RSR Motorsports Coverage The forum for discussions related to RSR Motorsports campagin in the Grand Am Cup.

Performance Friction Front Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Rsstopper
Coordinator :: RSR Motorsports Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Friction Front Brake Rotors

Last year, RSR teamed up with Performance Friction to develop an improved front brake rotor for the Mini's.

Grand Am rules require us to run stock factory calipers. For the R53 supercharged cars, that means the JCW brake package available from '03 through '06, including the GP series of cars. For the R56 Turbo cars, that means the standard brakes as delivered on cars except the JCW cars that use an upgraded package.

The PF rotor that we developed is now available and we highly recommend it. It saves +1.3 lbs PER SIDE, almost three lbs of unsprung weight and rotating mass compared to the factory rotors. In addition, it is directionally vented so it decreases the rotor temps dramatically. Our testing has shown racing temperature drops of over 200 degrees improving pad and rotor life.

Another great benefit is, the rotors are two piece and use an aluminum 'hat'. The hat reduces brake heat transfer into the hubs, prolonging bearing and hub life. On the R53 the lower ball joints are also very close to the rotor. The lower rotor temps save the rubber ball joint boots which melt under high temps allowing the grease to escape.

The rotor material is more durable as it lasts longer and extends pad life. When the rotors do need replacing, only the disc needs to be renewed, the hats are reused. As an example, it was not uncommon for the team to use two sets of stock rotors at an event weekend. We just replaced the first set of disc's that started life last year at Miller. That includes, Miller, VIR, the Daytona test weekend and the Daytona race.

Like any high quality part these are not cheap but they are worth the investment (and quite a bit less than you might suspect). As the driver of a GP on the street, I've found it much smarter to use the PF rotors rather than spending extra money on a full brake system. No worries about wheel fitment, spacers, etc. No problems with brake bias, warranties, etc. . . .

Lastly . . . RSR is not a speed shop. We don't sell stuff, including these rotors. I have nothing personally to gain from recommending these rotors other than helping a supplier who helped me. If you are interested and your local Mini Performance shop can't help, check with some of the vendors on these forums. If all else fails, send me a PM and I'll direct you to someone who can.

These rotors can be installed by the owner as they do not require opening nor bleeding the brake lines. A new set of pads should be installed with a rotor change. It's very simple and very cost effective.

If you have questions, post them here or send a PM. I would be happy to help.

Randy

Finally . . . a little disclaimer. . . These are high performance parts and probably not suitable for everyone or all applications. You need to make your own decision if it's right for you. My comments are based upon my personal experiences which may not apply to all.

Last edited by Rsstopper; 02-08-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Wow I am looking forward to my rotors and pads wearing out now.
What kinda pads ya'll run?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Rsstopper
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Wow I am looking forward to my rotors and pads wearing out now.
What kinda pads ya'll run?
These are perfect for the GP. I have them on mine. I run a PF pad with the rotors. It's a relatively low torque setup because I don't want them too 'grabby'.

We run a completely different setup on the race cars which would be inappropriate for the street.

-Randy-

Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Any Pics of What They Look Like?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Rsstopper
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Any Pics of What They Look Like?
Here's their website. The opening screen shows a picture of a similar rotor. This is what they would look like.

http://www.performancefriction.com/

They don't list the Mini Application yet.

Randy

Last edited by Rsstopper; 02-10-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are these PF rotors available anywhere yet?

These rotors seem like the ticket for those with factory R53 JCW brakes who dont want the hassle of 'upgrading' to a larger brake system.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Rsstopper
Originally Posted by cesare
Are these PF rotors available anywhere yet?

These rotors seem like the ticket for those with factory R53 JCW brakes who dont want the hassle of 'upgrading' to a larger brake system.
They are available. If you need a source, send me an email and I will forward it on.

randy@rsrmotorsports.com