R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Savagetoast
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No crank no start

Hello everyone I have a All 4 S 2012 so little bit of back story I was driving my car to my parents house so they could watch my child while I go to work and when I was driving there my AC stopped working and my mini told me charging malfunction which I immediately thought this can't be good. I arrive to their house park the car and take my work van to work, after work I come back check to see what happens and my belt broke while I was driving. So I order a new belt replaced it today and went to start the car and nothing... No crank no click nothing just the fuel pump priming. So I thought maybe the battery is bad I try to jump start it and nothing same thing so I thought ok how about I push start it and sure enough it worked the car was on and everything seemed ok. I took it for a spin and when I got back turned it off and tired to start it again and nothing again. Checked the levels on the battery 11.98 after driving and I thought maybe the alternator is bad? So I try to push start again turned it on and then checked voltage while it was on and the battery was at 11.80v. now I know that means it's not charging the battery but what has me baffled is why isn't the car starting at all I even replaced the battery thinking that was it an no still nothing. I even smacked the starter to see if that worked and no nothing thought maybe its a fuse but I really didn't see a fuse or anything so I'm stuck and it sucks because this is my daily driver so if some one could please help I would appreciate it.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
when you turn on the car, everything works, right? like the radio, lights, window and such? if so, then at least we can tell everything behind the battery is getting voltage. Now in the engine compartment, there is a ground strap on the motor mount, not sure if you had to remove it to service the belt, but you can start there.

if the strap is attached, then try to look at the wiring attached to the started, perhaps when the belt went, it damaged something in its way.

The following users liked this post:
Savagetoast (07-05-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 AM
Parkay33
Neutral
SavageToast- Any update? I have very similar problem. Car died while driving. Bad alternator, and weak battery. Replaced both and now it won’t start. Mechanic also replaced corroded ground cables and he still can’t get it to start. It’s a 2012 CMS, with about 75k. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted by Savagetoast
Hello everyone I have a All 4 S 2012 so little bit of back story I was driving my car to my parents house so they could watch my child while I go to work and when I was driving there my AC stopped working and my mini told me charging malfunction which I immediately thought this can't be good. I arrive to their house park the car and take my work van to work, after work I come back check to see what happens and my belt broke while I was driving. So I order a new belt replaced it today and went to start the car and nothing... No crank no click nothing just the fuel pump priming. So I thought maybe the battery is bad I try to jump start it and nothing same thing so I thought ok how about I push start it and sure enough it worked the car was on and everything seemed ok. I took it for a spin and when I got back turned it off and tired to start it again and nothing again. Checked the levels on the battery 11.98 after driving and I thought maybe the alternator is bad? So I try to push start again turned it on and then checked voltage while it was on and the battery was at 11.80v. now I know that means it's not charging the battery but what has me baffled is why isn't the car starting at all I even replaced the battery thinking that was it an no still nothing. I even smacked the starter to see if that worked and no nothing thought maybe its a fuse but I really didn't see a fuse or anything so I'm stuck and it sucks because this is my daily driver so if some one could please help I would appreciate it.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Savagetoast
Neutral
Originally Posted by Parkay33
SavageToast- Any update? I have very similar problem. Car died while driving. Bad alternator, and weak battery. Replaced both and now it won’t start. Mechanic also replaced corroded ground cables and he still can’t get it to start. It’s a 2012 CMS, with about 75k. Very frustrating.
Yes I took it to Mini and they told me it was the CAS module. Tried looking for DIY fixes but it has to go through the dealer since they can only reprogram a new one