SMF (Street Modified FWD) Fastest raw and 2nd fastest pax two totally different days #Weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Fastest raw and 2nd fastest pax two totally different days #Weather

Old 06-11-2018, 02:27 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
Old 06-11-2018, 04:36 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Dat 3rd gear though.

Congrats!

Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
Got up to 68 mph. Next weekend we will be at Pocono Raceway for a regional autocross. Possibly hitting 90 mph autocrossing LOL never been there

Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
When I didn’t make that turn the brakes just didn’t work. It happens every so often normally at the end of the event. Not sure if it’s just me hitting the brakes too hard to quickly. I can feel the ABS kick in but doesn’t really slow me down. I still have stock calipers stock rotors and HP plus hawk pads. Thinking I need a big brake kit possibly.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I welcomed a new member a couple days back and included the below. Just love to see our flying pig shaped cars bettering a whole lot of more expensive sleek sport cars.

My 08 Vet Convertible was beautiful, sleek, turned heads and not only exuded power but had it to spare. My Gen1 is short, stubby with some saying it looks like a flying pig, or it is a "cute" little car. That is all OK, as it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You are now a member of an exclusive club of enlightened individuals that recognizes the MINI as a great handling sports car

Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jetsr6
When I didn’t make that turn the brakes just didn’t work. It happens every so often normally at the end of the event. Not sure if it’s just me hitting the brakes too hard to quickly. I can feel the ABS kick in but doesn’t really slow me down. I still have stock calipers stock rotors and HP plus hawk pads. Thinking I need a big brake kit possibly.
Didn't watch the whole video, but did was the brake issue while turning? With the big rear bar, with the inside rear wheel off the ground, it'll lock the no resistance inside rear and activate the ABS. I do it very rarely in my DS car, but think I also subconsciously drive around that issue. My co-driver at nats completely blew a run due to it.

Basically the situation is a higher speed, coming in hot, with a lot of trailbraking that triggers it. The car refuses to slow down as commanded and you blow wide.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
It only did it or has done it breaking in a straight line. I think I am almost doing like a panic break instead of a squeeze break if that makes sense.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
It only did it or has done it breaking in a straight line. I think I am almost doing like a panic break instead of a squeeze break if that makes sense.
Oh yes that does make sense, Google "autocross ice mode" if you want to go down an internet hole. Some cars are worse than others, and some have different triggers. Current GM cars are very sensitive to braking with any yaw in them, for example.

A buddy and I used to have nearly identical 350zs. He complained about ice mode all the time, I never experienced it. He had very aggressive brake pads, I ran stockers. Since then I tend to stick to crappier pads, since I'm very digital with brake inputs.

Personally, I think the best solution is to learn to drive around it. The full beans on the pedal at once may trigger some sort of logic in the ABS controller that a progressive squeeze doesn't, who knows. No amount of fancy brake kits will change that code.

In my previous reply I mention a trail braking issue my car has. I've learned to square off hot braking zones slightly to help keep that inside rear down and avoid the ABS freak out. I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it every time I drive the Mini. The brain is pretty powerful, even my feeble one.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
Ok that is definitely it. I never really looked it up. Shouldn’t be stabbing the brakes anyway. Just trying to get that extra deep brake zone!!!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:12 PM
JN2k108
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burglar
Oh yes that does make sense, Google "autocross ice mode" if you want to go down an internet hole. Some cars are worse than others, and some have different triggers. Current GM cars are very sensitive to braking with any yaw in them, for example.

A buddy and I used to have nearly identical 350zs. He complained about ice mode all the time, I never experienced it. He had very aggressive brake pads, I ran stockers. Since then I tend to stick to crappier pads, since I'm very digital with brake inputs.

Personally, I think the best solution is to learn to drive around it. The full beans on the pedal at once may trigger some sort of logic in the ABS controller that a progressive squeeze doesn't, who knows. No amount of fancy brake kits will change that code.

In my previous reply I mention a trail braking issue my car has. I've learned to square off hot braking zones slightly to help keep that inside rear down and avoid the ABS freak out. I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it every time I drive the Mini. The brain is pretty powerful, even my feeble one.
Ok that is definitely it. I never really looked it up. Shouldn’t be stabbing the brakes anyway. Just trying to get that extra deep brake zone!!!

hence why i ran the hawk hps which doesn't give that much initial bite but helps with progressive braking.

The following users liked this post:
jetsr6 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 AM
jetsr6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JN2k108
hence why i ran the hawk hps which doesn't give that much initial bite but helps with progressive braking.
thanks for the tip I’ll have to give those a try next maybe. I’m going to 275 Hoosiers in the front next. So the hawk HPS really only affects the initial bites?