North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   SMF (Street Modified FWD) Brake Issue-Ice Mode? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/154819-brake-issue-ice-mode.html)

tnd2 09-24-2008 12:00 PM

Brake Issue-Ice Mode?

Hey guys I need some help with a braking issue.
It feels like im loosing my power brakes when i'm breaking into a hard turn like a 180 degree finish(yea some of the guys here like killer shut downs after the lights). But ive also had it happen after coming out of a sweeper then braking before a low speed turn. It seems to be more prevlent when left foot braking than not, and it doesn't happen all the time. One case was the 180 shut down, 8 runs - 2 did it 6 didn't.
Powerslot rotors, HPS pads, blue or type 200 fluid, 03 Cooper chassis w/04 S powertrain, 225/15 A6's.
Somebody had mentioned that they thought it could be im braking too late and locking up the inside rear causing the ABS to think it's on ice. Any thought's guys?

minihune 09-24-2008 10:19 PM

Try getting someone to video tape you doing the turns from both right and left side angles. When you watch the tape you might see what is happening.

If you think you might be braking too late for a sharp turn then prepare ahead and brake sooner and more gradually.

Most drivers brake too hard and too late. If you overload the tires you will loose traction.

Tires can be turning, braking-slowing, accelerating but only function up to 100%. When you brake hard you use up a greater percentage for braking and loose the ability to turn or accelerate.

OasisT 09-25-2008 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by tnd2 (Post 2481677)
Hey guys I need some help with a braking issue.
It feels like im loosing my power brakes when i'm breaking into a hard turn like a 180 degree finish(yea some of the guys here like killer shut downs after the lights). But ive also had it happen after coming out of a sweeper then braking before a low speed turn. It seems to be more prevlent when left foot braking than not, and it doesn't happen all the time. One case was the 180 shut down, 8 runs - 2 did it 6 didn't.
Powerslot rotors, HPS pads, blue or type 200 fluid, 03 Cooper chassis w/04 S powertrain, 225/15 A6's.
Somebody had mentioned that they thought it could be im braking too late and locking up the inside rear causing the ABS to think it's on ice. Any thought's guys?

The main issue would be if you are braking while turning. Try to brake in a straight line, that will help. Also, If you have adjustable shocks, run a bit less rebound in the rear and pump up rear pressure to compensate needed rotation. We had our shocks valved with a very stiff rebound and found that ice mode was an issue with too stiff rebound. If you are on stock shocks, I would guess that you are not braking in a straight line. One of our locals was also doing this, I took it for a spin and we realized he was braking while turning slightly, he quickly adjusted and cured the ABS issue.

tnd2 09-25-2008 10:55 AM

Thanks guys for the input

We're on AST coilovers, single adjustable's, so ill try backing off on the rear/upping the pressure this weekend.

...and getting off the brakes sooner.

tnd2 06-12-2011 05:47 PM

Hey guys, update on my original thread. Ran a local autocross today, and as in the past, occasionally the ICE issue pops up. So I decided to pull the ABS fuse and give it a shot. The result was uncontrollable braking, it felt like all rear brakes and no front. Could it be possible I have an issue with the front system?
Just power bleed the brakes, running Hawk HP+ pads, Powerslot rotors, and the free floating caliper kit.

jasonsmf 06-13-2011 04:01 AM

I don't think anything is wrong; I had exactly the same results when I pulled the ABS fuse on my car, it felt like I had 100% rear brake bias, not cool!

Jason

Originally Posted by tnd2 (Post 3303814)
Hey guys, update on my original thread. Ran a local autocross today, and as in the past, occasionally the ICE issue pops up. So I decided to pull the ABS fuse and give it a shot. The result was uncontrollable braking, it felt like all rear brakes and no front. Could it be possible I have an issue with the front system?
Just power bleed the brakes, running Hawk HP+ pads, Powerslot rotors, and the free floating caliper kit.