North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing Discussion (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/road-racing-discussion-144/)
-   -   Octane MINI winter overhaul (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/road-racing-discussion/88040-octane-mini-winter-overhaul.html)

J Propane 12-30-2006 11:21 AM

Octane MINI winter overhaul

Throughout the winter. we will try to keep you updated with maintenance and modifications we will perform on the race car.

Our first step is to go back to items we never had a chance to complete while building the car.

1st one: removing the wiring harness and getting rid of what we no longer need:

onasled 12-30-2006 12:41 PM

I remember sitting in my living room with that harness for three days. I would say that 90% of it no longer exist, if not more. But I am doing without more gadgets then you Alain.

Next couple of weeks we will see if that was a big mistake ... :grin:

TonyB 12-30-2006 02:43 PM

Looks like a dang rat's nest! I can't imagine what that must be like to sort through...

Best of luck Alain. Looking forward to another successful season from you!

TheBlackBrian 12-30-2006 10:08 PM

Maybe we can get you to come down to a Cali event in 07?

-Brian

J Propane 12-31-2006 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian (Post 1294285)
Maybe we can get you to come down to a Cali event in 07?

-Brian

A visit to the US in '07 is not out of the question, pending release of our schedule, but a haul to Cali will not happen.

TheBlackBrian 12-31-2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by J Propane (Post 1294506)
A visit to the US in '07 is not out of the question, pending release of our schedule, but a haul to Cali will not happen.

Were are you thinking of racing is the US?

-Brian

J Propane 01-01-2007 08:29 AM

Lime Rock, Watkins Glen...

onasled 01-01-2007 08:48 AM

Alain,

Great to hear that you will be in my area. Keep me posted as soon as you know when and where. Let me know what class you will be running. Hopefully you will do some BMWCCA stuff.

J Propane 01-01-2007 03:28 PM

Greg,

Free crew is always a nice thing - but wait - you haven't offered yet - sorry, my mistake.:lol:

Next we'll work on these pesky 1/4 panel windows. Never liked what we did before. They were a bad 3:00 a.m. the day before the first race fit.

Short lexan flat piece with R56 1/4 panel-style inserts to install later. No they are not bolt-on! (Hi Jason, like the picture!!!!)

onasled 01-01-2007 04:13 PM

I was actually more looking to chasing you around the track in my car... :wink:
Do you have an idea with what group you would run with when and if you come down this way?

J Propane 01-01-2007 04:53 PM

Greg,

Considering what you are doing to your car and the fact that it's your home-track, I'd be very disappointed if that scenario was not reversed. (re: me chasing YOU):wink:

I haven't looked at any rules or events available, so I'll count on you to guide me. For me, It'll be more like a vacation.:nod: Unless somebody wants to throw ~$10g my way to co-drive (which will never happen) than may be I'd consider doing a week-end of G/Am Cup - Koni Challenge.

TonyB 01-01-2007 05:06 PM

And if this does materialize, I'll try to find a reason for a biz trip to the LRP area during that time :wink: . Get 'er done Greg!

J Propane 01-02-2007 06:43 PM

Or may be you should come to the CART race in July?

TonyB 01-02-2007 06:52 PM

Champ car?

Championship Auto Racing Teams? You lost me there Alain...

July 2007, where?

J Propane 01-02-2007 08:26 PM

Sorry Tony. I meant to say Toronto CART race...

TonyB 01-02-2007 08:32 PM

Ah, ok. That would be a treat indeed. As you might remember, my first only trip to Canada was to beautiful Victoria this past Summer.

I have a trip to Boston sometime in the Spring most likely, and I'm sure I can find an extra day trek to LRP...

J Propane 01-06-2007 04:25 PM

So after Greg's and Greg's car diet, (I know, wrong thread) time to go back to the original topic. Our car's diet. After a good pizza at lunch time, we almost completed our harness size shrinking project.

You can compare the thread's first picture, to the relative size in the new picture. With a few pieces removed in other areas, that's just over 15 lbs. shed. A good start. And not counting the electrical tape (we'll have to add some back later)

J Propane 01-06-2007 04:28 PM

We also started to clean things up a bit...

SE-R Racer 01-12-2007 06:12 PM

Need any split loom?
When you're done with that one, I know a certain 200SX that needs a similar treatment :D

Rsstopper 01-15-2007 06:01 PM

Wiring

. . . . With a few pieces removed in other areas, that's just over 15 lbs. shed. . . .

Interesting . . . we got 15 lbs out of our harness too. I guess that is the magic number. It was tricky because we didn't want to remove anything that would screw up the computer.

We left the Ignition key and associated wiring in place because we were concerned that . . . if removed, the computer might think the car was being stolen and not start. The computer needs to 'see' that chip in the key.

We may readdress that whole issue in the future when we have more time.

Randy

Grand Am #197

J Propane 01-20-2007 08:00 AM

Pat/SE-R racer: Get-off your butt and start doing it!

Randy: Interesting! I would have prefered beating you by a lb! :)

Another 7 lbs was removed last week-end, but I didn't have a chance to be here during the last week. More to come...

nabeshin 01-20-2007 10:32 AM

There may be pictures of this elsewhere, but I am interested in seeing more shots of your race MINI (interior, exterior, engine shots, as well as photos of the steps from stock to race). Besides, who doesnt like bragging about thier MINI?

J Propane 01-21-2007 09:03 AM

Actually, a lot of racers won't bragg about their cars. It`s kind of like trade secrets.

But for the good of the community, we will expose (most :) ) of our race build secrets in an upcoming release of our soon to be developped web-site. At least that`s the plan!

J Propane 01-21-2007 07:15 PM

With the first week-end at 15 lbs, last week at 7lbs, we were able to remove another couple of lbs. this week-end. So a grand total of approx. 24 lbs.

The pictures shows the stuff we removed over the last 2 week-ends. The hood latch, cables, a bunch of useless brackets, a few bolts chopped-off, etc.

That's where it will stay for another week.

Little_Emma 01-24-2007 11:17 AM

Good thing I took those snows off your hands, more room for all that wire!

Very impressive! :thumbsup: