Solo Autox classes explained.... Mods, wheels etc..

Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
You're doing fantastic on weight then. I have some audio mods (two amps, JL stealthbox, front and rear speakers-MB Quarts, and cascade audio DB-Max deadening in three layers). I can only remove the sub and it's very heavy. I tried removing the heavy Xtant amp but kept having trouble with it so now I just leave it in for ballast. New amps don't have to be heavy, I have a Boston GT-20 that is very light to power my sub. It's under my passenger seat.
My audio upgrade is extremely moderate if you don't count moving the rear speaker locations. I just have Infinity Kappas replacing the stock speakers. The amp is the factory HIFI and it seems good enough. A sub would be nice, someday.

Your priorities are straight- street comes first and that is fine. It's when you trying to balance too many things that it can get complicated or just plain compromised.
Yea, it didn't work out to well for Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde.

You have many options on rear sway bars. They don't vary that much but the Alta Bar in either 19mm or 22mm will work. For the average MCS owner the 19mm bar is good. All three holes are usable. You don't need the stiffest one for every driver, start with the softest setting and work your way up. It doesn't help with any straightline driving, only hard cornering or slaloms.
People seem to like the H-Sport 19mm. I'll have to figure out whether to go with it or the Alta.

Out of curiosity, what does the front sway bar do? It doesn't seem to be as popular as the rear.

Drop in a new air filter just for autocross- A dirty filter is bad.
Ah, great tip. Thanks.

The Centerlines I have had since 2004. The RPM in older style had fluted spokes seen from the inside but the newest has solid spokes and is 1.5 lbs heaver per wheel. The new design is more durable. I cracked two of the older ones and they were replaced. I have two of each design and I actively use them in pairs on each axle. I say drive hard on them, wear them out and replace them.
Mine are solid. How do you wear them out, without crashing?

On the autocrossing- walk the course a lot. Think about what to do and where to go. Watch the experienced drivers a lot. Be ready to make adjustments and changes as needed. Keep as straight ahead as you can and don't make wide turns unless you have to (in slaloms just head straight). Slow hands on the steering wheel will allow you to conserve movement and keep a better line but it takes practice. Study the fastest areas of the course and plan to enter those areas as fast as possible. Look for the slowest areas on the course and respect them, slow down enough and exit fast, entering a slow curve too fast is a big mistake. Always try to be smoother and always look far far far ahead.
Originally Posted by Bhatch
The biggest advise i always neglected when i was learning was to walk to course at least 4 times. And doing chit chat on your walks unless your with your co pilot. Walk it on break also.
I walked it twice. Once with an experience MINI owner, and once with the official beginners walkthrough. They both had similar advice on the various turns. It would have helped to walk through two more times. My first run was 1' 17.875". By the third run I was down to 1' 05.739". My last run was 1' 06.000 because of an error. I got confused at the end of a chicane and thought I was going left, but I needed to go right. Couldn't see it until I was just about on top of it. I was looking ahead, but it just looked like a dead end.

I like working the course before i run...i can watch the cones and see which ones need to be taken flat out.
I ended up doing that, and it did help. It got a bit scary when a Cobra looked like he was going to lose it in a chicane I was watching (radio man), but he managed to hold on.

Usually, at this meet your class determines when you run and when you work. You only get to choose if you are running out of group for no points, which I was, and may do again.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dave
EDIT:

The following isn't meant to be all inclusive, but rather a basic overview of the SCCA Classing related to the MINI. The 2007 SCCA Solo Rules (PDF link) dictate explicitely what can and can not be done to the cars in each class and which cars can race in which classes.

COOPER = H-Stock (HS)
COOPER S = G-Stock (GS)
06 JCW = B-Stock (BS)

Permitted Modifications
  • R-compound Tires - Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, or similar. Street tires are also acceptable, but won't be very competitive since race tires are permitted in this class.
R compounds in "stock" class?? Don't you need to stay above a 200 wear rating for GS?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by S-Driver
R compounds in "stock" class?? Don't you need to stay above a 200 wear rating for GS?
"Race tires" aren't approved for Stock class, but tires like the Hoosier A6 and Kumho V710 aren't technically "race tires", because they're DOT-approved for street use and technically have "tread" on them, even if the tread is just a single groove running around the tire. Non-DOT-approved tires or racing "slicks" with no tread at all wouldn't be approved for Stock class, though.

And there's no minimum wear rating for GS like there is for STS/STX.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
"Race tires" aren't approved for Stock class, but tires like the Hoosier A6 and Kumho V710 aren't technically "race tires", because they're DOT-approved for street use and technically have "tread" on them, even if the tread is just a single groove running around the tire. Non-DOT-approved tires or racing "slicks" with no tread at all wouldn't be approved for Stock class, though.

And there's no minimum wear rating for GS like there is for STS/STX.
Yes, Strange but true.

That's why if you are in stock class to be competitive you'll need R compound tires not street tires.

If you must have street tires then many of the best extreme summer tires are rated at 140 and higher, what a coincidence? Basically a must have tire for any Street touring class.

Now if you are new to autocross it isn't a bad idea to run on runflats or street tires in the beginning for practice and to learn.

To get a low time you'll need to use every bit of the street tire vs a good R compound where you might be able to clock a quick run while not being quite as precise.

Also street tires will last longer and generally cost less than the best R compound tires. Don't run the R compounds on the street if you can due to the risk of wear and or damage.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by minihune
Don't run the R compounds on the street if you can due to the risk of wear and or damage.
Not to mention the risk of spinning around like the teacup ride at Disney World if you hit some water or oil on the street. R-comps are nice, but all-season tires they ain't!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Motoring
in the case of the MINI, replacing the shift **** does not provide a performance benefit. In the 2nd Gen MR2, a replacement shift **** can be 2 inches shorter than the stock one, effectively becoming a short shift kit.

Since the rules can't be car specific, there are many things like this that are not allowed.
True, but some of the Stock rules still seem a little bit excessive. For instance, you technically get bumped out of Stock class if you "de-badge" your car by removing the "Cooper" script on the back. Is there *any* car out there that receives a performance benefit from de-badging?

Likewise, I think the GS competitors at the National level have to keep the big honkin' cupholder on the right-hand downtube to stay class-legal.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not aware of an allowance to remove the cup holder in SM either...

There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and there will always be examples of why that point is silly.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
Here's a stupid question - would the "Extreme" hood scoop bump you out of DSP?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by Hammer
Here's a stupid question - would the "Extreme" hood scoop bump you out of DSP?
Yes, Strictly speaking you need to keep the stock hood to stay in DSP class.

You can add the scoop but then you would be in Street Modified class which is much more competitive.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 AM
minihune
Although not SOLO I will mention that MINIs are eligible for-

SCCA Rallycross

FWD

Stock using stock wheels and with limits on tire widths
Prepared using modded suspension and wheels/tires
Modified with engine mods and added boost plus no interior

MINIs can do well at Rallycross since results will depend largely on driving skill even against AWD.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Emanuel
Neutral
wow

I was curious to see what threads are already posted before starting a new one, but it appears this one is in desperate need of some update.

How many of you guys do regularly autox?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Oh there's more than a few...

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I try to hit a few a year.. My local Auto X Club has 1 event a month from April to Nov. but moves around location wise. Might be 20 minutes from me or 2 hours...
So I hit the close ones...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM
minihune
Update for 2012-2013 SCCA Season

Stock -> Street Touring -> Street Prepared -> Street Modified

MINI Countryman not allowed in stock class for SCCA

COOPER (All models)= H-Stock (HS)
COOPER S (All models)= D-Stock (DS)
2006-2012 MCS JCW = D-Stock (DS)
2009-2012 Clubman S JCW = D-Stock (DS)

Permitted Modifications
• Any Struts - including adjustable damping
• Any substitution, addition or removal of a single anti-roll bar
• Panel Air Filter in stock air box
• Any Cat-back exhaust
• Harnesses (Quick-fit or similar) and C.G. Locks
• Wheels must be stock size and stock offset within 5mm. This means 15x5.5 and 16x6.5 for the MC and 16x6.5 and 17x7 for the MCS.
• R-compound Tires - Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, or similar. Street tires are also acceptable, but won't be very competitive since race tires are permitted in this class.
• Brake pads may be replaced
• Spare tire and tool kit may be removed
• Roll bars or roll cages may be added
• airbags may not be removed

Air Conditioning
Stock class cars with optional AC are allowed to compete without the AC belt in place. The entire AC system can be removed but ANY related components (springs, radiator, etc) that are part of an AC package must be returned to the standard parts for the standard non AC model.

Basically, that's about the extent of the modifications that can be done. Lowering Springs, camber plates, camber links, cone filters, lighter seats, interior gutting, headwork, cams, engine dampeners, USS, Strut Braces, BBK's, brake stiffeners, slotted rotors, etc..... ARE NOT PERMITTED IN STOCK CLASS.

Street Touring

COOPER (All models) = Street Touring FWD (STF)
COOPER S, COOPER S JCW 04-05' dealer installed) = Street Touring Extreme (STX)

Permitted Modifications
• All of the STOCK class modifications with the exception of tires
• Tires in street touring must have a wear rating above 140
• Tires may but up to 225 wide in STF, 265 wide in STX(2WD), 285 wide in STU(2WD).
• Wheels may be up to 7.5" wide for STF and 9.0" wide for STX(2WD), STU (unlimited)
• Coilovers, any swaybars, camber plates, camber links, are all OK in STS.
• You may have non stock seats, but you must still have the same number of functional seats. This means you can not gut your interior, but you may put in lighter racing buckets if you'd like.
• The air conditioning may be removed.
• Cone filters are acceptable
• Spoilers/splitters may be added
• cross drilled/slotted rotors
• lightweight batteries are ok as long as voltage remains the same
• batteries may be relocated
• Limited Slip Differentials may be added (STX)

Street Prepared

COOPER = F Street Prepared (FSP)
COOPER S and JCW and JCW GP = D Street Prepared (DSP)

Permitted Modifications
• Anything permitted in Stock or Street Touring (ST cars are limited to their respective ST wheel widths and ST bodywork) ok in Steet Prepared.
• Race Tires may be used (ST legal cars no limits on tire widths- just the rim widths)
• Any wheel width, size, or offset may be used (see limits of ST cars above)
• Cross drilled and slotted rotors are ok, BBK's are not.
• Bump stops may be altered or removed
• LSD permitted

Street Modified FWD

COOPER = Street Modified (SMF)
COOPER S = Street Modified (SMF)

Permitted Modifications
• All stock, street touring, and street prepared modifications are permitted.
• IF YOU HAVE AN MCS WITH AN AFTERMARKET REDUCTION PULLEY YOUR MINI IS IN STREET MODIFIED.
• BBK's
• Cams and head work
• Any upgrade that adds boost
• Carbon fiber bonnet, wider fenders
• Aero wing (stationary or locked in one position)
• Front Splitters allowed,may extend up to 6" in front of bodywork as viewed from above
• Canards Allowed
• Radio/Stereo/Airbag delete permitted

Prepared Class F

COOPER S = F Prepared (FP)

Permitted Modifications
• All stock, street touring,street prepared, and street modified modifications are permitted.
• Delete full interior, Track ready car
• Restrictions on weight based on engine size

--------------

Last edited by minihune; 08-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Hi Minihune - thanks for the summary!

One question - did they take back the "takeback" on AC removal?

I rather thought that was NOT legal in STX - only Street Prepared.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Likewise, thanks for the update! Just to clarify, is that for 2012 (almost over) or 2013?

RE: STF & STX
Tires in street touring must have a wear rating above 140

Thought I read/heard somewhere that the wear rating was going to be increased to 180 for 2013. Any knowledge of that?

Just got my October 2012 issue of Grassroots Motorsports. On page 13 there is an article entitled: GET OFF THE SIDELINES AND SQUEAL SOME TIRES that refers to the Tire Rack SCCA Starting Line one-day nationwide autocross program aimed at complete beginners (like me ). Tried to find out more information online, but was unsuccessful. Anyone have the inside scoop and/or a link to signing up for these one day classes as they swing through my area?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
minihune
The current rulebook is for 2012 so 2012-2013 season for SCCA

AC delete is possible from stock class but you must use all parts for non AC model which may include the right springs, radiator, etc that come with the non AC model.

Street Touring classes are still limited to street DOT tires of treadwear rating of 140 or higher. Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires are excluded.

Any MINI jacking rubber pucks can be removed, same as removable rubber wheel hub covers if present.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to verify before ordering: Any option from the factory or installed at the VDC is OK for stock class autocross while nothing installed at the dealer is allowed?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the way I understand it. Section 13 say "Stock Category cars must be run as specified by the factory with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules."

And "Standard" is defined in section 12.4 "Standard Part An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with the car, installed on the factory production line, and delivered through a dealer in the United States. Port-installed options provided by the factory are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory production line."

If its on the window sticker, I'd consider it legal.

12.4 also disallows dealer installed options. "Dealer-installed options or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition."

Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
Mini stock classing is a mess with the JCW allowances now. The way the online configurator is set up with respect to the all important "JCW Sport Suspension" (its after the "this is a dealer installed item" screen), just about anything you throw on the car in the configurator should be legal. JCW suspension, brakes, 18" wheels, strut bar, everything. BUT, the only one of those parts that seems to be showing up nationally is the suspension itself. I'm kinda surprised nobody has pushed it further, so be ready to fight off protests if you add the other JCW components.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I've been wondering why the JCW Sport Suspension is counted as port installed. I was under the impression it was a dealer installed accessory, thus not legal for stock, but the received wisdom is that it counts as port installed? Why? Has anyone ever had it installed at the VDC? Has there been a clarification from the powers that be about it?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Also I was wondering about 17" wheels for a JustaCooper. As far as I remember its always been an option in the configurator to add 17" wheels to a Cooper build. So it would seem to me that they should be legal in stock. But the received wisdom is that only 15" and 16" wheels are legal.

I'm not sure it'd be a performance advantage to run 17"s, but for our next Cooper I'm leaning towards the 17" wheels as part of the sports package. That really should be legal. We also have the 17" wheels we need for our JCW and sometimes it might be convenient to run those (like if its wet and out 16" tires have no tread left).

Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The "dealer installed" accessories became legal when MINI provided a list of parts that could optionally be installed at the Port. They apparently included the JCW engine tuning kit and the JCW suspension on the list. To my knowledge the list has never been published.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Nice discussion...

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...s/threadpage/1

This thread also references the mythical list, but doesn't produce a copy of it. Oh HS, the only stock class where stock parts aren't required...

edit: the 17s should definitely be legal on the 2012+ justas due to the "Mini Yours" option sets. That said, its the opinion of several national champs/trophiests that I've talked to that they are too tall and will murder your gearing vs the 15" and 16" cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solo Autox classes explained.... Mods, wheels etc..