North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Site Feedback (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/site-feedback-13/)
-   -   iTrader Questions & Answers (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/site-feedback/145166-itrader-questions-and-answers.html)

Mark 06-24-2008 10:03 AM

iTrader Questions & Answers

Have a question about the new iTrader feature on NAM? Be sure to check out our new Help system for answers. If you still have questions post them here and we'll do our best to answer them.

Thanks!

Mark

El_Griton 06-24-2008 10:33 AM

I just wanted to point out that you can only do 5 ratings in a 24 hour period. I dont think that is said anywhere. :thumbsup:

so far I am the MOST trusted person on Nam, according to itrader :lol:

wbarnhill 06-24-2008 10:45 AM

The only big issues with any feedback system like this are:

1) Retaliatory feedback - A seller leaving negative feedback because the buyer left negative feedback. (Example: Seller sells item which is broken or otherwise unusable. Buyer requests and is denied a return, and now has paid for a broken item. Buyer leaves negative feedback, and seller leaves negative feedback in retaliation.) The other extreme is a buyer demanding something such as free shipping or even the item itself for free or else they will tarnish the reputation of the seller by leaving negative feedback.

It looks like NAM will handle this via admins being notified of negative feedback. What will the process entail for individuals to remedy a retaliatory feedback situation? What burden of proof is on each individual in the transaction?

2) False feedback - A member creates multiple accounts and sells items to himself, generating URLs for feedback. Or multiple members sell small items between themselves (or say they do) in order to build feedback.

The site says that feedback will be limited to 5 per day, but will there be detailed information that could help determine if this method is in use? Would this warrant a notification to an admin, and if so, how?

3) Multiple feedback - A member buys several items from one individual and treats each item as a separate transaction. Or a member buys items separately, but the same thread, and again treats them each as a separate transaction.

Is this acceptable, or are there specific rules for each instance?

Finally, is the iTrader system meant to apply to all users on NAM, including vendors? Is it safe to assume that punishments for running afoul of the system would range from feedback deletion to a ban from NAM?

Sorry for all the questions, but these were just the ones that popped in my head after reading through the Help. Thanks! :thumbsup:

gnatster 06-24-2008 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by wbarnhill (Post 2322687)
The only big issues with any feedback system like this are:

1) Retaliatory feedback - A seller leaving negative feedback because the buyer left negative feedback. (Example: Seller sells item which is broken or otherwise unusable. Buyer requests and is denied a return, and now has paid for a broken item. Buyer leaves negative feedback, and seller leaves negative feedback in retaliation.) The other extreme is a buyer demanding something such as free shipping or even the item itself for free or else they will tarnish the reputation of the seller by leaving negative feedback.

It looks like NAM will handle this via admins being notified of negative feedback. What will the process entail for individuals to remedy a retaliatory feedback situation? What burden of proof is on each individual in the transaction?

Ideally the seller will leave feedback upon payment, that's a best practice and it's noted in the help. Can this be forced, no. If this practice is followed then the buyer will have feedback before the item in hand assuming it was shipping and not a local pickup. These scenarios are quite possible but we do have a mechanism in place to try and prevent this. One only needs to report the issue via the link in the help or the Contact Us link. The help link is to the Contact Us page. It will be reviewed but at this time there are no hard and fast rules. Call it a case by case basis and see how it goes. If it does prove to be a problem the feature can be shut off.

2) False feedback - A member creates multiple accounts and sells items to himself, generating URLs for feedback. Or multiple members sell small items between themselves (or say they do) in order to build feedback.

The site says that feedback will be limited to 5 per day, but will there be detailed information that could help determine if this method is in use? Would this warrant a notification to an admin, and if so, how?
This is not eBay, one should not live or die by the ratings. It is fully expected for the vast majority to have a 100% rating. This tool is more to weed out the few that might be scammer types.

3) Multiple feedback - A member buys several items from one individual and treats each item as a separate transaction. Or a member buys items separately, but the same thread, and again treats them each as a separate transaction.

Is this acceptable, or are there specific rules for each instance?
Multiple items from one thread should be treated as a single transaction. Consider the rating to be transaction based and not item based.

Finally, is the iTrader system meant to apply to all users on NAM, including vendors? Is it safe to assume that punishments for running afoul of the system would range from feedback deletion to a ban from NAM?
Yes this is safe to assume. It is noted in the Help documents that abuse of the system will not be tolerated and members will be subject to bans.

Sorry for all the questions, but these were just the ones that popped in my head after reading through the Help. Thanks! :thumbsup:
That's OK and even encouraged. It is from this type of discourse that the system can be fine tuned and relevant items added to the Help. I'll be updating the Help with some of this information soon.

gnatster 06-24-2008 02:17 PM

It should be noted that the iTrader system is not designed to to rate vendors for transactions that occur outside of the NAM Marketplace. Only if a vendor has an item or items in the Vendor Classified area of the Marketplace should a rating be left. Otherwise please use the Vendor and Product Review area.

gnatster 06-24-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by El_Griton (Post 2322654)
I just wanted to point out that you can only do 5 ratings in a 24 hour period. I dont think that is said anywhere. :thumbsup:

so far I am the MOST trusted person on Nam, according to itrader :lol:

It is noted in multiple locations in the NAM Help system.

ngweibing 06-24-2008 02:31 PM

i would like to input my thoughts after using it...

overall i like it but i dun like the part where u have ot find the link of the item in the marketplace thread and put it in...:sly: it took me sometime ot find the items i bought... is there a easier way?

gnatster 06-24-2008 02:34 PM

Help has been updated.

gnatster 06-24-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ngweibing (Post 2322896)
i would like to input my thoughts after using it...

overall i like it but i dun like the part where u have ot find the link of the item in the marketplace thread and put it in...:sly: it took me sometime ot find the items i bought... is there a easier way?

At this point no.

If you have posted in the thread you can try this.

In the upper right of the screen under the Masthead click on Search

Click on Advanced Search to open the Advanced Search window.

Enter your own User Name in the User Name Field

In the Search in Forums box scroll down the list and either select Marketplace to find all posts or select a subforum that may contain the post

Click on the Search Now button

From the list returned select the proper thread.

Will be adding this to the iTrader Best Practices page in NAM Help

revray 06-24-2008 03:39 PM

Invalid Link Question

I've done three transactions with NAM people in the last 2-3 months. I just posted positive iTrader feedback for two of them, but when I went to post it for the third one, I received a note saying that the thread link was invalid. However, if you check the link out, it is quite obvious that there were a number of deals that have been done from this particular thread (see link below). Is there any way the thread can be corrected and made valid?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=137077

_

gnatster 06-24-2008 03:48 PM

The link is invalid because it is not in the Marketplace.

revray 06-24-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by gnatster (Post 2323082)
The link is invalid because it is not in the Marketplace.

Can you move to the marketplace? It's obviously a thread that a lot of people used to do transactions. Should I be faulted and not get positive feedback because I bought something off a NAM thread that wasn't posted in the right place to begin with?

gnatster 06-24-2008 04:30 PM

PM sent

PGT 06-24-2008 04:52 PM

how about local forum for sale threads??

also....please up the limit for iTrader submissions for at least the first week or two. I only searched on threads I started in wheels/tires and I didn't get all the way through (I have a TON more to do for others):

vBulletin Message Sorry, but you can not rate any more people today.

eager2own 06-25-2008 07:30 AM

I probably missed this but:

I understand ratings going forward should be left as soon as possible, but as to past transactions -- how far back can we go? As far back as we can locate the url?

Edit -- a second question: does a transaction require exchange of cash?
For example, marketplace "seller" offers exhaust free to anyone who'll pick it up . . . is that a transaction? Or what if "buyer" only has to pay for shipping?

HighLife4136 06-25-2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by eager2own (Post 2324608)

I understand ratings going forward should be left as soon as possible, but as to past transactions -- how far back can we go? As far back as we can locate the url?

For example, marketplace "seller" offers exhaust free to anyone who'll pick it up . . . is that a transaction? Or what if "buyer" only has to pay for shipping?

I say either is a transaction. Say you go to pick up the free exhaust 100 miles away and the giver isn't there. Now you have to go back and 'hope' that he/she is there. Same for the shipping thing. If it takes six weeks to ship, it's probably a poor transaction.

gnatster 06-25-2008 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by eager2own (Post 2324608)

Jan 1 08 seems to be a good cutoff, hard to remember details past 6mo or so.

May as well call those transactions as well. But more latitude should be given when stuff is free.

hohod 07-23-2008 05:34 PM

how about moving the iTrader link?

IMO, the iTrader link is too prominent...and looks dorky. Most users are going to display 0 / 0% forever. Maybe move it to the other side, under the gallery link? The name is dorky too - iTrader? is that like iDrive?

PGT 07-23-2008 05:59 PM

other sites only display it in the Marketplace forums for just that reason. as for the name, that's not NAM's decision...vBulletin's name for it.

gnatster 07-23-2008 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PGT (Post 2323264)
how about local forum for sale threads??

also....please up the limit for iTrader submissions for at least the first week or two. I only searched on threads I started in wheels/tires and I didn't get all the way through (I have a TON more to do for others):

vBulletin Message Sorry, but you can not rate any more people today.

Sorry i didn't see this sooner.

The limit was raised

iTrader looks for a valid URL on the site, so local forums should work fine.

AZblackOUT 04-14-2009 10:57 AM

I am having trouble with iTrader, keeps telling me that I have an error in my details. I double and triple check and everything seems alright. Anyone else having the same problem?

cycleorange 10-18-2011 10:21 PM

After checking the rules I have determined that my ad (17" Enkei nt03m wheels) Does not violate any rules yet the posting has been removed, why?

avuton 12-31-2012 01:03 PM

OP has dead link.