North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-r61-stock-problems-issues-357/)
-   -   Quick question on coolant system (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-r61-stock-problems-issues/338992-quick-question-on-coolant-system.html)

Weedahoe 05-17-2019 07:52 AM

Quick question on coolant system

I've been working off and on on my wife's many as time is permitted and we bought the car few months ago. The coolant thermostat housing was leaking so I replaced it and had to use the adapter for the new electrical connections on the thermostat housing. All of that is fine and connected. This is a 2012 Countryman with the turbo. It looks like the original coolant temperature sensor is located in a metal elbow that comes right after the plastic thermostat housing. So there are two electrical connections on the thermostat housing itself and both have two pins. there's a short rubber hose that comes off the thermostat housing coming towards the front of the car that goes into a metal elbow that has what looks like another two pin coolant temperature sensor. Originally when we got the car I never noticed that the coolant fan would run the key was turned off. However now it does. What I specifically mean is I can crank the car and let it run for 5 210 seconds and when I cut the engine off the coolant fan will be running still and will probably run for around a minute or two before it cuts off eventually. So what I would like to know is if this is normal and everybody else's many does it also or if I'm still chasing down what seems to be an electrical issue somewhere.

I guess my other question is what exactly are the two electrical sensors that are built into the aftermarket coolant thermostat housing that both have a 2 pin connector going to them?

My last question would be this, if those are coolant temperature sensors in the new aftermarket plastic thermostat housing (I and very sure the one on top by the bleed screw cap is a coolant temperature sensor) then what about the original coolant temperature sensor in the metal pipe? Is it still needed and is there electrical connection still needs to go to it?

Weedahoe 05-17-2019 05:40 PM

So at the time of this post this has been viewed 79 times and nobody knows if their engine coolant fan continues to run for a moment or two after the engine is cut off?

#IJS

dmath 05-17-2019 08:49 PM

The 2nd sensor on the new thermostat replaces the one on the metal elbow. There's a new hose that deletes the metal elbow.

Weedahoe 05-17-2019 08:56 PM

Thanks. That makes sense. Original I had the two sensors connected in the housing AND the one in the elbow but after going back through everything this morning, the one in the elbow is no longer connected and I'm hoping this resolves all of the issues I'm currently seeing.