Solo Finally got a second event in the Mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 PM
eschantra
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got a second event in the Mini

My two local autocross clubs, SASCA of San Antonio and Spokes of Austin, had back to back events this past weekend in a "mini divisional" format. In an effort to save tires on the Mustang for the upcoming Tour, I decided to run the Mini for fun on day two.

The Mini is a 2008 MCS that is bone stock down to the alignment, with only some 17x7 BBS RG-R wheels, 215/45-17 Federal RS-RR tires, and EBC Yellows. It's way underprepped for X class but I decided to run it there anyway, especially since one of our local hotshoes brought out his DS WRX. His car at least has a bar and alignment, but we figured his three year old Z2s were pretty close to my daily driven second tier RS-RRs and decided to make a fun competition out of it. This was the result.

The course had a dig that definitely preferred the more powerful WRX, but the Mini was easy to snake through some of the tighter elements. Here's a video. Don't mind the data, I left the OBD2 sender in the Mustang by mistake and didn't get anything from the car.

Can't believe how close such totally different cars can be on the same course. Also don't pay too much attention to the results, as Hale, Pendergest and Willman ran in the first, wetter heat. Not surprised that my underprepped car and Tak's WRX on three year old tires were DFL lol.

One thing I am considering doing is ordering a set of R-S4s for the Mini just to test them out, since a 215/45-17 is a lot cheaper than a 305/30-19 for the Mustang Would definitely put them on different wheels since that tread pattern looks like death in one of our Texas torrential downpours

Last edited by eschantra; 03-06-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
not a bad run, looked fun out there!