Solo Single mass flywheel conversion.... straight to prepared?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 PM
SKurj
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single mass flywheel conversion.... straight to prepared?

The statement as I understand it, is if it doesn't say you can in the rules, then you cannot do it...

The Valeo single mass flywheel conversion clutch kit.. guessing it isn't legal in DS and STX classes?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Strictly to the letter of the rules, no.

In 13.1 there's this fairly new clause:

All repairs must comply with factory-authorized methods and procedures,
or industry standard methods, as follows: If the OEM does not provide an ap- propriate method of repair, industry standard methods and procedures may
be used. Such repairs may not result in a part or combination of parts that
provides a competitive advantage (e.g., significant change to weight, suspension
control, power, etc.) as compared to the standard part(s). Competitors
are strongly cautioned to use this allowance to make common-sense repairs
only.
If you can show that the Valeo clutch kit is not significantly different in weight from the OE kit, does not have higher power holding, and therefore provides no performance benefit you might be okay but IMO you would be on the wrong end of the gray area of that rule, since OE dual mass replacements are technically available.

Unless you're competing for contingency I personally think you're a-ok for local and regional stuff since there's no performance advantage to the kit, just cost savings.

FWIW, on my '04 I replaced the disc & pp only with success. It wasn't burnt out and the rivets weren't digging into the flywheel. I hit it with a scotch brite pad, popped on the new parts (and a new throwout - old one was near failure) and it was good as new.