3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM
RG_mini
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 US spec UJ tail lights, non LED light package

Hey guys, has anyone figured out the coding for the non LED cars? I can get all of the errors to clear, but the brakes still over ride the turn signal. I've done all of the programming in the thread but theres every possibility I messed something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

update: got it guys! Under 3064, turn mapping_bremsl_2_×_output to off. X being l and r
this fixes the brake over ride for the US spec tail lights. Still have to so all the LED settings for monitoring, but everything else is gtg. Big thanks to DunkM for the steer!*

Last edited by RG_mini; 03-09-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Fixed
The following users liked this post:
DunkM (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM
mminoo
Neutral
Help

I noticed it has been a while that you had posted this solution and I was wondering if there is a chance if you could provide a step by step of what I have to do to get rid of the error codes. I have a US F56 Cooper S with LED and bought a euro version of UJ tail lights. Installed and no issues except with hard breaks I get the errors. Your help is appreciated. ,
Originally Posted by DunkM
Note: this solves the issue with the Euro part numbers with amber turns signals.
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

For my big finale, the coding for EU market UJ taillights is actually surprisingly simple.

The first thing I had to realize is that there are two sets of mapping data. In other words, our cars are smart enough to output into two places with one input.

This led me to realize that the brake lights (vertical part of taillights) are coded as bfd_l and bfd_r.

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Disclaimer: my car was already built with LED taillights. Therefore, if you plan on upgrading to the LED taillights from halogen, you may need change additional data.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not responsible if you somehow code something different from me and are rear ended or anything else. We are dealing with very important car functions, and it is possible to code out and turn off your brake lights completely, in fact I did at one point.

P.S. The issue that American part number people are having is probably related to the mapping output for brakelights, as the system is applying the brake signal to both.
P.S.S. My car currently does not turn on the hazards when hard braking and coming to a stop, will look into coding that this week.

bpx (03-06-2021)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Sansho
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just installed the Euro UJ lights on a US F55 (build date 2/18 with front LED package). Couple of observations ... disconnecting the top 4 trim clips (see attached pic) allows the trim to basically just fall off the light. There are 3 bolts holding each tail lamp on, and when reinstalling the bolts, torque spec is 2.5nm. Coding with Bimmercode changed bulbs to LED and eliminated errors. Amber turn signal blinks independently of brake lights. Still need to program for BFD, as noted in the updated first post. Once I figure out how to gain access to the fog lights, I'll add bulbs and change coding to work as additional brake lights.

Last edited by Sansho; 05-13-2019 at 01:51 PM.
ECSTuning (04-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM
GeorgeStreet
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help for Canadians

Hi I have recently experienced a extremely frustrating event when trying to get replacement Union Jack Taillights on my 2017 Mini Cooper S which has the LED headlight package, but standard bulbs in taillights.

I had spoken to the Mini dealer who in turn approach Mini Canada and was told “that it was a straight swap, and minor programming” Well 7 hours later at the dealer I was told that it could not be done and back to the beginning. The Dealer confirmed back with Mini Canada that there are no retrofit parts or programming available for the Canadian Market? They also advised that “if this installation was performed incorrectly, you could risk further damage to the light control units”

My question is this not a North American vehicle? I realize that there are different parts for European and North American vehicles, but has anyone found a solution to get these taillights installed in F56 vehicles?

is there any help for Canada ?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeStreet
Hi I have recently experienced a extremely frustrating event when trying to get replacement Union Jack Taillights on my 2017 Mini Cooper S which has the LED headlight package, but standard bulbs in taillights.

I had spoken to the Mini dealer who in turn approach Mini Canada and was told “that it was a straight swap, and minor programming” Well 7 hours later at the dealer I was told that it could not be done and back to the beginning. The Dealer confirmed back with Mini Canada that there are no retrofit parts or programming available for the Canadian Market? They also advised that “if this installation was performed incorrectly, you could risk further damage to the light control units”

My question is this not a North American vehicle? I realize that there are different parts for European and North American vehicles, but has anyone found a solution to get these taillights installed in F56 vehicles?

I honestly don’t think there is a difference. I have the same led headlight package with the tails as standard bulbs on a 2018 MCS (prod 2017), did the swap and programming myself...took no more than an hr.

Never bother going to the dealer for these type of things, unless there is an official retrofit manual they are useless.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Sansho
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure why it's any different in Canada than US? As described above, I installed them on my 2018 MCS with LED headlights, and used Bimmercode to tell the Mini that the rear taillights are now LED. If your dealer will not/no longer do this, you can do it yourself or perhaps an independent garage could carry it out. Part numbers for both US [assume North America also] (red turn signal = red horizontal hash + brake light) and Euro (amber turn signal operates independently of brake light) versions have been posted here, so you can buy them. I installed the Euro version, as I think the amber turn signal is more noticeable.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:15 PM
TristanJCW
Neutral
Hi DunkM,

Thanks for all the details! I installed them on my 2018 JWC without any issues!

Is there a way to have the UJ lights always on (even during the day) like the daytime driving lights?

Thanks,

Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TristanJCW
Hi DunkM,

Is there a way to have the UJ lights always on (even during the day) like the daytime driving lights?

Thanks,
I used Esys with this coding:

in BDC

3062 – MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_L_OUTPUT = sl_l

3062 – MAPPING_TAGFAHRL_1_H_R_OUTPUT = sl_r

Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 PM
TristanJCW
Neutral
Originally Posted by TristanJCW
Hi DunkM,

Thanks,
Okey, after searching a little more I found an easy way to do it directly in BDC_01 with Bimmer Code (regular mode):

In BDC-_01, go to "DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS" and select ACTIVE for "Day Time Running Light Rear"

I hope this help!

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
So I just installed my UJ Euro taillights and I'm not getting the horizontal amber bar at all. That was the whole main reason I even purchased them.

I have a 2019 JCW with the newer UJ Brake lights and followed the directions in the 1st post.

Anyone have any ideas if there's a seperate line of code for just the horizontal amber line I missed?

IrishCooper (04-17-2022)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM
curlywurly
2nd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeStreet

BC - 17 JCW with LED lights.

I've had working UJ lights for a few months working just fine.
Mini Failtown in central vancouver quoted me 1500 CAD plus plus to fit the US style lights.
Mini Richmond just outside of the city centre were more accommodating (i did buy the car there)

Reading DunkM advice here i figured i could buy the blingy UK Mulgari lights, get em shipped and even with duty be well ahead of the game by coding them myself. Took less than an hour including the physical removal and install of new lights. Plus i was about to code daytime running how i liked

Not clear from your dealer tale what your current state of play is - did you pay for the lights and they just gave up on the coding?
If you have bought the lights from your dealer - id suggest handling this yourself - the physical removal and replace is easy -and DunkMs coding is like a painting by numbers foolproof job.

if you have no parts or coding - id go off piste and either get the US or Euro lights on line shipped, and code yourself
Only question is do you prefer the orange horizontal indicator or the red - and do you care of the brake/indicator is separate.

Last edited by curlywurly; 06-11-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:24 AM
Agraz400
Neutral
Can someone who has a halogen spec'd car post exactly all that they changed to get US spec tail lights to function 100% with no errors? I have a 2019 F56 halogen car that I've spent countless hours trying to get US spec union Jack's to work in. I feel like I've tried every variation that's been posted. The only combination I've found works to cancel the brake over turn signal, is turning Bremsl 1 from BL to OFF, but now the car throws a lighting warning message - but only when braking while the car is in motion. I've read through this post numerous times and have spent days searching for a solution, but the information out there is always riddled with different spec'd cars (LED and halogen) and different spec'd tail lights (UK and US).. so I'm not sure if some settings that work for one, are hindering proper operation for another. Thank you for any help

Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Does anyone know where ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 are?

I can't seem to find them anywhere under 3064, 3065 or 3068?

Smittysweets (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts

Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Thank you, now I have something to do later.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 AM
jlshearer
1st Gear
OK BOYS AND GIRLS, UNION JACK TAIL LIGHTS
All set To take the '17 F57 to get tail lights installed at Mini Cincinnati yesterday, only to be told it couldn't be done :( Had hubby' s Credit Card, as well, which NEVER happens ,so, I'm 100% sad!!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want them. Reading this thread has given me hopes That "I" can DO THIS!!! only sleight hope
I have halogen taillights. can these be changed with mere code? Is there a reason the F57 is not a candidate? I guess I have the facelift, Not sure. I've never coded anything.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:20 AM
TristanJCW
Neutral
Yes, you should definitely be able to make them work if you follow the procedure to change to coding. I have done it on my 2018 JCW (with led) but I think that you have the same tail lights.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by DunkM
NOTE: If you have the halogen front lights and have done the work necessary to replace the rear lights with either UJ or pre-facelift taillights please PM me with details so that I can add them here.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: There has been a number of incorrect comments popping up about LED rear lights. The pre-facelift cars had two options, …
After having my R50 for so many years, I just got a F56. Can someone explain what is meant by a "pre-facelift"? Can this please be explained in terms of a model year or a production date? Mine's a 2016, with a production date of 8/2015.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I just bought a set of Helix brand UJ tail lights off eBay. $299 price tag beats the OEM price by a mile. Reportedly plug and play installation. Mine will be here next week and after I get them installed I'll update my post.

Walt (08-07-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 AM
Walt
5th Gear
In looking at the UJ taillights, the brake lights look rather "minimal" to me.

There is a pic. The top of the pic is the turn signal, while the bottom of the pic is the brake light. Doesn't that look rather small?

BTW, the full UJ is the driving/parking light.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
You are showing the UK version of the lights. The US version has both the Horizontal and Vertical lines light up for Brakes and Turn signal. Also, the US version is all Red

Originally Posted by Walt
In looking at the UJ taillights, the brake lights look rather "minimal" to me.

There is a pic. The top of the pic is the turn signal, while the bottom of the pic is the brake light. Doesn't that look rather small?

BTW, the full UJ is the driving/parking light.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:16 PM
JonnyUSA
Neutral
UJ lights on 2019 Mini Cooper - US

hi, really appreciate everyone detailing how to get these working on their Minis. First off, I'm new to this so quite possible I've posted this in wrong place (sorry). I have 2019 Cooper (F56 I assume?) and swapped out the tail lights for the US UJ ones. Followed all the instructions here but the indicators still stop flashing when I brake. In playing around with this, the only thing that got it working correctly was to change 3064/ mapping_bremsl_1_x_output to 'off'. Everything works perfectly, EXCEPT when I go and drive off, shortly after I get a 'lighting system malfunction' error popping up on both screens. It does this repeatedly every time I brake, so very annoying. Anyone got any ideas, going crazy here!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
You are showing the UK version of the lights. The US version has both the Horizontal and Vertical lines light up for Brakes and Turn signal. Also, the US version is all Red
I thought I was showing an example of 3rd party UJ taillights, like those sold on eBay (see post previous to mine by @vetsvette )?

My point is still very valid. I would be greatly concerned over having only small portion of my tail lights (these very thin horizonal/vertical lines) that would be illuminating when braking. It giving me great pause over doing this upgrade or not.

Last edited by Walt; 08-12-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Victum of auto-correct.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 AM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt
I thought I was showing an example of 3rd party UJ taillights, like those sold on eBay (see post previous to mine by @vetsvette )?

My point is still very valid. I would be greatly concerned over having only small portion of my tail lights (these very thin horizonal/vertical lines) that would be illuminating when braking. It giving me great pause over doing this upgrade or not.
Thats an example of the UK version as stated, your point is still very valid as I had the same concerns.

I went with the OEM US UJ tails as they provided more than sufficient lighting when brakes are applied.
The UK UJs tho that’s a very small bit of brake light, but then you also have the third brake light at the top of the vehicle.

Jstancampiano (01-20-2020)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
My lights came in this morning. Have to wait for the weather to cool off a little bit and I get some assistance before installing. Until then I'll just post pics of the package. Seems to be of decent quality.

OVERVIEW

LED WIRING HARNESS

Walt (08-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Union Jack Taillights