R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Countryman R60 Power Window Moves Incrementally

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:35 PM
jochummf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Countryman R60 Power Window Moves Incrementally

Hello all,
I'm having an odd problem with my front passenger side power window on my 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S with 63,000 miles. When I press or hold the window switch, the window will only move about one inch at a time. The window can be opened or closed by repeatedly pressing the switch about a dozen times.

From my research, I only saw one other person who had this exact same problem, but the post didn't have a resolution as to what the issue was or how it was corrected. It seems like the older generation Minis had a bunch of issues with erratic window behavior that could be fixed by a) resetting the motor by opening the window all the way and holding the button for an additional five seconds then closing the window and holding the button for an additional 5 seconds then repeating the procedure a second time, or b) taking the car to the dealer and having them reset the computer.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what my issue could be, and if not, should I expect to have to pay the dealer to perform the reset? Would it be risky to try to perform the up/down reset myself? I don't want to make the issue worse by getting the window stuck down. The car is out of warranty but it seems like this might be some sort of known issue and maybe could expect them to perform the service at no charge? Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking...

I had originally posted this in the R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) forum and received no replies. I probably should have placed it here, so I thought I'd try again so that I can put the car on the market soon.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:07 PM
Dwayne92
Neutral
Hi I’m having the exact same problem was wondering if you managed to get it sorted?

Old 12-13-2021, 11:19 PM
jochummf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dwayne92
Hi I’m having the exact same problem was wondering if you managed to get it sorted?
Im still living with the issue. I ended up speaking with the dealer and they told me that I needed to replace the whole power window mechanism, it wasn’t a software issue at all. I forget if they said if it was an issue with the motor or the track, but they come as an assembly so you have to replace both of them regardless. Take their word for whatever you think it’s worth…

Sorry I don’t have further insight to confirm the solution.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:14 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Your passenger side floor isn't wet is it?

BDC wet sometimes does odd things.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:35 AM
jochummf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by navwizard;[url=tel:4607836
4607836[/url]]Your passenger side floor isn't wet is it?

BDC wet sometimes does odd things.
is the BDC the same thing as the “footwell module”?

Last year I was changing the VANOS solenoid so I had to pull the power off the battery cables. When I finished and reconnected the battery, something blew and none of the lights or turn signals would work in the car and the car said that service was required. Long story short, it turns out there was a recall and Mini replaced the footwell module under warranty even though the car was 10 years old. I was hoping this might also repair the window, but alas it did not.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:10 PM
Cohnhead
1st Gear
Footwell warranty after 10 years? (10.9) 126K mileage

Hi, is it possible that Mini WILL replace the footwell module for free under warranty after 10 years? It sounds like they did for some of you. I have a 2013 Countryman and when my husband replaced the battery last week the windows, blinkers, interior lights stopped working.

It’s literally at the dealer right now to officially diagnose but they told me it’s not covered under Mini’s extended warranty because it’s 10 years and 9 months old, (but only 126K miles). Is it possible for a shop other than a dealer to fix this? I’m sure they’re going to charge around $2,000 (I’m near San Diego).