Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

New R58 Family Member

Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Tigger2011
Prototype-R
Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
Still playing catch up after vacation but wanted to follow up on the poly control arm bushings. Absolutely love the change and how it tightened the front end up. As you can see from the pictures I went with the sport version (purple center.black outer). The old bushings didn't look that bad but man can you tell an instant difference in steering response and overall handling. These and an RSB should be mandatory items on everyone's mod list.

The following users liked this post:
AWD_Rally (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 PM
AWD_Rally
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is that bushing the front arm rear bushing? I definitely did the RSB when installed the coilovers. 25mm hollow, pretty dang stiff.

I have the front arm/rear bushing, and the rear trailing arms bushings. Black "race" type. I sent back the rear engine bushing back on the advice of my shop, but I'm thinking i might get it again and install.

What bushings, overall, would you recommend?

Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Tigger2011
Prototype-R
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Is that bushing the front arm rear bushing? I definitely did the RSB when installed the coilovers. 25mm hollow, pretty dang stiff.

I have the front arm/rear bushing, and the rear trailing arms bushings. Black "race" type. I sent back the rear engine bushing back on the advice of my shop, but I'm thinking i might get it again and install.

What bushings, overall, would you recommend?
Yep those are the front control arm rear bushings. I'm running the 25mm hollow on the rear as well. Car seems pretty happy on the mid setting. I'm planning to upgrade the rest of the bushings (purple except on the rear pillow) but plan to wait until I add adjustable upper trailing arms on the rear so I can adjust the track. On the engine mount I went with the yellow lower engine mount inserts and the change in NVH isn't noticeable on the manual. Actually bonded mine in with a polysulfide adhesive. The yellow will make a difference in NVH on an auto but only when in gear at a light with your foot on the brake. Upgrading the engine mount definitely helps reduce wheel hop. In addition, since the engine doesn't shift as much, changes in power are more rapidly applied to the wheels. Can't really see a reason not to go with the yellow or even purple on a manual. The black delron like on the BSH engine mount however will get buzzy and probably drive most people insane after a while.

The following users liked this post:
AWD_Rally (03-31-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 AM
2012_R60
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tigger your thread is inspirational! Love to see all the great things you're doing. Do you know where I can find those connectors that came with your OCC? I've been looking around the net but couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted by Tigger2011 View Post
Not a lot of updates at the moment. Mainly been stockpiling parts in spite of the odds. In early December is one of my sons birthday, followed by my father-in-laws, followed by Christmas, followed by my wife's birthday and finally my daughters birthday. So if anybody needs a kidney let me know. Mid December through March is also our busiest time at work. First up will be a new PCV design using an APR oil catch can which has 19mm connections. I'm just not happy with the flow through the RX can. This will be pulled through an external air pump power by a step down circuit I picked up. This will provide the pump 9V for normal operation. Under boost a configurable secondary output from the boost controller will close a relay to provide the full 13.8V to the pump. Ordered the OCC from USP Motorsports in December and it's still not here. Must be arriving via pack mule.

Next up is an oil cooler with a secondary electric pump. Picked up a configurable timing circuit that will run the pump for 10 seconds before startup to pre-oil the engine and run again for 60 seconds after shutdown. The idea being to continue to provide oil to cool the turbo bearing to help prevent coking. Going with MOCAL for the adapter but still looking at coolers and comparing pressure drop.

Last but not least I got around to ordering the Darton MID sleeves for the builder engine. If anyone is looking check out Real Street Performance. They have the 800-800 sleeves for four to five hundred less than anyone else.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Tigger2011
Prototype-R
Originally Posted by 2012_R60 View Post
Do you know where I can find those connectors that came with your OCC? I've been looking around the net but couldn't find anything.
The connectors are made by a company called NORMA. Unfortunately, the numbers on the side of the connectors are not very helpful as they are the same PA12-GF30 on the locking ring and PA12-GF20 on the body. Here is a picture of the Mini style connector next to the connectors that come with the APR can. The APR connectors are designed for VW's. While the locking rings and the diameters are the same you'll note the VW style connector is longer and so will not lock onto the manifold on the Mini.

Since the factory vacuum line from the passenger side to the manifold is plastic shrink tube it is easy to heat the tube with a heat gun and wiggle and pull the connectors off. The connectors fit very snug in 3/4" fuel line. Make sure not to use heater hose as oil mist will cause the hose to degrade. Here'a a couple pictures of the APR as currently installed.

Unfortunately, the largest check valves I could find require the 3/4" lines be reduced to 5/8". Once I finish dinking around with the electrical and can mount the vacuum pump I can run 3/4" all the way through.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 PM
2012_R60
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks!!