Solo FSP (F Street Prepared) forum? Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 01:17 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
FSP (F Street Prepared) forum? Interested?

We know that the MC is nationally/locally competitive in H-stock class of SCCA Solo II and many MC owners choose to start out there doing very well.

Some will get the desire to start modding and move up to STS class and add lowering springs, rear swaybar, cold air intake, street tires up to 225 width with minimum tread rating of 140 on any rims up to 7.5" width that fit over stock brakes.

STS allows for other mods like-
1. Fenders may not be cut or flared but the inside lip may be rolled to gain additional tire clearance.
2. Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors of stock size.
3. DOT approved alternate (stainless steel) brake lines
4. Brake air ducts that extend forward with no changes in the body/structure
5. Headers that are emissions legal (not sure if the Milltek header with race cat is legal)
6. Any anti-sway bar is permitted. Bushing material, method of attachment and locating points are unrestricted.
7. Camber plates with slotted mounting holes to adjust front negative camber.
8. Rear adjustable lower control arms to adjust for rear negative camber.
9. Tower strut brace.
10. Reprogrammed ECU
11. Engine mounts may be replaced.
and more...

For more details on STS Rules summary see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=20978

The MCS runs in G-stock and with similar mods as above runs in STX.

But for those who have run in STS and want to improve on the tires FSP allows for greater range in competition tire selection including R-compound tires like Kumho ecsta V700 or victoracers or even Hoosiers on rims of any diameter, width or offset under rule 15.4 A. Wheel spacers are permitted.
Wheel bolts may be replaced with studs and nuts. Quaife LSD is permitted.
For more info refer to Rule 15 Street prepared Category of the SCCA National Solo 2004 rule book.

So which of your MC owners out there are gusty enough to go for FSP class and do we want to start up an FSP forum (since we have a DSP forum for MCS drivers).

We know that on a national level FSP is pretty darn competitive so a MC would be hard pressed to keep up but on a local level is there any interest in having a NAM solo 2 forum?

As an alternative and if there were limited interest in FSP does anyone think it would be a bad idea to combine FSP and DSP into one forum since most of the MCS drivers are choosing G-stock, moving up to STX, or jumping into SM with a pulley mod.

Your abundant comments and feedback are welcome.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:38 PM
erik808
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
We know that on a national level FSP is pretty darn competitive so a MC would be hard pressed to keep up but on a local level is there any interest in having a NAM solo 2 forum?
I'd be very interested. Even if the modded MC w/ Rs struggles at the National level, every modded MC w/ Rs needs a home... . Thanks, Mark & Brad

Last edited by erik808; 07-11-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:46 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I'd say that it might be more "informative" to combine the HS and GS forums into "Stock", the STS and STX forums into "ST" and likewise have one "SP" forum for street prepared. And leave the "SM" forum just how it is

But that's just me.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 PM
erik808
6th Gear
bump

Old 07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
erik808
6th Gear
As an alternative and if there were limited interest in FSP does anyone think it would be a bad idea to combine FSP and DSP into one forum
Appears as if interest is limited in a FSP forum. Actually, it's quite obvious. Thus, I'd very interested in the above proposal: to combine DSP and FSP into one forum. Thank you very much.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:00 AM
minihune
In the H-stock and G-stock forums there is quite a bit of separate activity so probably those two can be kept separate although they are both stock classes.

It might be possible to combine STX and STS. Something to consider.

It seems reasonable to combine DSP (only three threads since the beginning) with FSP under a Street Prepared forum so I am suggesting that to Mark for his consideration.

Thanks all for your input.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Tremec
2nd Gear
Hey how about a/sp and stu for us JCW owners?

Old 07-16-2004, 10:17 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
If there is interest, we'll make a class specific forum. I'd like to stay away from combining classes into the same forum.

Is anyone seriously considering an FSP run?

Old 07-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Tremec
2nd Gear
I've been looking for any posts from someone running in STU and havent found any, so I may be the first to post anyway. I have kuhmo mx's coming on tuesday and will run in STU on the 25th against a fast STI that has been beating the times of most of the SM guys! Well its been boring running by myself in ASP so im gonna go play there for a bit. I just installed the phantom grip, I have the madness rear bar, caster/camber front plates, madness CAI, and of coarse the JCW kit. What do you think, any chance? :smile:

Old 07-17-2004, 05:23 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
In the H-stock and G-stock forums there is quite a bit of separate activity so probably those two can be kept separate although they are both stock classes.
I thought it might be good to combine 'em, because the cars are so similar. Basically anything that works for a GS Cooper S will directly translate to an HS Cooper.

Or, maybe I'm just lazy and don't like clicking HS, reading, and then clicking GS, and reading again

Old 07-17-2004, 10:02 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by DiD
If there is interest, we'll make a class specific forum. I'd like to stay away from combining classes into the same forum.

Is anyone seriously considering an FSP run?
I know that Erik808 has run in FSP.

We need to consider what forum would be best for the JCW MCS-
Either ASP or STU.
Why is life so complicated?
Soon the 2005 MCS with LSD and then D-stock.
Oh well.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:57 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
I was supposed to take a run at FSP for 2003 with a factory Cooper. It never happened, but I believe with a FULLY prepped car, you might be able to trophy at Nationals. At that point though, you'd have a lot of money into a car for just a "maybe" looking for a trophy.

Honestly, the same applies to STS, you're battling the same weight issues. So, if there are people doing STS, they've got the same chance as the people doing FSP. The only difference is that STS is a much more popular class, making it more fun.
Personally, I'd rather run FSP to get off those darn street tires... It's MUCH more fun on the R's.

Brian

Old 07-19-2004, 09:38 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by BGarfield
I was supposed to take a run at FSP for 2003 with a factory Cooper. It never happened, but I believe with a FULLY prepped car, you might be able to trophy at Nationals. At that point though, you'd have a lot of money into a car for just a "maybe" looking for a trophy.

Honestly, the same applies to STS, you're battling the same weight issues. So, if there are people doing STS, they've got the same chance as the people doing FSP. The only difference is that STS is a much more popular class, making it more fun.
Personally, I'd rather run FSP to get off those darn street tires... It's MUCH more fun on the R's.

Brian
Brian,
I'd say that Erik808 found that to be very true. He had Falken Azenis Sports in STS and did that for four events then now switched to Kumho Victoracers and likes it much better. Same 205/50-15 size on stock 15x5.5" holey rims.

Lets hope that some of those running in HS will eventually like to try STS and FSP and mod their MINIs and change wheels and tires. The fun factor is quite high.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Creation of Street Prepared Forum

For now, we decided to have a combined FSP/DSP Street Prepared Forum. If it winds up building into enough activity to support individual forums, we'll split them off.

In the meantime, there is at least one set place to post about FSP/DSP. Hopefully this can encourage more people to persue those classes.

Dave

Old 07-20-2004, 09:19 AM
erik808
6th Gear
Many thank yous, Mark, Brad, and Dave:smile:

Old 07-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Tremec
2nd Gear
Well just as a follow-up I ran in STU today in the JCW MINI S against the reigning champion the WRX STI with full coilovers, electronically adjustable Tiens, and squeeked by him with .02 to spare!

Old 07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by Tremec
Well just as a follow-up I ran in STU today in the JCW MINI S against the reigning champion the WRX STI with full coilovers, electronically adjustable Tiens, and squeeked by him with .02 to spare!
Tremec,
Good work. Each event the courses change and sometimes it will be really good for the MINI and othertimes not so good. Lets see how the two of you stack up after about 6 events. You are "ONE with your MINI".

As for posting how you are doing in STU? There isn't a really good forum for you per se. I'd say starting your own thread in Solo 2 forum is good with some title that mentions "STU: JCW kit MCS results". This tread is more on should be have a Street prepared forum or separate FSP and DSP forums.