R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 First post and upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM
grey1995
1st Gear
Location: South Houston/College Station (home/school respectively)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post and upgrade questions

I just got my '13 Paceman S a few months back and like all maniacs I started looking at modifications. I've seen a lot of junk out there. I started off small and ordered a shorter antenna from M7 because the 16" is fine until you start noticing it... 😂

I was was thinking the next thing I'll do is get an exhaust upgrade. I have never heard the "pop and burble" that everyone loves so much and I wanna keep it that way. Has anyone done exhaust work that made the exhaust tone deeper? I've read about the Megan Racing axle-back and watched some videos but I would appreciate some feedback. I don't necessarily want louder, just a deeper sound. Any and all suggestions are appreciated (videos most of all)!

I was also curious if y'all had a recommendation on air filter upgrade? I saw the green filter and K&N drop ins. Does the stock engine benefit from these? If so, how? Sound? Power? Longevity? Or should I just go straight to an air intake upgrade? Just let me know!

My goal is to have a better sounding and running daily driver. Word of caution: if you make power claims I will need to see before and after dynos (science major sorry) Maybe once I graduate college I can look into dropping more serious performance upgrades on Ty.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats, we have several R61 customers even though they are rare.

For exh I would say stay cheap and just cut the resonator out and see what you think of that as you can change mufflers later for more money.

As for filters the dry filters are the ones we use and recommend as that way you don't get any oil in the MAF sensor, and they flow just as well if not better.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dry-pa...paceman-s.html

If you're looking for power an ECU tune will be the best bang for the buck and is as affordable as $400 to start.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...e-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Saw a Paceman in Charlotte yesterday while at the NASCAR HOF.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Just graduate from college, get a good job and work on the other stuff later. That's the advice I'd give my son who is in college now. Except the last question he asked me was should he start investing any excess cash now? I must have done something right with him.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 PM
grey1995
1st Gear
Sadly that good job is at least another 4 years away...I'm applying to medical school this next admissions cycle. Delayed gratification is all too real in most other aspects of my life... 😂
Smart momma (@minnie.the.moochee)! I started investing as a hobby when I was a pre-teen which is why I can get myself a few toys now (and working summers/weekends at the family business). Yay toys!

I've decided to get a custom grill made to improve airflow to my engine compartment because it's HOT here on the third coast. I also just really think it would look cool! I also visit my girlfriend who lives outside city limits regularly and was worried that the large gaps in the stock grill were letting rocks from the road hit my radiator/intercooler (honestly not sure which) as I've noticed a few dents in the fin structure. I know a guy who's gonna help me install it for a good price! Before and after pictures to come! And please keep sending suggestions!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a '13 Paceman and I deleted the second resonator and it made a huge difference in the tone. And like you, the sport button did nothing for the "Pop & Burbble". After the delete, the pop and burble came to life! I have a video posted here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-removed.html

remember, it's only a 4 cylinder so you're never going to get that deep throat V8 sound regardless of which muffler you try. I didn't want to spend $1,000 on something I may or may not like.

I did the ECU up-grade and highly recommend it. Completely changed the performance of the car. I have a JCW so my experience will be different than yours but don't waste your money on anything else. And definitely get the switch and Stage II if you go that route. You'll need the switch to put it back in OEM mode for inspections.

You didn't mention if you have a auto or manual, but I also added a stiffer engine mount: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rm-insert.html pretty cheap mod for a better overall feel.

I'm in the process of putting 18" rims on and getting rid of my 19's. Also going with a bigger tire - 245/50/R18. I need some slight modifications to remove the excessive camber (in my opinion) but it should be a cool look when I'm done.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
grey1995
1st Gear
How would you describe the improvement from the old engine mount to the new one? (@Markbett) When trying to corner hard (sometimes the parking lot is empty after late night work outs...) I've noticed that the car dips pretty hard. Would you think that a sway bar would help this or is a more aggressive spring system the route to go? I'd love to see before and after pictures with your new rims and wheels and how they compare to the old ones and your original 19" rims with RFT. Trying to get that perfect combo :P

Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Here's a photo of the new wheels and tires. I opted to stay with OEM rims, 5, 120mm with 52mm offset. Still at the shop, waiting for the new control arms. Front clears no problem, rears need to have 13mm spacers and new adjustable control arms (to remove all of the camber) I'll probably up-grade the sway bar since removing the camber does assist in countering body roll. But new 18" rims with 245/50/R18's look pretty good.

As far as the mount goes, I have a manual car so the stiffer mount made a huge difference, not sure how it effects an automatic.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
OK, so the rear tires rub a little on the plastic wheel well shroud when hitting aggressive bumps. I'll address with fender flares. But the overall ride and handling is a VAST improvement over OEM. SOOOO glad I did the up-grade.

I have come to realize that as much as people think they mod out their mini's on this forum, only a fraction actually do. I may be wrong but I read the same threads week after week and very few actually do anything. So finding resources and craftsman to preform the work that I want is extremely hard. For those of you in the Philadelphia area, PM me and I will give you the contacts that I use. It's not cheap, but it's done right!

Old 07-23-2017, 05:27 PM
grey1995
1st Gear
Well you know what they say about most people: "All hat and no cattle." 😂
Anyway I've been looking at some Konig 18" rims that I can't afford yet but I'll post up pictures when I get them! I'm thinking red rims next to the metallic black is gonna look sweet. 18s sound like the optimimum blend of aesthetic, performance, and comfort from what I've gathered. Car looks sweet!! I like the rims. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 07-23-2017, 05:31 PM
grey1995
1st Gear
And after my MCAT on Thursday I'm gonna get some metal to plastic epoxy and put on the custom grill that I ordered. Pics to come! Any recommendations on epoxy that works like a champ? I was recommended to use "amazing goop".