R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2C57 low charging pressure and/or not plausible

Old 07-10-2018, 02:42 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Haven’t checked out the leak yet, but I did go out and play around with The Schwaben for a few. You can live stream data and log it too. You can customize what ones you want, like coolant temp (handy) and MAP pressure, as well as pressure after the throttle body and vacuum before. The only issue is that it reads in hectopascals (hPa) and the conversion is too much math to do in my head, especially when I’m driving, lol.
The google tells me that 1 hPa = 0.015 psi.
It can be done but it will take more brain power than I can sacrifice while driving.
Sooooo..... I have been checking out boost gauges, wow! By the time you buy a decent gauge, the adapter for the MAP sensor to add a vacuum port for it, and some way to mount the gauge.... you are beyond what it costs to just buy a scangauge 2. So I’m thinking I’ll probably just go ahead and order one of those up in the next few weeks or so. It seems like a better option, because it offeres multiple gauges and can do some other things as well.
Anybody have any other options they know about? I’m trying to figure this out. The Dash Commander app works pretty well actually. I’ve got it set so I can watch boost, coolant temp, intake/ambient air temp, MAP/MAF, and oil temp.
Really not too shabby for a free app and $10 dongle.
I just would like something a little more permanent that won’t kill my phone battery.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Wow, so I may need to replace that sooner than later, lol. I checked it out, and the pipe was torn under the hose clamp, like halfway around the thing. There was a good 1/8” gap there!
Hopefully my temporary fix will hold for a bit, until I figure out what way I’m going to go. Maybe a CAI? Who knows! Lol.
A bunch of epoxy and some pressure tape for good measure. Seems ok for now.
UPDATE: Well it seems to be pretty solid again now, but did nothing for the noise. I think I may possibly just be getting a little bit of the classic turbo whistle....not really sure because this is the first car I’ve owned with a turbo, and it didn’t make it before the swap, but that doesn’t mean much because I wasn’t making full boost before. And there are some different parts on there now like the DP and IC-pipe....hard to say, gauge doesn’t show any loss of boost pressure and the performance is great. Guess I just whistle now, lol.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 07-10-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added to post
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Darksideblues42
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Wow, so I may need to replace that sooner than later, lol. I checked it out, and the pipe was torn under the hose clamp, like halfway around the thing. There was a good 1/8” gap there!
Hopefully my temporary fix will hold for a bit, until I figure out what way I’m going to go. Maybe a CAI? Who knows! Lol.
A bunch of epoxy and some pressure tape for good measure. Seems ok for now.
UPDATE: Well it seems to be pretty solid again now, but did nothing for the noise. I think I may possibly just be getting a little bit of the classic turbo whistle....not really sure because this is the first car I’ve owned with a turbo, and it didn’t make it before the swap, but that doesn’t mean much because I wasn’t making full boost before. And there are some different parts on there now like the DP and IC-pipe....hard to say, gauge doesn’t show any loss of boost pressure and the performance is great. Guess I just whistle now, lol.
16-18 PSI normal peak, however, in sport mode, if I slam it down to the floor, my highest boost peak was 23.7 PSI.

The car frightens me a little now.

By the way, do you have the "Light Coffee" colored car too?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:22 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Darksideblues42
16-18 PSI normal peak, however, in sport mode, if I slam it down to the floor, my highest boost peak was 23.7 PSI.

The car frightens me a little now.

By the way, do you have the "Light Coffee" colored car too?
It sure is Light Coffee :-) yeah, mine was pulling like crazy! Still is, but after talking with MarioKart I adjusted it back more, down to the factory levels, because I’d be way overboosting when I get my tune if I don’t. Still pulls like mad though. The cool thing is that even at factory PSI level, you and I (you more than me with that 42) will still make more power than stock. Even at the same PSI, a bigger compressor on the turbo will move a larger volume of air. Still pulls great, but a bit less than when I had 17psi.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Darksideblues42
1st Gear
It happened again.

Low speed (40 ish) uphill slog in traffic.

Cleared code, no repeat.

Only thing left is the vacuum pump....

What are the odds??

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
No way! With the 42 on there? Damn! Hopefully it was just a fluke of some sort? Have you checked the boost controller or whatever it’s called?i think it’s somewhere under the intake manifold maybe? I’ll have to look into it to remember correctly. Wow what a PITA! I’m anxious to hear what you discover. Good luck man, we both went through kind of the same thing with our turbo’s, so I definitely feel for you. Keep me updated please. Good hunting!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
On a side note, I got Mario up here about a week and a half ago, so we met up and he did a stage 3 RPM tune on my Duncan. Holy crap! Completely different animal now! I thought it pulled after the turbo upgrade..... now I’m pushing around 22.5 PSI @ 5k and i can’t even put it into words! Just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl, lol. And the increase in boost along with adding a GFB DV+ has almost completely eliminated that funky hooting noise I was trying to locate. Very happy with the combo of the turbo and tune! When I did the turbo upgrade, I had absolutely no intention of getting a tune for a long while if ever. Then was only thinking stage 1. But a few phone calls with Mario and deciding that with the money I saved on labor, I could do the DP and tune and still come out less than just having the turbo replacement done at the shop. So a little self justification and I was on the phone with Mario. By the time we hung up an hour later.... I was getting stage 3 lmao! Made sense though, because of the turbo change and what not. And I thought about it afterwards and everyone I see who gets a stage 1 or 2 almost immediately starts talking about working towards the next stage up... so I’m just ahead of the game, ha ha! Did you get tuned?? Maybe that might help all the upgrades play well together? Just a thought. Keep us posted!
the other reason I’m asking about a tune is also why I turned my boost down to factory levels before the tune. I was looking at it kind of like a tuner box does... more boost = more power.... but more boost on stock map means even leaner AFR’s and pulled timing, or knock (yikes) so I didn’t wa t to increase the boost without adjusting other parameters with a remap to try to keep the motor happy and not grenade it! Lol

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 08-08-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Darksideblues42
1st Gear
On a side note, I got Mario up here about a week and a half ago, so we met up and he did a stage 3 RPM tune on my Duncan. Holy crap! Completely different animal now! I thought it pulled after the turbo upgrade..... now I’m pushing around 22.5 PSI @ 5k and i can’t even put it into words! Just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl, lol. And the increase in boost along with adding a GFB DV+ has almost completely eliminated that funky hooting noise I was trying to locate. Very happy with the combo of the turbo and tune! When I did the turbo upgrade, I had absolutely no intention of getting a tune for a long while if ever. Then was only thinking stage 1. But a few phone calls with Mario and deciding that with the money I saved on labor, I could do the DP and tune and still come out less than just having the turbo replacement done at the shop. So a little self justification and I was on the phone with Mario. By the time we hung up an hour later.... I was getting stage 3 lmao! Made sense though, because of the turbo change and what not. And I thought about it afterwards and everyone I see who gets a stage 1 or 2 almost immediately starts talking about working towards the next stage up... so I’m just ahead of the game, ha ha! Did you get tuned?? Maybe that might help all the upgrades play well together? Just a thought. Keep us posted!
the other reason I’m asking about a tune is also why I turned my boost down to factory levels before the tune. I was looking at it kind of like a tuner box does... more boost = more power.... but more boost on stock map means even leaner AFR’s and pulled timing, or knock (yikes) so I didn’t wa t to increase the boost without adjusting other parameters with a remap to try to keep the motor happy and not grenade it! Lol
Happened three times again today.

Same sort of deal as before. Long haul slog at 2200 ish RPM in cruise control, then goose the gas to climb a hill. It threw the code almost immediately.

Any ideas? Should I start pulling stuff apart again?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Jeez, what a PITA! I’m not sure at this point. That turbo is still a K03 isn’t it? Or is it a K04? How quick and at what rpm does it spool up? The only thing tha is coming to mind right at the moment, is that maybe the bigger turbo just doesn’t spool quite as quickly as the smaller factory one, and it’s expecting some boost under load that is just not there yet. Just an idea. Does it only do it under load, like trying to accelerate on the highway or go up a hill......again? Does downshifting before acclelerating keep it from happening? And finally...... I’m sure you would know already, but is there a chance that the turbo is faulty? You are making plenty of boost so I doubt it, but I’m just throwing crap out there to see what sticks, so to speak. Hmmmm.... maybe it’s something simple like just a little wastegate adjustment? We can hope. Good luck buddy, let me know what happens or if anything sounds plausible.

Edit: After thinking about it for a few, I’m thinking that spooling up probably isn’t the issue. I believe Mario had this same turbo on his R60 until just the other day, and I know a few others who have it and aren’t having the issue. That said, I believe they are all running a tune with it though. So maybe? I’m installing one for someone else this coming weekend, I’ll maybe have a better feel for it then, since mine is only 40mm. But that Countryman is tuned too. Sheesh.... that’s a real head scratcher ..... I’ll keep the hamster wheel in my skull going and see if I can think of anything else.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 09-03-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Darksideblues42
1st Gear
Downshifting prevents it. It spools pretty quickly, not quite as fast as the original, but still pretty quickly.

This is only happening if I do a long cruise at low RPM (2000-2500) then need more throttle to climb a hill or pass someone, or if traffic lets up.

Also, it seems I can get a tune now, Massachusetts "clarified" their regulations.

Next stop?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Wow.... I don’t know, but honestly, it sounds a lot like the wastegate symptoms that had us both replacing our turbos to begin with. How frustrating for you. My guess is that you are making boost, so probably not the problem but worth checking to eliminate it from the discussion. Can you check it with a vacuum pump? Are you losing any boost? Or does it hold strong? Maybe the issue is as simple as changing parameters with a tune, I don’t know. I guess I would double check the turbo and wastegate for proper function and adjustment on the wg. Then maybe the boost control solenoid?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Just wondering if you ever solved your low boost code issue? I’m hoping so. I installed Mariokart’s old 42mm turbo on a R60 a while back, and although it does spool a little later, it’s really not much. I liked it though! Got me thinking about going bigger, lol. A friend of mine just bought a CMS and they got that dang code last night. We’ll see how that one turns out, lol.
Hope all is now good to go.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darksideblues42
Happened three times again today.

Same sort of deal as before. Long haul slog at 2200 ish RPM in cruise control, then goose the gas to climb a hill. It threw the code almost immediately.
Did you ever figure this out? Now that it is cooling off around here I am ready to get this stupid problem fixed so we can sell this damn thing already!

I still do not believe it is related to the turbo, especially after all the testing that I did. The WG was completely closed and holding vacuum.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Nobody that replaced their turbo and had the 2C57 code come back can give me an update?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Sorry buddy, I don’t think I’m much help, the new turbo fixed it for me.
From the sounds of it, you just about replaced everything but the turbo. That’s probably where your problem has been all along. But it’s a tough one to figure out sometimes. Mine was finally diagnosed when I gave up and took it to a mechanic who then drove it hooked up to their computer and logged everything. Maybe you could use torque or dash command or some other way to monitor boost and drive it while watching what it does. Under load the ECU will call for a certain amount of boost to match, if it doesn’t see as much as it called for, it throws the code and limp mode. If you can see what it’s doing you may be able to tell what’s going on.
untuned going down the freeway, going up an incline when you tip your foot in just a bit to maintain speed, I was seeing it hit 10psi boost targets with hardly any throttle increase. If you are not seeing a decent amount of pressure under a load condition like that, you need a new turbo. The wastegate can be adjusted correctly and look like it’s sealing, even if it isn’t. Mine looked good visually and with a vacuum pump actuating it was good too. But it was toast just the same.
Try watching you boost levels for a bit, it may help you figure this out. Normal boost pressure on these is right about 11psi max with brief overboost up to about 15psi.
Good luck, I know that it’s frustrating! Hang in there. It took about 6 months to figure mine out, and that includes paying a couple of different mechanics too! Let us know how it goes and what kind of numbers you get

Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Dang wish we could get an update from anyone that’s replaced it but still had issues. I recently got identical issues on stock in my 2011 mcs. Long slight uphill at ~75mph. Added a bit more throttle and got half engine and 2c57. Haven’t had the car for long so unfortunately don’t know what it feels like with low boost pressure vs normal. Have no hope that I’m under the turbo extended warranty. Just really hope it’s not the wastegate. MrGrumpy, would you go with that same turbo again if you could do it all over? I wouldn’t mind some extra power in my turbo but most of all want reliability and ease of install (not requiring tons of aftermarket stuff)

Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zachary Nguyen
Dang wish we could get an update from anyone that’s replaced it but still had issues. I recently got identical issues on stock in my 2011 mcs. Long slight uphill at ~75mph. Added a bit more throttle and got half engine and 2c57. Haven’t had the car for long so unfortunately don’t know what it feels like with low boost pressure vs normal. Have no hope that I’m under the turbo extended warranty. Just really hope it’s not the wastegate. MrGrumpy, would you go with that same turbo again if you could do it all over? I wouldn’t mind some extra power in my turbo but most of all want reliability and ease of install (not requiring tons of aftermarket stuff)
Man I feel your pain! I still have not been able to bring myself to buying a turbo and swapping them out in fear that it won't fix anything, but I'm about to have to do something, we really need to sell this car asap. REALLY not looking forward to tearing the car apart that far... what a PITA to work on!

Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Sorry buddy, I don’t think I’m much help, the new turbo fixed it for me.
From the sounds of it, you just about replaced everything but the turbo. That’s probably where your problem has been all along. But it’s a tough one to figure out sometimes. Mine was finally diagnosed when I gave up and took it to a mechanic who then drove it hooked up to their computer and logged everything. Maybe you could use torque or dash command or some other way to monitor boost and drive it while watching what it does. Under load the ECU will call for a certain amount of boost to match, if it doesn’t see as much as it called for, it throws the code and limp mode. If you can see what it’s doing you may be able to tell what’s going on.
untuned going down the freeway, going up an incline when you tip your foot in just a bit to maintain speed, I was seeing it hit 10psi boost targets with hardly any throttle increase. If you are not seeing a decent amount of pressure under a load condition like that, you need a new turbo. The wastegate can be adjusted correctly and look like it’s sealing, even if it isn’t. Mine looked good visually and with a vacuum pump actuating it was good too. But it was toast just the same.
Try watching you boost levels for a bit, it may help you figure this out. Normal boost pressure on these is right about 11psi max with brief overboost up to about 15psi.
Good luck, I know that it’s frustrating! Hang in there. It took about 6 months to figure mine out, and that includes paying a couple of different mechanics too! Let us know how it goes and what kind of numbers you get
I just saw your reply. I was never notified of it for some reason.

Anyway, what you say makes perfect sense even though I don't understand why they have to make this damn thing so sensitive! If a bug farts near this car the check engine light comes on! Who cares what the boost level is under a light throttle condition... This was the first and will be the last German car we ever own!

I still can't believe they don't fix these under warranty!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:25 AM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mochanic
Man I feel your pain! I still have not been able to bring myself to buying a turbo and swapping them out in fear that it won't fix anything, but I'm about to have to do something, we really need to sell this car asap. REALLY not looking forward to tearing the car apart that far... what a PITA to work on!
I just had a smoke test done and an independent mechanic yesterday and they said I had a big leak coming from the valve cover. Im gonna change and that in a week or two and see if it solves the issue for me. Hopefully it’s not too difficult for me to do.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:27 AM
Mochanic
1st Gear
It's probably a torn diaphragm. You can check it yourself. VERY Carefully pry off the round cover (top left side when standing at front bumper) and you can see if that's what it is.
If so, you can buy one on Ebay for less than $25. It comes from Russia but it's exactly the same one as stock.

I replaced mine, but it did not fix the 2C57 code.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
It's probably a torn diaphragm. You can check it yourself. VERY Carefully pry off the round cover (top left side when standing at front bumper) and you can see if that's what it is.
If so, you can buy one on Ebay for less than $25. It comes from Russia but it's exactly the same one as stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_8MY8yKBs

I replaced mine, but it did not fix the 2C57 code.
Darn I saw this just after I ordered the whole valve cover lol. I did have a little oil leaking front side too (110k miles) so I’m telling myself the whole thing was due for replacement. These mini parts are killing me but I like the car too much

Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zachary Nguyen
Darn I saw this just after I ordered the whole valve cover lol. I did have a little oil leaking front side too (110k miles) so I’m telling myself the whole thing was due for replacement. These mini parts are killing me but I like the car too much
It being Saturday I doubt it shipped already. I'm pretty sure you could easily cancel. An oil leak is a super easy fix. Cheap gasket most likely...
If it were me I'd go pop the cover off and see if it's a torn diaphragm. If it is I'd definitely cancel the order cuz I know that's not a cheap part! (just like everything else on these stupid cars!)

Old 03-31-2019, 11:10 AM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
It being Saturday I doubt it shipped already. I'm pretty sure you could easily cancel. An oil leak is a super easy fix. Cheap gasket most likely...
If it were me I'd go pop the cover off and see if it's a torn diaphragm. If it is I'd definitely cancel the order cuz I know that's not a cheap part! (just like everything else on these stupid cars!)

would anyone happen to know if the valve cover leak can cause combustion misfires as well?

I’m getting the codes in the pictures and I’m wondering if I should just get new coils and spark plugs while I’m at it or wait til I’ve changed the valve cover related stuff, clear the codes, and see if anything comes back.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Mochanic
1st Gear
Been there too...
I replaced all 4 coil packs and put in NGK plugs and never had another misfire code.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 PM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Dang that’d be annoying to have to do all 4. I’ll probably clear the codes after the initial fix and see if they the misfires come back. In case they do, where do you recommend to get the coil pack and plugs? The genuine mini set seems pretty overpriced so I’m wondering if I can get oem coils cheaper elsewhere and maybe a step colder plugs just for the hell of it for my nm power module

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2C57 low charging pressure and/or not plausible