R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blacked out is definitely better than the tan under the chrome tape and is far better than the embarrassment from the peeling trim on an almost brand new car. These pieces don't even last a 2-weeks after replacement before they are peeled up again.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buddy lee
Looks nice... can you link to exactly what you bought or give exact name/model #??
also available at Outmotoring:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html

Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Sounds like this is a major issue. Cincinnati MINI was not suprised when I called thenm about it and said that the parts are already on order. A little [actually a lot] frustrating on a 34K vehicle.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
The issue is not about replacing the trim pieces. It is about replacing them with trim that won't fail again the next time it gets hot. A funny thing happened this week (actually, it's sad)
My car had failed three pieces of trim during the last heat wave, all on the drivers side, and drivers edge of the boot trim. During that time, I was parked with the drivers side to the sun during the hottest part of the day. Last week, I parked the other way around, with the passenger side to the sun. Now, I have a bad trim on the passenger side.

The fix has to be replacing all the trim with something that will not fail in the heat.

Mark

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
BrianRules2
Neutral
Talking Trim problems on all Countryman Models

To all, MINI is fully aware of the trim issues Countryman owners are having. The trim piece is, unlike the Cooper models, utilizing chrome tape that is giving way. Any dealership can replace the offending items at no cost to the owner. They may however may need to order the pieces and in turn set an appointment to re install.

We have had a few of these problems turn up from the port of entry (Baltimore and NJ) and have reported it to MINI of USA. Please be patient as from what I understand a permanent fix is in the works. Just hope it's utilizing real chromed metal verse tape!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM
SpringCityMINI
1st Gear
We had the trim around the rear of the hood replaced yesterday...but I don't expect it to last very long though. While walking around the lot, there wasn't a single CM that wasn't falling victim to the issue. Guess we'll wait and see what happens.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
I want to thank you guys for keeping us all up to date on this issue. My CM is only a couple of weeks old and garaged...no problems yet but I think that'll change when we drive to Fla in Sept. Suddenly not so excited about the trip....

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I am already seeing problems with the replacement pieces. I covered them with black vinyl and the chrome with the vinyl are both pulling away over a 1/8 inch so far. Im just gonna strip the chrome off and be done with it.. back to black.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know how the black stays. It may be something in the plastic and the chrome tape may be ok.

I have had mine since January and no peeling anywhere. I think it is a supplier problem with either the base plastic or the chrome tape.

Bill

Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
As reported, I has the two curved boot trim replaced. The passenger side is peeling again. WAH!! Grrrr.... :(

I wrote my MA and told him I was going to wait and see what MINI comes up with before replacing this part again. :(

Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Update from SA:

We received a bulletin today, here is what it said:

Due to an issue with the manufacturing process, several weeks of R60 production have been
affected with chrome foil that would shrink, peel or simply fall off the rear trim sections of the car.
The plant has been aggressively pursuing this and we hope to have good news soon. In addition,
our parts departments are eagerly awaiting these findings to that they can replenish the supply to
help your service and parts departments get solid replacement components in a timely fashion.
For more information on parts availability, contact the parts hotline and watch this space.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
NavyET
2nd Gear
It's not just the back pieces. The one above the bonnet it peeling on mine as well.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
jmola
Neutral
I had the failing belt line trim replaced today. The SA was unaware if the parts were temporary or permanent fixes. Replacing the rear left quarter panel and around the bonnet. The repairs were done quickly and look good. They will keep me updated when new information is available.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
kansasbob98
2nd Gear
Ready to set off for MITM with 3 failed trim pieces. Just occured in the past 2 days. First thought the boot section had been dented, but couldn't understand how since the car had been totally garaged since last Thursday. Closer inspection revealed the dreaded failure.

Last edited by kansasbob98; 08-01-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
bbruins1
1st Gear
Peeling at 300 miles, I guess I feel like part of the club now.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Just out of curiosity, what build date was your car, and has the trim issue impacted you? If the problem is actually in a 'bad batch' of trim pieces, we should see a limited time period of build dates where the problem occured. If it is a design issue, the problem would be more wide spread, and not restricted to a few build dates.

Mine was built May 5th.

Mark

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
bbruins1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
Just out of curiosity, what build date was your car, and has the trim issue impacted you? If the problem is actually in a 'bad batch' of trim pieces, we should see a limited time period of build dates where the problem occured. If it is a design issue, the problem would be more wide spread, and not restricted to a few build dates.

Mine was built May 5th.

Mark
Mark, I assume you were asking me, I will check the build date next time I go outside. My MA says that this is a known issue only with cars built in July; I bought the car in July so I doubt it was built in July and from this board it is obvious the problem is bigger than just cars built in July. He has welcomed me to drive 65 miles in to have the issue addressed, I asked him if that was for the temporary fix or the permanent fix...... still awaiting a response.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Actually, I would like to see how the entire population of Countryman owners have been impacted. A number of people have said they have not seen a problem. Others are seeing multiple, repeated problems. It would be interesting to see if there is a time period to the builds that would indicate a bad batch of trim was a possible cause.

Mark

Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
bbruins1
1st Gear
6/11

Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First week of April build.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Mine was a March build. The replacements I had installed failed also and they were installed in July.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Just thought id share .... Just got back from the mini dealer in naperville illinoise and their new arivals of over 15 countrymen all had failing strips on them right off the truck the sales people were all freaking out ..... hope they fix something soon.... This is when success goes to your head and you cost reduce to make even more profit and it bites you in the ***.... They went from metal overlay to a plastic film and this process has a hige fail rate and some engineer didn't do his homework when working with the supplier... Is bet its minis fault for cost reduction not the suppliers fault and minis trying to save face on this one.......

Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
That didn't take long:

So far, there are vehicle builds from March, April, May, and June, that have the defect. Additionally, new deliveries, and "new" replacement strips installed in July have failed. There is NO WAY this is related to a "bad Batch" of product from the vendor.

MINI simply screwed up the design.

Now, they need to fix it. Simply putting more of the same cr#p out in the field will not fix the problem.

If they do come up with a fix (like the usual 'metal over plastic' trim instead of cheap tape) they will need to replace all the trim on all the cars. I don't think the vehicle would look good a year or two from now with 1/2 the trim in tape, and 1/2 in metal.

Mark

Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Kalamazoo All4
2nd Gear
For what its worth, I have had my CM three months. Michigan has had record heat this summer , and as of today (knock on wood) I have seen no evidence of peeling.
Maybe the white color doesn't magnify the heat as other colors do. Is anyone having failing trim on a white one?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kalamazoo All4
For what its worth, I have had my CM three months. Michigan has had record heat this summer , and as of today (knock on wood) I have seen no evidence of peeling.
Maybe the white color doesn't magnify the heat as other colors do. Is anyone having failing trim on a white one?
Yep, I have a LW with peeling trim on the boot. It was already peeling when I took delivery.

Quick Reply: Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days