R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

transfer case on all4 s

Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep an ear out on mine.

Tim

Old 09-19-2015, 12:50 PM
wuwin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC replacement

Originally Posted by optophobia
Wow, with the new TC installed, its like night and day. Now my CM is quiet !
Just about to replace my TC only 26k miles. How is the car running after ur replacement any other problems?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:45 AM
minicountry
3rd Gear
Mine kaput about 30k including differentials. I owned the CM for less than a year, had to replace battery, motor mounts, water pump, thermostat, transfer case, differential, Nav malfunction..etc. Can't deal with it anymore and bought myself a Japanese. Love the CM though for the great handling and fun looking car, but the worst car I ever owned. My older Bimmer has less problems than this newer machine. Good luck, keep Mini ing!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:41 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wuwin
Just about to replace my TC only 26k miles. How is the car running after ur replacement any other problems?
No further problems with noise from the transfer case - at 60K now.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:11 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Just brought my car home from the dealer today after a misfire CEL and I'm noticing noise when downshifting and off the gas. The noise sounds whiny and grindy. Getting on the gas and it goes away. Only 34.5k miles.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Well, my noise has come and gone 3 times in the 3 weeks since it was at the dealer last. It's there now. They have been keeping it to try to hear the noise.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
raleighminidude
Neutral
Sounds like I have the same transfer case problem on my 2011. Unfortunately out of warranty. What should I expect the damage to be?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:03 PM
minicountry
3rd Gear
I had my previous 2011 TC and differential replaced, cost almost $9k Canadian parts and labor under warranty. Cross my fingers on my second CM

Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 PM
raleighminidude
Neutral
Just got off phone with mini. $3200 to replace transfer case. The interesting part is that they are blaming the fact that I've replaced a couple of tires one at a time (rather than in pairs). So the wheels have been turning at different rates leading to transfer case failure...

Unfortunately, those tire replacements were done at a different dealership (I moved) so I can't blame this place. (And to top it all off, those tire replacements were due to sidewall bulges in these awful Conti runflats!) Arghh!!!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Did you contact Mini to see if they will help you out due to the problem from other dealer?

Never knew of this problem, good to learn. http://www.holmanparts.com/wp-conten...ureMode_v2.pdf

Old 04-01-2016, 05:56 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raleighminidude
Just got off phone with mini. $3200 to replace transfer case. The interesting part is that they are blaming the fact that I've replaced a couple of tires one at a time (rather than in pairs). So the wheels have been turning at different rates leading to transfer case failure...

Unfortunately, those tire replacements were done at a different dealership (I moved) so I can't blame this place. (And to top it all off, those tire replacements were due to sidewall bulges in these awful Conti runflats!) Arghh!!!
The tire differences would have to be severe for that to even be a problem. Minor tread differences in depth should not matter.
If you ran one 17" and one 18" tire across from each other, I could buy their theory.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 PM
optophobia
Neutral
Transfer case noise AGAIN

After having my TC replaced along with my clutch at 41k I now have a noisy transfer case at 54k - 4,000 miles out of warranty . The fact that it sounds like my transfer case , which has only lasted 13k miles what are the odds Mini will pay for the repair?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
can we just deleted the TC and just run FWD. I can see the benefit on snow and climbing mountains, but the cost outweighs the benefit! After reading this, i might remove mine and put it on a 08 clubman for the fun of it!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 AM
eg3
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to identify a sound I have and worried that it can be the TC. I don't have any vibrations during turns or straight, none at all. I do have a very faint whine when I'm off the gas after 35-60 mph though. Any experiences on this?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Doubledee
Neutral
My transfer case went bad! 2012 Mini Cooper

Car at the shop as we speak, transfer case is bad and the insurance that I purchased is not putting in a New one, it’s coming out of another mini that was either totaled or retired, I was told, per policy of the company. Now concerned after reading all these. No options, but now I am worried! Yikes! Why hasn’t Mini recalled these!! Help mini of USA

Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 AM
SeveNx7
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doubledee
Car at the shop as we speak, transfer case is bad and the insurance that I purchased is not putting in a New one, it’s coming out of another mini that was either totaled or retired, I was told, per policy of the company. Now concerned after reading all these. No options, but now I am worried! Yikes! Why hasn’t Mini recalled these!! Help mini of USA
I'm worried as well. I was going to purchase an aftermarket warranty and then decided to just bank the money and pay for what happens. I'm terrified but I knew coming into it how expensive it can get, especially at 134k.

Is there any preventative maintenance for the tc or rear dif?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Doubledee
Neutral
Tc quote

Mini quoted me almost 4,000 to put it in, for parts &labor! Then the aftermarket insurance said they would only give 1,600 towards that or I could take my part they give me out of another car ! I wasn’t financially fit to put more money into my car after having had a repair just done 2months ago, that was not covered by the insurance due to fine print, and now front brakes need to be done at a quote of 550.00 at the mini dealer! Ugh! Think I got a lemon

Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Doubledee
Mini quoted me almost 4,000 to put it in, for parts &labor! Then the aftermarket insurance said they would only give 1,600 towards that or I could take my part they give me out of another car ! I wasn’t financially fit to put more money into my car after having had a repair just done 2months ago, that was not covered by the insurance due to fine print, and now front brakes need to be done at a quote of 550.00 at the mini dealer! Ugh! Think I got a lemon
brakes can be done at any shop for much less than that.

the TC needs maintenance like a transmission. there are seals and o rings you can buy for that.

it is unfortunate that these "insurance" companies steal ppl money and of course legally!

see how much a used one is worth and get a quote from a transmission shop to service it and another shop to install it. I know it's too much hassle, but maybe cheaper this way?

some literature:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...=transfer+case

Last edited by MiniToBe; 04-03-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 AM
All4vin
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Have these cars with transfer case issues had any previous service performed where perhaps the transfer case or even just the input shaft of the transfer case has been removed?

The transfer case holds very little fluid. I believe half liter. It also does not necessarily have a convenient way to fill it.

If say for instance... a common oil solenoid harness repair were performed where at minimum the input shaft of the transfer case be removed for access to repair, there will be a loss of fluid.

Due to the way its filled, and what could be percepted as a negligible loss of fluid (if not considering the very small 1/2 liter capacity) during the repair. Mix in a flat-rate dealership technician and well... there is potential that the car be returned to customer with low fluid leading to premature failure of the T-case.

This is just a thought I have had during maintenance of my own vehicle. 54k miles all4 with 6spd manual. My transfer case does not make any noise, i am also certain it is full of fluid (because I've done it myself) and it does not leak.

Last edited by All4vin; 04-03-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Doubledee
Neutral
T.s Issue

Well, so far it’s had the oil pump repaired when I first bought it! the fuel pump and the turbo went out with this last repair, and had the cylinder head gasket blow, and cover crack too! So that has been a lot in the last two year to absorb! Not to mention with this last repair of the T.case my c.vboot was ripped in the back rear that needed to be fixed!
Now im not rough road driving here! But how much must I go through before I say ENOUGH! Now the breaks are on the second go around on the front according too the mini dealership! Ugh!!!
Now I’m not a stupid women- but when a car sounds like a chain saw is running under your hood and noises that you’ve never heard or should hear are coming out of your car, it get too -do I still trust this, or have so many parts been changed it should be ok by now!!!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The customer isnt to blame, it's the service provider who sometimes takes advantage of people. The dealers should be THE last place you go to. I heard so many stories of dealers misdiagnosing an issue or through the most expensive option at the customer.

with that being said, you should always get the car checked by at least two different shops in addition to the dealer (if you must).

blowing a head gasket on an N18 engine is something I never heard of and it is definitely uncommon. the same for a cracked valve cover.

at any rate, have the car checked by another shop and dont waste time at the dealership. They will probably ask you to trade in your car for something they have on the floor!!!

where are you located?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM
bro_hof
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a used TC on Ebay for my 2012 S All 4 MT for around $750 delivered. Came out of a wrecked 2013 with around 13k miles. My TC was leaking and humming starting at around 75k miles. It was a bear but I installed it myself so I got out under 1k with parts only. It's a complete racket as there is no documented way to rebuild that I have found. Consequently, I sold my leaky bad TC on Ebay for $200, so I did get to recoup some money.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Jose Luis Quiroz H
Neutral
Transfer Case oil leak

Hy!, I`m new on the site and I joined because I have a Countryman S ALL4 AT 2013 with less than 40.000 Miles.

I`ve already had to change water pump, thermostat housing, turbo cooling line, and now I have this oil leak from the transfer case, just from the point where join the rear shaft.

From the guys that has the same issue, ¿it is only the seal that has to be changed, or something else?, ¿Is it needed to lower the TC or can be done with it installed?, after the repair ¿any new issues?

Here some pictures, thanks for your comments!

Attached Thumbnails transfer case on all4 s-img_6462.jpg   transfer case on all4 s-img_6463.jpg   transfer case on all4 s-img_6464.jpg   transfer case on all4 s-img_6465.jpg   transfer case on all4 s-img_6467.jpg  

transfer case on all4 s-img_6468.jpg  

Last edited by Jose Luis Quiroz H; 06-09-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 06-09-2018, 11:07 AM
bro_hof
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To my knowledge there is no rebuild kit available for these things so you’re stuck getting a new tc unfortunately. My drain plug was full of metal and that is what killed the main seal. I bought a used one on ebay for around 800, picked up a new driveshaft nut and a new transmission seal and did it myself, saved me around 2k. Got any hum or any weird noises?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
here are some info:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=27_0064
I used https://www.fcpeuro.com/ to get the parts. I just got stuck on that huge. how can that be removed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transfer case on all4 s