed; delivery is just in time for dry roads. It'll be good to get The Jackal broken in a little before the need arises to get all wintery and defensive-driving like.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM
indimini
4th Gear
Save your money, and invest in a good car care kit like the ones Zaino offers. :smile: $85 and some personal attention will give your car a better level of protection then what the dealer is offering.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
puck
2nd Gear
I have no problem with the expensive piece of plastic. I've heard a lot of rocks hit my windshield, which implies that they are also hitting my grill, and I haven't seen a ding or chip yet. I know of many people who have.

I guess when I was speccing my car I figure... it's a car... they're expensive... why play with nickles and dimes. But that's me. Also keeping in mind that this is the first car that I think I've ever bought for more than $1000...