3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM
RG_mini
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 US spec UJ tail lights, non LED light package

Hey guys, has anyone figured out the coding for the non LED cars? I can get all of the errors to clear, but the brakes still over ride the turn signal. I've done all of the programming in the thread but theres every possibility I messed something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

update: got it guys! Under 3064, turn mapping_bremsl_2_×_output to off. X being l and r
this fixes the brake over ride for the US spec tail lights. Still have to so all the LED settings for monitoring, but everything else is gtg. Big thanks to DunkM for the steer!*

Last edited by RG_mini; 03-09-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Fixed
The following users liked this post:
DunkM (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM
mminoo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I noticed it has been a while that you had posted this solution and I was wondering if there is a chance if you could provide a step by step of what I have to do to get rid of the error codes. I have a US F56 Cooper S with LED and bought a euro version of UJ tail lights. Installed and no issues except with hard breaks I get the errors. Your help is appreciated. ,
Originally Posted by DunkM View Post
Note: this solves the issue with the Euro part numbers with amber turns signals.
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

For my big finale, the coding for EU market UJ taillights is actually surprisingly simple.

The first thing I had to realize is that there are two sets of mapping data. In other words, our cars are smart enough to output into two places with one input.

This led me to realize that the brake lights (vertical part of taillights) are coded as bfd_l and bfd_r.

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Disclaimer: my car was already built with LED taillights. Therefore, if you plan on upgrading to the LED taillights from halogen, you may need change additional data.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not responsible if you somehow code something different from me and are rear ended or anything else. We are dealing with very important car functions, and it is possible to code out and turn off your brake lights completely, in fact I did at one point.

P.S. The issue that American part number people are having is probably related to the mapping output for brakelights, as the system is applying the brake signal to both.
P.S.S. My car currently does not turn on the hazards when hard braking and coming to a stop, will look into coding that this week.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Sansho
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just installed the Euro UJ lights on a US F55 (build date 2/18 with front LED package). Couple of observations ... disconnecting the top 4 trim clips (see attached pic) allows the trim to basically just fall off the light. There are 3 bolts holding each tail lamp on, and when reinstalling the bolts, torque spec is 2.5nm. Coding with Bimmercode changed bulbs to LED and eliminated errors. Amber turn signal blinks independently of brake lights. Still need to program for BFD, as noted in the updated first post. Once I figure out how to gain access to the fog lights, I'll add bulbs and change coding to work as additional brake lights.

Last edited by Sansho; 05-13-2019 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (04-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM
GeorgeStreet
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help for Canadians

Hi I have recently experienced a extremely frustrating event when trying to get replacement Union Jack Taillights on my 2017 Mini Cooper S which has the LED headlight package, but standard bulbs in taillights.

I had spoken to the Mini dealer who in turn approach Mini Canada and was told “that it was a straight swap, and minor programming” Well 7 hours later at the dealer I was told that it could not be done and back to the beginning. The Dealer confirmed back with Mini Canada that there are no retrofit parts or programming available for the Canadian Market? They also advised that “if this installation was performed incorrectly, you could risk further damage to the light control units”

My question is this not a North American vehicle? I realize that there are different parts for European and North American vehicles, but has anyone found a solution to get these taillights installed in F56 vehicles?

is there any help for Canada ?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM
6FT6
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeStreet View Post
Hi I have recently experienced a extremely frustrating event when trying to get replacement Union Jack Taillights on my 2017 Mini Cooper S which has the LED headlight package, but standard bulbs in taillights.

I had spoken to the Mini dealer who in turn approach Mini Canada and was told “that it was a straight swap, and minor programming” Well 7 hours later at the dealer I was told that it could not be done and back to the beginning. The Dealer confirmed back with Mini Canada that there are no retrofit parts or programming available for the Canadian Market? They also advised that “if this installation was performed incorrectly, you could risk further damage to the light control units”

My question is this not a North American vehicle? I realize that there are different parts for European and North American vehicles, but has anyone found a solution to get these taillights installed in F56 vehicles?

is there any help for Canada ?
I honestly don’t think there is a difference. I have the same led headlight package with the tails as standard bulbs on a 2018 MCS (prod 2017), did the swap and programming myself...took no more than an hr.

Never bother going to the dealer for these type of things, unless there is an official retrofit manual they are useless.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Sansho
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure why it's any different in Canada than US? As described above, I installed them on my 2018 MCS with LED headlights, and used Bimmercode to tell the Mini that the rear taillights are now LED. If your dealer will not/no longer do this, you can do it yourself or perhaps an independent garage could carry it out. Part numbers for both US [assume North America also] (red turn signal = red horizontal hash + brake light) and Euro (amber turn signal operates independently of brake light) versions have been posted here, so you can buy them. I installed the Euro version, as I think the amber turn signal is more noticeable.