R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Turbo wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Well I wasn’t expecting to hear from anyone from MINI or BMW until at least tomorrow. So I was busy doing some stuff and noticed that I missed a call while my ringer was off. It was Ross for MINI, of course! Dang! He left a voicemail saying he was calling to give me some information. So I called back and of course, I got his voicemail. Left him a message ack, but I did tell him I will be very busy tomorrow, (have to go to Tacoma to meet with my attorney, not related to the car,lol) so I’ll be gone for over half the day and he may be better off calling back on Friday or Monday. We will see what this information is. I really doubt it them calling to say “we’ve changed our minds and will fix your car!”
But maybe they finally will give an answe as what they did differently that makes my car not covered. That’s what I really want to know! What if anything did they do different. But so far, they have been VERY unwilling to give that information!
its really simple too, they only have to say, “yes we stopped using part #X which is a (blank) and replaced it with new part #Y to remedy the issue”.
then I will verify that myself or call an attorney possibly, because it’s BS we have to pay for new turbo’s because of a design flaw that they may not have addressed on the N18’s during production.
I know I’m not the only one to have had, are having, or will have a turbo prematurely fail.
Good luck everyone, I really hope the majority of you don’t have to ever deal with this! It’s frustrating as hell, and ungodly expensive for what it is. Especially for WHY it is!
next update will be their response......or a pic of my new DP when it arrives :-)
It is entirely possible that they might decide to replace your turbo. If you have posted to the forum an accurate representation of your conversations with them, I am having a hard time figuring out why they would call you again just to say no one more time.

If they have decided to replace your turbo, should be easy to unload it here as a low mileage part to recoup some of your expenses.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
That would be great, I’m not holding my breath. I don’t know, the guy was supposed to call today, it was only a day early, but I was not expecting it at all we’ll see

Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
I wish I would have seen this earlier. I would really, really, REALLY strongly suggest that you do not use the CNT downpipe.

I bought a CNT Racing Catless Downpipe about a year ago and had nothing but problems. THe brackets on the downpipe did not line up with the mounting points. The gasket CNT supplies failed within a month and my have damaged my turbo. I replaced the gasket multiple times with OEM MINI gaskets. Every time the gaskets would start to leak and would then fail completely. Like, soot and exhaust all over the engine and under the hood failures. The downpipe is poorly made and I'm sure the mounting face was not flat. I'm now in the market for a turbo because I bought a cheap down pipe. 100% my fault.

I replaced the CNT with MarioKart's down pipe. It was worth the extra cost. It is a work of art and it is a shame that it is hidden away under the hood. If you are replacing your turbo, you really should get a quality downpipe. Don't make the mistake that I made. Contact MarioKart (@mqubed_motorsport on instagram) through the forum or instagram.

Edited to add: Like this POS screwed my turbo wastegate up so bad that I had to adjust the wastegate actuator 6mm (yes SIX mm) to get it to hold boost. 6mm is a lot of pre-load. The wastegate actuator should be at 14mm (+/-2mm). Mine is at 8mm. Like wtflol.

Last edited by scotty_r56s; 06-14-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: More info
Old 06-14-2018, 06:38 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Thanks for the personal experience with the DP. Wish you had seen it earlier too, lol. I did know there was some fit issues with the bracket, when I spoke to them I asked and they pointed me to the one I ordered and said that it fits much better. Now I don’t know about it. Well, if it looks like it doesn’t want to fit just right, I’ll just use a different one I suppose and return it. There’s nothing technically wrong with the OEM one, I just got a little carried away, lol. Worst case.... I’ll keep the old one on for a bit.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Thanks for the personal experience with the DP. Wish you had seen it earlier too, lol. I did know there was some fit issues with the bracket, when I spoke to them I asked and they pointed me to the one I ordered and said that it fits much better. Now I don’t know about it. Well, if it looks like it doesn’t want to fit just right, I’ll just use a different one I suppose and return it. There’s nothing technically wrong with the OEM one, I just got a little carried away, lol. Worst case.... I’ll keep the old one on for a bit.
No problem. I just added the following to my post:

Like this POS screwed my turbo wastegate up so bad that I had to adjust the wastegate actuator 6mm (yes SIX mm) to get it to hold boost. 6mm is a lot of pre-load. The wastegate actuator should be at 14mm (+/-2mm). Mine is at 8mm. Like wtflol.

I'd definitly return it and roll with the stock DP until you are ready to go catless. And when you are ready to catless, you'll probably want to get a larger intercooler and an ECU tune. It's a rabbit hole, but it is a hell of a lot of fun!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s

Like this POS screwed my turbo wastegate up so bad that I had to adjust the wastegate actuator 6mm (yes SIX mm) to get it to hold boost. 6mm is a lot of pre-load. The wastegate actuator should be at 14mm (+/-2mm). Mine is at 8mm. Like wtflol.

I'd definitly return it and roll with the stock DP until you are ready to go catless. And when you are ready to catless, you'll probably want to get a larger intercooler and an ECU tune. It's a rabbit hole, but it is a hell of a lot of fun!
I know right? I’m totally falling down that damn hole! Lol. That’s funny I just emailed Mario yesterday to ask a question about tuning. I see his name tossed around here a lot and it’s always good. I’ll have to shoot him another one and ask about his downpipes. The good thing is that nothing has been put on yet. I have it all in the packaging still, only been opened to verify contents and inspect the turbo. The DP is supposed to show up today, now I’m thinking about not even opening it. I appreciate the heads up! This is the kind of info I want! Thanks!!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Update:

Some days you just feel like slamming your head into the wall......Repeatedly!
Ross from Mini USA called back today.... to tell me that my VIN isn’t covered......ummmm....ok, that’s been established Ross. I started out very politely saying, I understand that, what I want to know is....and repeated the same question again about what they did to remedy the issue between the 2011 & 2012 model years.... his answer “your VIN isn’t covered”
me: “that’s not what I asked you” and repeated the question again, this went on again and again with his only response being about the VIN is not covered. I kept saying that’s not my question and asking again! Finally I asked “can you hear me ok? Because you are not answering the question I am asking!” He said “I hear you, and my answer is that your VIN is not covered”
I got pissed and told him that for a company who’s literature and website spout all about their great customer service, this playing stupid and refusing to answer a simple question is really crap customer service. He was such a Douche I am really mad now!
When I got home I had a response from the state attorney general and so I emailed them back and filled in the details of my last two conversations (if you can call them that), then I sent a message through MINIUSA’s website asking who I need to speak with to file a formal complaint against customer service reps.
not sure what to do next, but I’m pissed about that phone call! I will figure out who else I can bring this up to. I hope anybody on the fence reads this and decides to buy a different brand of car!
Really how hard is it to answer the question that I keep asking them?
If they did do something in production to fix the issue, why would they have any kind of problem with telling me what it is so I know why I’m not covered and that it’s not just arbitrary.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
A small cheer up

So I mentioned the other day that Wifey didn’t know about a few of the extras I ordered......well, a little while ago she came into the rooom I was in holding up my new DP, saying “What the heck is this and how much $ did you blow on it? Ha ha
I said it wasn’t all that much and besides by putting it on the car too, the warranty on the new turbo will get bumped an extra year (all true).
She shrugged and said “Okay, But it won’t be like, super loud will it?”
My wife rules!
I said “I don’t think it will make a ton of difference” (I honestly don’t know, lol)
She gave me the look that says “You are so full of crap” and walked away.
All while our 17yo son just sat there laughing, totally blowing it for me! Ha ha.
leave it to them to cheer me up!!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
My biggest issue (aside from arguing with MINIUSA) is finding the time to set aside to do it. I want to give myself plenty of time to do it, and deal with the inevitable problem that always seems to arise while I’m in there. Because I’m going to replace the oil filter housing gaskets while I’m in there, I know it will take a good while to do. I think I can knock it all out in a day but am going to give myself 2 just to be safe.
Im almost thinking about trying to do it this weekend and then just change the charge pipe when it gets here Monday. I’m just going to have a lot going on for the next several weeks, including taking my dog to Seattle for a cardiologist visit to make sure all is good to have surgery (he has a small heart murmur since he was born) then we have to take him to have his butt operated on! Lol.....I’m only kind of kidding! He has a hernia that needs repaired and they go in right there next to his anus....poor guy! Lol, he will then have to endure the cone-of-shame on top of it all! Lol!
Sorry, got a little sidetracked. So, yeah, busy.
so I’m trying to find the time to do it ASAP because even though downshifting has been a life saver, it still goes into limp-mode on me if I’m not right on top of the downshift. Then the engine has to clock and all that before it will clear, and stacking up 2C57 codes for low boost pressure is just driving me mad. With all of the driving I have to do in the next few weeks, I need to get it done.
On the plus side, thanks to downshifting before any inclines on the freeway, I made it 140 miles round trip today to Tacoma and back (with a stop by Northwest MINI for a new hat) all without a single incident! I was really surprised. I just expected I would have to pull off the freeway at least once each way to reset regular driving, because it’s a very hilly area, but The Little Cooper That Couldn’t actually did okay, although I’m not entirely sure if I’m reading it right or how accurate it is, but I have an OBD2 dongle and Dash Commander (only had it for a day and a half now) but using a boost gauge on it, it appears that I’m barely making any boost at all at this point, I don’t know what the PSI curve is like, but at 2500rpm it appears that I’m pushing barely 1psi of boost, and if I take it in 3rd gear (manual shifting an auto trans) up to 3500rpm it hits about 6psi then maintaining the same rpm, after hitting 6psi the gauge then starts going back down rather quickly. Shouldn’t it maintain around the same amount of boost until the engine rpms change? I could just have no clue how to properly read it, but it seems waaay low to me. I know the wastegate isn’t closing fully, but I thought it would still make a little more than that. If I’m not wrong, then I’m practically driving around in a Justa at the moment!

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s

Whoa 6mm that’s a lot. Mine was adjusted about 1.5mm

So I mentioned the other day that Wifey didn’t know about a few of the extras I ordered......well, a little while ago she came into the rooom I was in holding up my new DP, saying “What the heck is this and how much $ did you blow on it? Ha ha
I said it wasn’t all that much and besides by putting it on the car too, the warranty on the new turbo will get bumped an extra year (all true).
She shrugged and said “Okay, But it won’t be like, super loud will it?”
My wife rules!
I said “I don’t think it will make a ton of difference” (I honestly don’t know, lol)
She gave me the look that says “You are so full of crap” and walked away.
All while our 17yo son just sat there laughing, totally blowing it for me! Ha ha.
leave it to them to cheer me up!!
lol your going to be in so much trouble. While you are going to install the turbo and DP, you should send your ECU to Mario and get the Stage2 done and pick up some colder Spark plugs (before you ask NGK 1422 gapped at 6mm)

Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
Whoa 6mm that’s a lot. Mine was adjusted about 1.5mm

lol your going to be in so much trouble. While you are going to install the turbo and DP, you should send your ECU to Mario and get the Stage2 done and pick up some colder Spark plugs (before you ask NGK 1422 gapped at 6mm)
I really wish I could, but the cost is prohibitive at the moment, after buying the parts I e got already and then having to fork out $6K for my dogs surgery, I’m going to have to wait on the tune for bit. I did email Mario the other day though to ask him a question about tuning. He was super prompt at getting back to me and had some very helpful suggestions, so I’m pretty much positive that he’s who I will go through when I can finally do it.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Maybe it only affected a run of vehicles.
They might not want to admit that maybe a person on the assembly line was doing their job incorrectly. And extending the warranty on only those cars??
Or a batch of turbos were not delivered with the proper tolerances?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:29 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I have no idea, but I keep asking! And they keep calling me

Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well the downpipe from CNT arrived yesterday. I’m definitely keeping Scotty_R56’s experience in mind. It looks good! The welds are well done. I’ll just have to wait and see how it wants to fit, but they told me that it should not have the fit problem that some have had....only one way to really know... put it on and see!
If it doesn’t want to fit right, I simply won’t use it, and put the OEM one back on until I get a different one. I think it will be ok though, I will have to swap the OEM back on for emission testing anyway, but a few hours

work every 2 years seems pretty minor.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Help

hey there again, I had a pdf of torque specs for this dang car and now I cannot find it for the life of me, does anybody know of a site where I can find this again?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Help

hey there again, I had a pdf of torque specs for this dang car and now I cannot find it for the life of me, does anybody know of a site where I can find this again?

never mind, found it

Old 06-17-2018, 01:23 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well dang! I haven’t heard back yet since the last phone call, from MINI USA or from the attorney general, but last I heard, my complaint is filled and they are going to contact MINI. That’s what I know at the moment. Not much, lol.

And to top it off, my repair is delayed! That damn mechanic! Oh yeah..... it’s me...ha....Sorry, attempted humor. Turns out between Wifey, Dog, and myself, I have appointments the first 3 days of the coming week. Sooooo, now I have to delay it until Wednesday or Thursday. I would like to start Wednesday evening, but coming back home 35+ miles in traffic at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, it’s going to take a while before it’s cooled off enough to work on the turbo. So it’s probably going to be Thursday. If I wanted to try to knock it out and hope for no issues I could try it, but....nope! I want to take my time and since I’m doing the oil filter housing gaskets as well, I don’t know how long it will take me. If I wait until Thursday, then I’ll have 2 free days plus the weekend, so 4 total, although I really only think I need one.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well I got antsy yesterday and went out and threw on the new charge pipe from M7, ha ha. I was really surprised as I really didn’t expect much, but it make a pretty noticeable difference! Nice!
Now ive got 2 appointments today, one with my dr one for the dog, then this afternoon I can get everything ready and start either tonight or if it’s not cool enough, tomorrow morning.....wish me luck....when you hear from me again hopefully it will be to say I’m finished.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
An electric 3/8" ratchet made this job a whole lot easier. Didn't even have to put the front end into "service" position.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-2013
An electric 3/8" ratchet made this job a whole lot easier. Didn't even have to put the front end into "service" position.
Really? Hmmmm.... I’m intrigued. Unfortunately I think I will have to put it into the service position because I have large hands for one thing, and because I’m going to replace the oil filter housing gaskets too, I probably will need the room. But I figure I’ll start out and see, and if I need to put in on service position I will.
thanks for the tip!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, remove the turbo attached to the exhaust manifold as one unit. Much easier access and frees up room for large hand ;-)

Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-2013
Yeah, remove the turbo attached to the exhaust manifold as one unit. Much easier access and frees up room for large hand ;-)
Nice

Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Here we go

Well, here goes nothing!! About to start my ordeal :-)

Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Thanks for the help everyone..I’ll be back when it’s done

Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well I’ve got everything in and the oil leak fixed, just got the downpipe bolted up, but I ran out of daylight to finish putting it all back together. I will finish in the morning. Good thing I planned for 2 days. It’s tight in there! Lol

Quick Reply: Turbo wastegate