North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Site Feedback (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/site-feedback-13/)
-   -   Possible NAM Changes (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/site-feedback/322812-possible-nam-changes.html)

Whine not Walnuts 01-03-2018 03:46 PM

Possible NAM Changes

1 Attachment(s)
There is talking going on about updating the layout here. Below is possible layout in which you will note that; 1.) A section where amateur car journalists can post their articles and/or video creations on anything MINI. This would also be the place to post links to professional articles and other MINI media outlets, 2.) A separate venue for both selling your MINI and one general area to discuss buying a new MINI. This will include links to sites that may be of assistance in purchasing a new MINI, 3.) Selling your MINI parts will now be in a separate area from the car sales, 4.) All discussions on brakes, tires and wheels will be in one place for all the generations, 5.) The Racing section would be moved up in order. If it deals with modifying a MINI to race as well as tracking or autocrossing, this is the place to visit. The section would expand to include non-MINI racing that have links to all the major sanctioning bodies and auto racing media along with the ability to post your own comments. A separate Build section would be created to showcase the talents of the NAM members with the hope that yearly competitions could be held and voted on, 6.) A section where there would be links to the more than 130 IB forums dealing with getting you from point A to point B in a car, on a motorcycle or with a PWC, 7.) A section dealing with basic maintenance of your MINI. When should you change your oil, your brake fluid, the belts etc, 8.) Relocating the Countryman to the respective Generation section based upon the motor.

Without you the members this place is nothing, your comments and suggestions are NAM. Is this a good idea, Yes or NO? Is there something else you consider important?

Minnie.the.Moocher 01-03-2018 04:56 PM

The one nice addition if possible would be some way to force users to list the MINIs they own, as many of us do now as a footer. Pretty annoying when someone asks for help but doesn't tell us what they own.

Also a big fat warning in red about things to watch out for when buying from the marketplace, such as not using free Paypal sending money unless you are prepared to lose your money. Not buying from someone with 1 post who just signed up unless you can do some verifications.

2017All4 01-03-2018 05:01 PM

:thumbsup:All good ideas, IMHO.:thumbsup:

Whine not Walnuts 01-03-2018 05:13 PM

There has been talk about putting a caveat emptor type sticky at the top of the sales area that would include some verbiage on Paypal.

Yes, having a signature that lists the car you own would be very nice. Need to see if the program that NAM uses is able to do something to that aspect. Although there has been talk about hiring a mind reader and if we do something to note the car the poor person will be without a job . . . . .

Whine not Walnuts 01-03-2018 05:27 PM

Just got a PM from a guy, said the Navigaton spelling in the Gen3 area is driving him crazy. Can somebody add an "i" to that??

Brian_the_Red 01-03-2018 05:29 PM

I'm all for anything that will replace the current marketplace because navigating it for me has been problematic at best. Then again maybe it is just me because I'm still sort of new around here.

Something I find helpful over on the Miata.net Forums is in some of the sections that cover all generations (for sale, audio, collectibles, car care) they have post title prefixes where you can select a generation if what you are asking or discussing pertains to a certain generation or model.

Whine not Walnuts 01-03-2018 05:34 PM

Yes, adding prefixes is being discussed.

Also trying to see if the search function can be improved.

DunkM 01-03-2018 05:46 PM

I approve of the choice to move the F60 to the 3rd gen forum, they are just too similar.

vetsvette 01-03-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by r53coop (Post 4357287)
Just got a PM from a guy, said the Navigaton spelling in the Gen3 area is driving him crazy. Can somebody add an "i" to that??

Don't have a clue how to do that. To tell the truth, I had never noticed it.

Edit: It would also be nice if everyone could at least include their state. That would also help with answering some of the questions.

jc130chief 01-04-2018 03:47 AM

Go for it.

Go for it.

gearhead60 01-04-2018 08:38 AM

All good ideas. I would also like to see the IOS app updated as it no longer works on the latest I-phone OS.

dube53 01-04-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by r53coop (Post 4357238)
There is talking going on about updating the layout here. Below is possible layout in which you will note that; 1.) A section where amateur car journalists can post their articles and/or video creations on anything MINI. This would also be the place to post links to professional articles and other MINI media outlets, 2.) A separate venue for both selling your MINI and one general area to discuss buying a new MINI. This will include links to sites that may be of assistance in purchasing a new MINI, 3.) Selling your MINI parts will now be in a separate area from the car sales, 4.) All discussions on brakes, tires and wheels will be in one place for all the generations, 5.) The Racing section would be moved up in order. If it deals with modifying a MINI to race as well as tracking or autocrossing, this is the place to visit. The section would expand to include non-MINI racing that have links to all the major sanctioning bodies and auto racing media along with the ability to post your own comments. A separate Build section would be created to showcase the talents of the NAM members with the hope that yearly competitions could be held and voted on, 6.) A section where there would be links to the more than 130 IB forums dealing with getting you from point A to point B in a car, on a motorcycle or with a PWC, 7.) A section dealing with basic maintenance of your MINI. When should you change your oil, your brake fluid, the belts etc, 8.) Relocating the Countryman to the respective Generation section based upon the motor.

Without you the members this place is nothing, your comments and suggestions are NAM. Is this a good idea, Yes or NO? Is there something else you consider important?

OEM and Factory Maintenance info for at least Gen1 and 2 would be a great investment and add on to your website.

BMW is slow on information release, but they have to abide by law after 3 - 4 years. Real OEM is just a parts book....... its better than nothing.

OEM tech bulletins database ????. Yes, everything is available.

You should even think about a basic subscription to have access to all this material but it would bring more members to support this website.

oldbrokenwind 01-04-2018 07:40 PM

Instead of a separate Build section, I'd rather see it incorporated into the Modifications section of each Gen. My build doesn't want to compete with gen 1 or gen 3 builds. Also, when someone starts out with a mod or two, then later decides to go all out and enter in the build category, how would the thread(s) be handled by the moderators?

In general, I like the idea of a build competition. What categories are being considered --- appearance, track performance, dyno results, ¼ mile performance, standing start mile (and/or ½ mile) speed, etc?

Whine not Walnuts 01-05-2018 05:02 AM

The build competition would be by Gen or by Model and then those individual winners could compete for overall champion.

What many do not realize here is that basically they own a part of this place. It is not what IB or the Moderators want here, it is what you the Members want. Now we will never please everyone but like to think the overall consensus of the members is where NAM will go.

I made a post in another of my impromptu "bulletins" here that the number crunchers say only 1% of those visiting a forum ever get involved by posting. Make some suggestions, should be able to place them into a poll type thread where we get to vote on them.

And, remember that if you want to help out with any of these new ideas let us know. The pay is great, never have to worry about who is getting more than you because nobody is getting anything.

USA-RET 01-06-2018 09:05 AM

I rather like the set we have now. But if I were recommend improvement, I'd keep the 3 generations separate as it is now.

Under each generation, I'd have a sub section each model as it is (add countryman and maybe an "E" section for the new electrics.

Under each of those, a "General discussion" as a catch all. Have one for - Parts for sale or trade, a How to/ DiY section

Rationale being, as a F56 owner I immediately go to 3rd Gen and the F55/56 sub section. Once there I'll hit the "General Discussion Section" just to see what's being posted and discussed - likely 99% of my visits stop there. I can run the posts and see (based on the title) anything of interest that I can comment on or help with. It's super easy and gives the topic starter maximum exposure.

If I am looking for parts for sale, I know everything in that sub-section will likely be for my car. Also and How To's- or DiY are specific to my car.

As a former moderator, the down side to lots of sub sections, many do not look further than the general discussion section and post everything there. This means the moderators are having to move posts (and hopefully leaving a "ghost" in place at the original location) and sending the member a PM about using the correct sub-section.

I found that less is better when it comes to forums. Yes, the General Discussion section will have the bulk of the post there, but that is a good thing as one has to go no further than there to see everything related to their cars. Problems, issues, modifications, news, and general BS. Makes moderating much easier also.

Having an "Articles" section is fine as a main topic for the NAM forum as well as anything else deemed appropriate.

Whine not Walnuts 01-06-2018 09:41 AM

I like the minimal approach per generation but one question as we have asked IB to look into improving the "search" function, better searches or the minimal approach? This of course if we cannot have both.

Minnie.the.Moocher 01-06-2018 09:50 AM

Advanced searching would be nice. Currently if I need to really find something I use the site:northamericanmotoring.com "what you want to find term here".

Some sites I've used in the past have both the original and a Google search box.

USA-RET 01-07-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by r53coop (Post 4357925)
I like the minimal approach per generation but one question as we have asked IB to look into improving the "search" function, better searches or the minimal approach? This of course if we cannot have both.

Seems like most of the forums (including the one I moderated for) have pretty poor search functions. I have tried searching for items on other forums using a term or terms that should produce a result, but do not. If I happen to know the thread starters name, I can usually find it the topic by running that users thread/post listing. Not very handy as I have acute CRS (Can't remember $#!t)

Generally the only way I can find a post or thread I'm looking for is by mentioning that I've tried to search multiple times w/o any success and another friendly forum member is kind enough to provide a link to the topic I want.

Unfortunately, I think we are stuck w/ the search function as designed for internal forum use. Strangely, I've had better luck using "Google" outside of the forum that provides a link to the thread I'm wanting in the forum. :lol:

Even w/ a decent search function, many new members (or even old timers) will post a question rather than search the forum. This again burdens the Moderators w/ a PM to the offender and sometimes infuriates some members creating causing some not so pleasant comments.

Too many sub forums also encourages cross-posting, when a thread starter doesn't get a quick answer to (or shows "no views") to the question. Again, just more work for the moderators.

Just my perspective......:wink: