North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   River City Minis (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/river-city-minis-146/)
-   -   Skyline Drive & Blueridge Pkwy... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/river-city-minis/61903-skyline-drive-and-blueridge-pkwy.html)

fred3 02-23-2006 11:26 AM

Skyline Drive & Blueridge Pkwy...

My wife and I will be driving the Skyline Drive from it's northern terminus all the way to the Blueridge Pkwy to Interstate 77. Would someone please be able to make a guesstimate on how long it would take? The Skyline is about 105miles long and the part of the Blueridge Pkwy we'll be traveling is about 200 miles long. I can get an approximate time for I81, but I realize the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Pkwy are quite twisty in comparison. Would someone know the speed limits?

Thank you.

StoopidGirl 02-23-2006 11:29 AM

I'm soo jealous (I'm from NC). I don't know about timing or speed limits but it is rediculously twisty. I do advise stopping to see some of the overlooks on the way. My favorite is Devil's Courthouse. It's a little hike after parking but the view is amazing. They say it's where the Devil would sit and look down on everyone making his judgements. MT.Piska has good cheap camping last I knew too.
Have fun

ZAKdog 02-23-2006 11:42 AM

If you're in the Mt. Pisgah area, there is a road west of the Pisgah Inn "Pride of the Parkway" that comes off the BR Pkwy and is a roller coaster ride! :eek2:

Another old logging road has switchbacks all the way down....I had a hard time hitting 30! Look for anything that has gates to close it down in case of snow!:grin:

Dolmangar 02-23-2006 12:30 PM

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that for most of the BRP, and Skyline Drive the speed limit is 35 or less. Depending on the day, you'll also have cyclist, and hikers around so that can slow you down at the overlooks, and going up hill, waiting for a safe place to pass.

Mike Shaw 08-22-2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by fred3 (Post 832409)
My wife and I will be driving the Skyline Drive from it's northern terminus all the way to the Blueridge Pkwy to Interstate 77. Would someone please be able to make a guesstimate on how long it would take? The Skyline is about 105miles long and the part of the Blueridge Pkwy we'll be traveling is about 200 miles long. I can get an approximate time for I81, but I realize the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Pkwy are quite twisty in comparison. Would someone know the speed limits?

Thank you.

I drive skyline at least once a month, its a great drive. it takes me about 4 to 5 hours for the 108 mile stretch, speed limit veries 25 or 35 in some parts, take a tent you can camp for $15.

Drama_Llama 08-29-2007 10:39 AM

There are small towns along the way that have really nice bed a breakfast type places to stay. Little Washington is awesome, and a few others...but if your fealing natural, the camping is awesome.