Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap

Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
7 years and just over 60k miles on my swap, and no problems at all. It's been absolutely worth it. I did wire in the reverse light and cruise control too. I have definitely gotten a little better gas mileage, so gas savings over the years will help make back the costs. It's also the same price or cheaper to put in the 6-speed vs. a rebuilt CVT.

On my swap, Way used the Valeo single mass conversion kit for the flywheel and clutch. The setup is priced well and reliable, but, like most R53 setups, is a little heavy for the base Cooper. I believe the Valeo kit is around 26 lbs. while the stock base Cooper setup is around 17 or 18 lbs. if I remember correctly. There are no drivability problems, but that extra weight does make the engine just a little sluggish to respond.

I've been interested in trying a lighter weight flywheel and might experiment with ACT steel flywheel, sprung clutch disc, and LuK pressure plate (wouldn't want any of the extra clamping force of the ACT pressure plate). That setup would come close to matching the weight of the stock Cooper setup. I have all the parts, but haven't had the time to put them in and give a try yet.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is great to hear. As soon as the weather will permit me to ride my FZ-07, still below freezing point here, we will start on Francis' CVT swap.
Cheers

Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
That is great to hear. As soon as the weather will permit me to ride my FZ-07, still below freezing point here, we will start on Francis' CVT swap.
Cheers
Best of luck with it! Try to source the transmission from an 05 or 06 due to the slightly better gear ratios.

Are you familiar with the coding that needs to be done? That's one of the trickier aspects of the swap. I had Way do all the coding on mine. I think he is able to do it if you send all of the computer modules to him. For DIY coding, folks over the on the BMW forums have some how-tos on what needs to be done to re-code from an automatic to a manual.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
We have a 06 that will be the donor . I'll be using Waymotor works for the reprogramming, with all the experience they have, it is the best choice for me.

Cheers

Last edited by nolimit; 04-16-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Great - sounds like you're good to go.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
I was wondering if you could post some pics of your engine compartment, I hear that I may need to rework the air box and would like to see how a finished Mini looks like there.

Cheers

Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I currently have the DDM works intake which I'd definitely recommend. After a few years of running it with the UNI foam filter, I switched it out for an AFE pro dry s filter, so no more cleaning and re-oiling now.

With that said, the first year after my swap, I was still using the stock airbox, and it didn't require any alterations to fit. Mine is '03, so the later style airbox might be the one that requires the change. Maybe someone else can chime in, or Way would probably know since he's done a number of these swaps.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Well that is good to know, I'll look into the DDM works intake, and until then the 03 and 05 engine bays do look the same. So I should be able to still go stock there.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
They did slightly change the shape of the intake box from 7/2004 and on, but from the parts diagrams, it doesn't look different enough to affect fit issues. The pre-facelift box is rectangular, while the post facelift has a 45 degree notch in halfway on the side. Not really sure why they made the change.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM
nolimit
4th Gear

New Pedals

and the newish 6 Speed shiftier
Updates on my Conversion

Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 AM
nolimit
4th Gear

Cleaned up the engine bay and touched up some of the paint.

The engine is all ready to go.
One of the biggest surprises I had was how badly damaged the Radiator support had, 5 different breaks and a big chunk missing on the bottom.
This Friday the ECUs should be in from Way Motor Works, KUDOS to a very quick turn around.
If all the last misc parts get here and all goes well Francis should be derivable by the end of the weekend.
I'm also using this as an opportunity to replace the coolant hoses, they are almost 15 yrs old, and other minor things.

The following users liked this post:
gknorr (06-25-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:41 AM
nolimit
4th Gear

well the engine/trans are in, but because i miss ordered the exhaust gasket and still waiting for Trans fluid, we were unable to complete this weekend. Wednesday/Thursday for completion

Old 08-28-2019, 11:52 PM
Caterpillaraoz
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sweet job!
You are still in time (if you haven't done yet and I just missed the post) to drop an LSD in the gearbox. It's a MASSIVE improvement dynamics-wise.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:01 AM
Richard Smith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT to manual right hand drive

Hi peeps.

great thread.

I live over the pond and have a 02 mini with a CVT box.
the fault was that it would not go over first and there was a scratching coming from box it self.
I have removed box to find oil pump spindle snapped so need new primary drum and oil pump.
I was looking at swapping to manual box. Would there be any problems regarding UK settings and being a Right hand drive

Old 04-26-2020, 07:35 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Smith
Hi peeps.

great thread.

I live over the pond and have a 02 mini with a CVT box.
the fault was that it would not go over first and there was a scratching coming from box it self.
I have removed box to find oil pump spindle snapped so need new primary drum and oil pump.
I was looking at swapping to manual box. Would there be any problems regarding UK settings and being a Right hand drive
Everything should be very similar in the UK. The trickiest part is the coding, so you may want to make sure you know a shop that can handle that part before jumping in to the project. Way Motor Works here in the US offers a remote coding service, so that's a possible option, although the shipping across the pond could get expensive for you.

Everything else should be relatively straightforward. Hopefully you can source all of the parts from an 05 or 06 Cooper S - you'd get the reliable 6-speed and the "facelift" gear ratios that are better for the base cooper. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Richard Smith
Originally Posted by gknorr
Everything should be very similar in the UK. The trickiest part is the coding, so you may want to make sure you know a shop that can handle that part before jumping in to the project. Way Motor Works here in the US offers a remote coding service, so that's a possible option, although the shipping across the pond could get expensive for you.

Everything else should be relatively straightforward. Hopefully you can source all of the parts from an 05 or 06 Cooper S - you'd get the reliable 6-speed and the "facelift" gear ratios that are better for the base cooper. Good luck!

great advice, thanks for the reply.

#staysafe

Old 04-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Caterpillaraoz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Richard Smith
great advice, thanks for the reply.

#staysafe

Get a 6 speed from the facelift, as has been said has ratios better fitted for the Cooper. Also, look for a BKL 'box, the LSD is amazing.
If you are in Europe look for LA MINI, sells complete kits and that's where I got mine.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:33 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Do the 6speed swap!

gknorr (05-04-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:50 PM
TheRealRandomAndrew
1st Gear
After many weeks of reading through this.. it really makes me question if I'm going to be able to do this to my '05 one day. Mind you these cars havnt been so hard to work on so far but then again I have only done a coolant system rebuild so far. I do have the CVT and knowing it will only take so much power (120hp?) I will one day want to do the 6 speed swap. Glad these forums exist as it will help others learn and prepare for something huge like this. One question when it comes to reprogramming, ECU stuff.. would a standalone engine management like Haltech or HP tuners replace the need for ECU flashing and whatnot.. just curious.. and if not are there programs one could use to do the reflashing from home?

Old 05-16-2020, 03:30 AM
Caterpillaraoz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheRealRandomAndrew
After many weeks of reading through this.. it really makes me question if I'm going to be able to do this to my '05 one day. Mind you these cars havnt been so hard to work on so far but then again I have only done a coolant system rebuild so far. I do have the CVT and knowing it will only take so much power (120hp?) I will one day want to do the 6 speed swap. Glad these forums exist as it will help others learn and prepare for something huge like this. One question when it comes to reprogramming, ECU stuff.. would a standalone engine management like Haltech or HP tuners replace the need for ECU flashing and whatnot.. just curious.. and if not are there programs one could use to do the reflashing from home?
Go for the swap, is the best mod EVER for the R50. In this thread you'll find the Texas guys' pdf that is a fantastic and complete write-up. It's a straightforward operation but you need a complete shop with competent people do it the right way unless you have great deal of tools and great diy skills.

The from-cvt-to-manual aspect doesn't need any fancy extra electronics (or maybe just one module for a donor car, idk), look in the previous pages and there is a vendor that IIRC can do the necessary programming for you rather easily as it's something that has been done multiple times.

You won't be disappointed!!!

Old 01-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Random Andrew
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SO I did go back and read this entire thread.. I'm convinced I can do this and to boot we have RPM Motorsports up here, I checked the link and they're still a go which as I said is a huge plus. After reading all this I'm also pretty nervous for my CVT as my 05 R50 now has 262K and climbing but so far so good.
My biggest hold up in attempting this is the lack of funds. I have fallen in love with this cooper and don't want it out for the count over the CVT so one way or another it'll get the 6spd swap one day... What's my best bet to find a cheap donor cooper ya think...?

Old 01-12-2021, 01:07 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
If you can get a donor car, so many parts that you will be able to use off of it. When done your CVT Cooper will feel like a different car. My donor car was a 06 I hear the ratios are a better fit when using that year.
Cheers

Old 01-12-2021, 04:19 AM
Caterpillaraoz
2nd Gear
Get a facelift gearbox, ideally with the factory fitted LSD.
You can either get a donor car at a junkyard or find someone that sells the kit at a fair price - i got mine from LA MINI in UK.

It's not a complicate job BUT you must have ALL the parts ready and have access to someone that can crimp hydraulic lines, mine was done by a tuck maintenance shop nearby.

Impressed by the longevity of your CVT, you may be able to sell it a nice price - not easy to come by a working used mini cvt.

Btw after you get the 'box conversion you won't believe the improvement - the car is transformed and the ratios are perfect. It stays in the 4800-6800 rpm powerband like a charm and the longer 6th gear even makes for some little but significant fuel savings.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:13 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Random Andrew
What's my best bet to find a cheap donor cooper ya think...?
Look out for a good donor MINI on car auctions (copart is one site) or a local sale with one that might have other problems so they're selling cheap. Pick-your-own salvage yards are another economical option if you have any near you.

If you have a donor car, you will not need to do the crimping of hydraulic lines mentioned above. You should be able to use the lines from the donor car, as was done in my swap.

Very impressed you're up to 262k with the CVT - wow!

If you love the car and it's otherwise in good shape, the swap is indeed an excellent route to go when the CVT goes out.

I'm actually in the middle of reworking the flywheel/clutch setup on mine, not due to any problems though, just curiosity/experimentation. My swap used the Valeo single mass flywheel/clutch setup, which is a little lighter than the stock S setup but still quite a bit heavier than what a stock base Cooper flywheel/clutch setup is. I'm also putting in the factory LSD too. I'll probably have the car back together in a week or so and will report back with the results and the parts I used.

Random Andrew (01-12-2021)