6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
^ sounds like a blast overall!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys and gals.

I'm brand new to minis (as of this last Tuesday) but an experienced autocrosser. I've been running my 69 911 for PCA events, and ran a Street Touring 89 Civic SI for a few years. I'm just beginning my build of my 07 MCS, with the intention of running it in DS. I imagine this monster STX build might lay the groundwork for a lot of us to move that way in the next year or so. In the meantime, I'm looking for a good setup for my new car. I've pored over the threads, but can't find a good build/setup for 2014. Can anyone point me in the right direction? First event is April 27th, so I'd like to maybe get a head start on some mods right away.

Thanks...sorry to hijack this thread, but y'all seem like my kind of people.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
DS is gonna be tough, it really depends on your goals and how much you're willing to spend etc

Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 PM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Well, there's a bunch of local DS guys in San Diego, so I thought it would be a good "first season" build. I'm ordering the H Sport swaybar tomorrow (No california distributors though...bummer) and will run next Sunday to get the lay of the land.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by emptyo
Well, there's a bunch of local DS guys in San Diego, so I thought it would be a good "first season" build. I'm ordering the H Sport swaybar tomorrow (No california distributors though...bummer) and will run next Sunday to get the lay of the land.
Going to be an uphill battle against the AWD cars. Most of the stuff you'll buy for DS (wheels, shocks) will get tossed if you move to STX. Probably better to just decide which class you're going to run in and stick with it. PM me if you want to talk STX setup specifics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
^ good point

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
Going to be an uphill battle against the AWD cars. Most of the stuff you'll buy for DS (wheels, shocks) will get tossed if you move to STX. Probably better to just decide which class you're going to run in and stick with it. PM me if you want to talk STX setup specifics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand thus begins the slippery slope....

Good point though.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
yea - it may be worth completely staying as is, just investing in tires, and once you're pretty comfortable with the car, maybe have tried a nationals event and see what you're dealing with, then decide?

although, if u're not aiming nationally, regionally the car will be fine in whatever class you choose

Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Like I said...I'll probably run an event or two in DS, until I can invest in the bare minimum not to be DFL in STX.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand thus begins the slippery slope....

Good point though.
Hey what are car forums for if not enabling bad decisions?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Do I want the 40 series or 45 series 17" tires?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, you could start your own thread, there's a whole forum for D Street (not been renamed since the change over from Stock).

Do I want the 40 series or 45 series 17" tires?
If it were me, I'd be snagging some Dunlop ZII before they disappear. For D Street, I'd go for 215/45-17.

I'd go for the shorter tire if I were short of torque, like in our H Street car (in fact I just did buy some 215/40-17's). With a turbo under the bonnet, I can get plenty of wheel spin (I've only ever tried autocross once in our JCW though), so something taller would more match torque to the available grip and give you a higher speed before you hit the limiter. 225/45-17 might be even better, but I'm not sure they'd fit.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Jeremy Salenius
1st Gear
Well I haven't really posted on the forum much, but I have owned a 2008 MCS for the last couple years.

I have been racing in D-street and RTF in the past. I have done quite well. That being said I have a couple of the best Mini drivers at my disposal to gain knowledge from. Both Craig and Reno are in the same region I am. Well technically Reno is in a neighboring region, but its only 30 minutes away. Last year at Nationals I was 3rd place in RTF, however with the class changes this year I don't think I can run down the Audi or the WRX in class...... So the MCS is leaving the stable and making way for something else. Thankfully her last few races have been very good for her. First place in PAX at KC region Event #1 and 1st place at the Wilmington Match Tour. 12th/ 208 overall.

Now the replacement..... A 2008 base Model will hopefully be here in KC in just a couple short weeks. This car will eventually be in STF.

Figured I might as well introduce myself in hopes I will be around a little more often!

-Jeremy

Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM
emptyo
2nd Gear
Sorry to see her go! Would be awesome to see you in STX!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy Salenius
Well I haven't really posted on the forum much, but I have owned a 2008 MCS for the last couple years.

I have been racing in D-street and RTF in the past. I have done quite well. That being said I have a couple of the best Mini drivers at my disposal to gain knowledge from. Both Craig and Reno are in the same region I am. Well technically Reno is in a neighboring region, but its only 30 minutes away. Last year at Nationals I was 3rd place in RTF, however with the class changes this year I don't think I can run down the Audi or the WRX in class...... So the MCS is leaving the stable and making way for something else. Thankfully her last few races have been very good for her. First place in PAX at KC region Event #1 and 1st place at the Wilmington Match Tour. 12th/ 208 overall.

Now the replacement..... A 2008 base Model will hopefully be here in KC in just a couple short weeks. This car will eventually be in STF.

Figured I might as well introduce myself in hopes I will be around a little more often!

-Jeremy
lucky you! im the in STL region, but I plan on making a couple KC events this year

Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Jeremy Salenius
1st Gear
Sorry to see her go! Would be awesome to see you in STX!
I would love to run STX, but I don't think the Mini can keep up with the AWD and higher HP RWD cars on a bigger open course.

I'm routing for Craig, that man can drive a Mini like nobody else. I have learned a huge amount from him, but that's a huge uphill battle.

Blytheville was not really wide open. Tight and fast, lots of slalom and transitions! Can't wait until Spring Nationals to see what it can do there!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy Salenius
I would love to run STX, but I don't think the Mini can keep up with the AWD and higher HP RWD cars on a bigger open course.
I was under the impression there wasn't anything in STX (with the exception of the WRX) making over 200rwhp and most of the torque numbers are pretty low (160-180). A tuned mini should be making more power than all the other cars. The issue is running out of gear as 2nd in our mini only goes to 60mph. That could be fixed with a rev limit bump though to give you a few more mph. If our car wasn't at the dealer with engine issues all the time I'd have done an exhaust/tune by now

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Jeremy Salenius
1st Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
I was under the impression there wasn't anything in STX (with the exception of the WRX) making over 200rwhp and most of the torque numbers are pretty low (160-180). A tuned mini should be making more power than all the other cars. The issue is running out of gear as 2nd in our mini only goes to 60mph. That could be fixed with a rev limit bump though to give you a few more mph. If our car wasn't at the dealer with engine issues all the time I'd have done an exhaust/tune by now
The E36 with the M52 is making roughly 200 ft lbs torque. And agreed the Minis big problem will be running out of second gear. Also going to be course dependent

Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Who's got events coming up this weekend!

Anyone else planning to go to Spring Nats (May 23-26)?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
emptyo
2nd Gear
I've got my first event in the mini on Sunday, in DS. My new wheels and DII's were installed yesterday. Waiting on my swaybar today, and should be ready for action! It will be my one and only event in DS, before heading the STX route.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Jeremy Salenius
1st Gear
No event this weekend. But I will be at Mineral Wells Pro Solo next weekend and I will be at Spring Nats!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
No event for us this weekend. The scheduled event was cancelled due to the Golden State Warriors getting in the play offs. There's a BMW Club event, but we didn't sign up in time because we thought we were doing the other event.

We're not getting to spring Nationals, 1,600 miles is a bit far to go for that.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
El Matador
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
No event for us this weekend. The scheduled event was cancelled due to the Golden State Warriors getting in the play offs. There's a BMW Club event, but we didn't sign up in time because we thought we were doing the other event.

We're not getting to spring Nationals, 1,600 miles is a bit far to go for that.

We're having an event in Reno this weekend, although the drive might be a little wet getting over the pass...

Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
A little snowy according to the news. They've got chain restrictions in place.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:50 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Who's got events coming up this weekend!

Anyone else planning to go to Spring Nats (May 23-26)?
My first AX event (ever!) is coming up tomorrow. I'll see you there Kyoo

I'm working waivers from what the event coordinator told me. Seems easy enough since I'm a total noobie!

Looks like it'll be raining in the afternoon though which is too bad.

Quick Reply: Solo 2014 Solo Results Thread - All MINIs