North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   SMF (Street Modified FWD) off-season plans/ideas (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/219410-off-season-plans-ideas.html)

dawgscj7 10-25-2011 07:37 AM

off-season plans/ideas

So after one full local season in SMF with current setup, I finished 2nd overall missing a season championship by 12 points. But after a terrible last event, Im planning changes and improvements for next season.

Current setup:
tein s-techs
jcw struts
h-sport comp rear sway bar
front and rear strut tower bars
215/45r17 direzza star specs
RPF1's 17x7
alta 15%
dt bpv
rear interior removal
1 ball exhaust
intake
hawk HPC

plans:
225/45r17 z214 c71(cost effective)
I.E. race camber plates
w.m.w. 17%
stud conversion(anyone know any for M14?)

ideas(if extra funding is available):
koni yellows
or
megan racing track coil overs(would eliminate the need for above camber plates)

I know a couple of you guys compete regionally and nationally and this where I intend to take this car. Only one or two events for 2012, but hopefully 2013 competing in all regional events.

So I was looking for some feedback on what are necessities for next season, what I should or shouldn't do to make the car more competitive.

main issues:
lack of grip and very large mixes of over and understeer at anytime, I fight to make the car track straight.
more low end acceleration when winding out of longer/slower corners.

Any help would be appreciated and hopefully Ill see some of you guys regionally in 2012!

KC Jr 54 11-20-2011 12:35 AM

1) Stay away from IE plates. Garbage.

2) Best studs in the m14 variant can be found at the un-mentionable vendors site. They are made by ARP and the only ones i would trust. I have the equivalent in m12 made by turnermotorsports.

3) Drop down to a 15" wheel, and get the 225/45-15. Your car will like the extra gearing, A LOT.

4) Call Alta and just get the different size pulley. I assume you have the v2 which is a two piece design and you can swap the exterior pullies, leaving the hub in place. Much easier and cheaper.

5) Get rid of the Tein springs. And if you are serious about auto-x save up for some legitimate coilovers. AST is my recommendation, but they are costly once you figuring in springs and plates. IMO choose the Yellows over the Meagans.

6) Good luck to ya in 2012 !

dawgscj7 01-30-2012 10:21 PM

so here is where we stand,
new mods:
Bc racing coilovers(r56 springs)
megan header with factory cat welded in
alta exhaust
wmw 17% pulley
cabrio bars
short shifter
15x8 konig wideopens(11.8lbs) et25
225/45r15 hankook z214 c71
and random weight loss

So far im very pleased with how the car handles especially with the heavier rated springs on the coilovers. the only issue im currently having is a little midrange hesitation cominig out of WOT and immediately returning to WOT. needs a better alignment still but very pleased with results.

other mods(still on car):
hawk HPc
rear seat delete
front and rear strut tower bars
26mm hsport rear sway bar on middle setting
CAI
tensioner saver
bushing inserts for engine mounts

old mods(not on car)
alta 15% pulley
one ball exhaust
jcw struts with tein springs