1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
More progress.....

Altair Leader already made it to NY port and left there and is now heading towards Jacksonville, FL......so, will be in USA-RET's neighborhood soon

ETA 6/14....

Excellent news, tell her to put on some sun screen, it is wickedly hot down here.................

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Excellent news, tell her to put on some sun screen, it is wickedly hot down here.................
Thanks for the advice.....will do...

Cold comfort I know (no pun intended...), but it was 102 where I am in Silicon Valley the other day...thought I was going to melt when I had to be outside...

Cooled off to only 93 today......

Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Yeah, watch them offer $2500 off on 2019's ......................LOL

I fully expect to see some pretty nice incentives on dealer stock. Thinking they will be shutting down the 2019 orders as Jul 1 starts the new cycle.

So just ruminating here...suppose a person orders a car w/ say a $1000 incentive and then Mini comes out w/ a $2500 off all remaining dealer inventory. Could a person refuse delivery in which case the car goes into dealer inventory and then becomes eligible for the $2500 incentive. Naturally the dealer would have to go along with this maneuver, but in the end they (dealer) would still make the same profit while the buyer would have less out-of-pocket expense.

These are the things us retired people mull around in our noggins.to kill a day.....................LOL
From what I was told, custom orders already stopped.

And as far as the incentives go, you don't lock that in when ordering. You get whatever is available at the time of pickup.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by d2mini
From what I was told, custom orders already stopped.

And as far as the incentives go, you don't lock that in when ordering. You get whatever is available at the time of pickup.
Yes, very true indeed. My $2K off was if I ordered before 31 March and took delivery before 30 June (so far all is on schedule).....So the "inked" deal I have is based on that incentive.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
I just signed on a fully loaded iconic Countryman S All4 today.
My dealer said it just came out of production.
Bimmer.Work says the production date was 06-05-19... assuming that means start of.
Anyone else in this time frame, I guess soon to be waiting for a boat?
$2k off msrp but looks like I'm going to miss this month's $1500 off incentive. Hopefully there is something decent for July!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Bimmer.Work says the production date was 06-05-19... assuming that means start of.
$2k off msrp but looks like I'm going to miss this month's $1500 off incentive. Hopefully there is something decent for July!
Congratulations.

This thread gives hope that there are still a few MINI customers willing to step up and motor in a new MINI.

Next month it will be time for me to put together my order and my deal on my next MINI. I went on the German MINI web site yesterday and played with their version of the configurator and was able to build a 2020 Clubman to see what the new exterior colors look like. Also saw the brown Clubman interior seating for the first time. Watching you guys follow your cars has given me the fever again, just when I thought I was over it.

The following users liked this post:
d2mini (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Picking the car up this morning 0930. Will be nice to have a Mini back sharing the garage.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:05 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Pics or it didn't happen!

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Picking the car up this morning 0930. Will be nice to have a Mini back sharing the garage.
Nothing Beats that New MINI smell.
Congratulations. Hope it's as perfect as can be.
And thanks for sharing the adventure. You provided a lot of very useful information and insight throughout the process.

Last edited by 2017All4; 06-15-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:59 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Nothing Beats that New MINI smell.
Congratulations. Hope it's as perfect as can be.
And thanks for sharing the adventure. You provided a lot of very useful information and insight throughout the process.
Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Here's a pix of the car as received. Wheels will be replaced, but at least its home. Car is pepper white with chrome line exterior (kinda diggin' the chrome brake ducts). (looks kinda "lemony" in the pix, must be the Florida Sun). It is actually pepper white.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:44 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Here's a pix of the car as received. Wheels will be replaced, but at least its home. Car is pepper white with chrome line exterior (kinda diggin' the chrome brake ducts). (looks kinda "lemony" in the pix, must be the Florida Sun). It is actually pepper white.
Nice!!! As a member of the satellite gray club, I will tell you you're gonna love that interior, though keeping the seats clean is an ongoing chore, in my experience.
And I like the wheels as well as the chrome bits.
Enjoy it as only folks of our vintage can.... these young people got no idea,

Now plug in a little tuning box and MOTOR!!

Old 06-15-2019, 01:08 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Looks great, congrats! If I didn't have two little kids I would have gotten the satellite interior on mine.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Nice!!! As a member of the satellite gray club, I will tell you you're gonna love that interior, though keeping the seats clean is an ongoing chore, in my experience.
And I like the wheels as well as the chrome bits.
Enjoy it as only folks of our vintage can.... these young people got no idea,

Now plug in a little tuning box and MOTOR!!
Thank you. Wife and I thought this time around we'd go with a more sedate configuration. Hoping the gray interior doesn't present too much of a maintenance issue. Basically using the car for around town dinners and grocery getting. Hoping dark pants won't bleed onto the seats. Past cars w/ light leather interiors, I usually threw a towel on the seat pad when using. Dunno if I'll do that this time or not. I'll just have to watch and see. I have a leather cleaner and conditioner that I used on older cars, but now, many of the "leather" interiors are not a true leather, but rather a slurry of animal hide that is processed, rolled and patterned and treated with a protective film (BMW Dakota Leather is a prime example). Leather cleaners can actually do more harm that good as they try to penetrate the protective film. Almost, better to use a mild detergent and get surface dirt and leave the protective coating in place.

What has been your experience with the seat cleaning?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:36 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Looks great and I like those wheels.....and the gray interior too, which I'm getting as well....just wish they were still offering the gray door panels as well.....

One of my neighbors has the pepper white and it looks like yours color-wise.....

Enjoy!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Congrats on your build and production, hopefully, it will be done by end of this week....and then on its way!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Congratulations.

This thread gives hope that there are still a few MINI customers willing to step up and motor in a new MINI.

Next month it will be time for me to put together my order and my deal on my next MINI. I went on the German MINI web site yesterday and played with their version of the configurator and was able to build a 2020 Clubman to see what the new exterior colors look like. Also saw the brown Clubman interior seating for the first time. Watching you guys follow your cars has given me the fever again, just when I thought I was over it.
Sounds great...glad we could help you and MINI at the same time....

Are there many new colors?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:47 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Well, more progress.....

Altair Leader came and left Jacksonville, FL, the other day.....and is now about to pass the Bahamas......

ETA to Panama Canal is this Wed, 6/19......

Hope I can watch it pass through....

Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Well, more progress.....

Altair Leader came and left Jacksonville, FL, the other day.....and is now about to pass the Bahamas......

ETA to Panama Canal is this Wed, 6/19......

Hope I can watch it pass through....

Sounds like your ship is still under steam and heading your way. I dunno, but as it gets closer, it seems like the ship starts dropping anchor about 500 miles away from port (at least is seemed that way to me).

Agreed about the Mini not offering the gray door panels. Best we could do is add the Silver trim instead of the piano black for dash and door panels..

Something of note on the new 2019 cars.(drove me crazy). After we got the familiarization by the sales guy, I put in my thumb drive, and I could not get the music to skip to the next song using the steering wheel arrow key. (My 2015 allowed me to hit the arrow and it would go to the next song (either in an album or the next random song on the entire drive). The 2019 you have to press the "ok" button for it go. I had to go in and get the sales guy to get that one figured out.

Couple of odd ball changes since 2015 that I'm still trying to figure out. Like it's raining a bit today, and wanted the wipers set to auto (sensing) , 2015, there was a button you pressed to activate that feature (and they would remain in the auto sensing until the car was turned off), also as soon as the wipers moved, the headlights would come on. Now it's a auto setting in the stalk, but headlight do not come on when wiper makes the first swipe. Have to go into the manual to figure that one out..

The little stuff can make you nuts. :

Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM
JasonMa
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Something of note on the new 2019 cars.(drove me crazy). After we got the familiarization by the sales guy, I put in my thumb drive, and I could not get the music to skip to the next song using the steering wheel arrow key. (My 2015 allowed me to hit the arrow and it would go to the next song (either in an album or the next random song on the entire drive). The 2019 you have to press the "ok" button for it go. I had to go in and get the sales guy to get that one figured out.:
Odd, on my 2019 F56 the arrow buttons allow me to move up and down through my music list on my USB stick.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Sounds like your ship is still under steam and heading your way. I dunno, but as it gets closer, it seems like the ship starts dropping anchor about 500 miles away from port (at least is seemed that way to me).
Hmmm.....reminds me of 'ambi-helical threads' on bolts....the more you tighten 'em, the looser they get.....

Agreed about the Mini not offering the gray door panels. Best we could do is add the Silver trim instead of the piano black for dash and door panels..
Silver trim?....don't recall that option...think I went with some sort of gray option.

Something of note on the new 2019 cars.(drove me crazy). After we got the familiarization by the sales guy, I put in my thumb drive, and I could not get the music to skip to the next song using the steering wheel arrow key. (My 2015 allowed me to hit the arrow and it would go to the next song (either in an album or the next random song on the entire drive). The 2019 you have to press the "ok" button for it go. I had to go in and get the sales guy to get that one figured out.

Couple of odd ball changes since 2015 that I'm still trying to figure out. Like it's raining a bit today, and wanted the wipers set to auto (sensing) , 2015, there was a button you pressed to activate that feature (and they would remain in the auto sensing until the car was turned off), also as soon as the wipers moved, the headlights would come on. Now it's a auto setting in the stalk, but headlight do not come on when wiper makes the first swipe. Have to go into the manual to figure that one out..
Hmmmm................not sure I quite follow about the headlights turning on and wiper settings....i'm sure it's clearer when one has the car...

The little stuff can make you nuts. :
Yes, indeed......

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wish I could share in the fun, but as of this morning, I'm still on "arrived at the port" status, where I've been since May 28. Can't seem to get any additional information from either calling Mini directly or my dealer (although I was pretty laid back last time I called the dealer so might try again today a bit more aggressively to make sure they don't have some ability to get more up to date information than I can get on my own).

Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JasonMa
Odd, on my 2019 F56 the arrow buttons allow me to move up and down through my music list on my USB stick.
Mine does also, but I have to press the ok button for that song to play (steering wheel only). The arrow keys on the center stack allows the next song to play without any further input. Just the steering wheel arrows need "ok" to be pressed. When I asked the sales guy why, he said, that way you can press the arrow key as many times as I want to get a song before selecting it. I suppose that makes some sense if you are listening to one album and want a specific song played. I use mine in shuffle mode so the song song is random anyway. So the old way was fine with me. If I didn't like that song, I'd press the arrow key again and the next random song would start. Now I have to press "ok" each time I use the arrows on the steering wheel for any song to play. Once it starts, it will play random song without further button pressing. Only when I want to skip a song, I have to press ok for playback to start.

Hope that makes sense

Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear

Silver trim?....don't recall that option...think I went with some sort of gray option.

You probably selected the same option as I did. Think it was called "dark silver dash surface" trim. I changes the dash color and the black trim piece across the doors to a silver-ish gray..

Hmmmm................not sure I quite follow about the headlights turning on and wiper settings....i'm sure it's clearer when one has the car...

My old 2015 has the rain sensor feature (manually operated on the stalk end via a button) push the button and the sensor activates and keeps windshield clear of rain drops and also turns on the headlights

New 2019, has the rain sensor setting on the stalk. You can set it to automatic...and when it starts to rain, the wipers start (without having to manually enable the sensor like the 2015). The headlights on mine are set to "auto" and will come on when dusk. I did not notice them coming on when the auto wiper started (as it was misting this morning).....so I immediately started fiddling w/o much success. Finally got home, opened the book, made sure all the functions were set to auto and when I activated the wipers manually, there is appox a 3-4 second delay for the headlights to come on. I was jumping the gun earlier. I can only assume that when the wipers start automatically via the sensor, the headlights will click on shortly thereafter. Guess the only way to check that is to park the car with the engine running and hit the windshield with a hose.

Yes, indeed......
Setting the homelink was another circle jerk. Book says green lights will appear on the mirror after pressing buttons...guess what, there are no green lights. All are amber, so trying to set the opener using the book instruction won't succeed unless it's by dumb-luck. I went to Google and found instructions that matched my car...............................

May sound a bit picky, but being former military, you write op orders so the village idiot can understand them (Napoleon understood this concept) otherwise there is room for misinterpretation and failure..

Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM
JasonMa
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine does also, but I have to press the ok button for that song to play (steering wheel only). The arrow keys on the center stack allows the next song to play without any further input. Just the steering wheel arrows need "ok" to be pressed. When I asked the sales guy why, he said, that way you can press the arrow key as many times as I want to get a song before selecting it. I suppose that makes some sense if you are listening to one album and want a specific song played. I use mine in shuffle mode so the song song is random anyway. So the old way was fine with me. If I didn't like that song, I'd press the arrow key again and the next random song would start. Now I have to press "ok" each time I use the arrows on the steering wheel for any song to play. Once it starts, it will play random song without further button pressing. Only when I want to skip a song, I have to press ok for playback to start.

Hope that makes sense
It makes sense, it just doesn't match what my Mini does. All I have to do is push the arrow on the steering wheel and it moves to the next song in my playlist and starts palying. Currently I'm shuffling by Genre (I haven't gotten my actual playlists exported to the USB stick yet).

Old 06-17-2019, 12:17 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JasonMa
It makes sense, it just doesn't match what my Mini does. All I have to do is push the arrow on the steering wheel and it moves to the next song in my playlist and starts palying. Currently I'm shuffling by Genre (I haven't gotten my actual playlists exported to the USB stick yet).

I'm going to try it again and see if my first attempt was an anomaly. Yours operates as I would expect it too.

Although, on my 2017 BMW, there isn't an arrow key to go to the next song, but rather a small wheel which when turned lists the song playing and songs immediately after and behind that song, alphabetically. I can turn the wheel in either direction to select another song and push the wheel in to select...so it works similarly to the way my 2019 Mini works with the exception it doesn't display the next "random" song in the line-up, but rather the song alphabetically adjacent to the one playing. Again, odd-ball to operation to what I would choose for skipping a song, but maybe perfectly logical to someone wanting to look for a specific song (since the direct skipping can be done on the center stack w/o issue).

It is cumbersome if the song playing starts with an "A" and you want to hear a song that starts with a "W". I have 10,000 songs to scroll through to get to the song (or simply ask through voice command to play the specific song I want). This would probably work fine if you are playing an album w/ 13 songs...but for random play it isn't.

So many features are implemented by the engineers w/o ever testing them in a practical application. They come up with and idea and implement it and pat themselves on the back for their ingenuity.

I could rant on the color and illumination variances of the center display on my 2015 Mini. Red-ish orange lettering on a black screen, with some text dimmer (on purpose) than others. Was told it was to maintain night vision . Heck, night-time was the only time I could actually read it without a problem. Nearly impossible to read in the day light . Thankfully that is not the case with the 2019. Center stack info is clearly readable in all light levels at a glance. Hooray!

Update:

Just checked it again. arrows give me previous and next song (random) displayed on my HUD. Must push "ok" to select and play that song.

Last edited by USA-RET; 06-17-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?