R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Alternator not charging - charging system malfunction warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM
tway
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator not charging - charging system malfunction warning

So I have a 2012 Countryman base engine (also have a 2017 S) anyway I hadn’t used the 2012 for a couple months and battery got low. I recharged it and it seems fine. However after starting I got a charging system malfunction warning and the vehicle shed some load by killing the blower motor etc. I metered at the alternator output wire to battery and it was only battery voltage which was 12.5v or less as battery discharged. Back pin metered the single small wire going to the voltage regulator on the alternator and had like 6 volts. So pulled the rad support and replaced the alternator with a remy rebuilt unit. When I started the warning was gone, however the alternator doesn’t seem to be charging. When I meter the output wire it isn’t 14-16v it just seems to stay at battery voltage and slowly drop while car is running at 2000rpm with headlights on and AC. Blower fan was okay at first but then went to like a low speed even though on high. Back pin metered the small wire going into voltage regulator and there was 0 volts. Battery voltage dropped from about 12.5 volts to 11.4 while I was testing. No engine faults showed on my autel scanner/reader. Does anyone know what that wire going to the voltage regulator should read with the car running? Could I have lost my field winding charge in shipping? This car has that sensing system on the negative battery wiring as well which should be telling the DME/ECU what the battery voltage and temp is. I have a manual but it doesn’t say much on the charging system. If anyone has a wiring diagram or can give some info it would be appreciated.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 AM
All4vin
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tway
battery got low. I recharged it and it seems fine
You need to register your battery as if you had put in a new one. The battery sensor isn't playing nice with the recharged battery

Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM
tway
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borrowed a snapon scanner and registered battery as if new however didn’t fix the issue. I could see with snapon scanner that there was no specific IBS fault or DME fault. Did have 2 alternator faults stored 2E24 generator electrical fault and 2E34 generator machanical fault. Couldn’t find any more info on those codes. Suspecting the $400 rebuilt alternator is faulty.