R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Passenger Side CV Shaft ALL4

Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 PM
vixay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Side CV Shaft ALL4

Hey Everyone! Just wondering if anyone has removed the right side cv shaft before. I'm in the process of replacing my clutch on the ALL4 MINI and got stuck on the rear transfer case nut and the passenger side cv shaft. I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything or if I need to loosen something before it can come out.

Here is what I have tried.
  • removed the 4 bolts for the CV shaft support and tried prying it with a pry bar. No luck
  • hammered said pry bar. No luck
  • made a custom cv shaft tool and tried to sledge hammer it out. Similar to a slide hammer.
    No luck
  • Next option is to get an actual slide hammer.
I'm really at a lost for words and have done many axle shafts before and never had an issue until now. The drivers side CV shaft came out with a simple prybar. If I get this CV shaft off then I can possibly remove the transfer case and the whole rear driveshaft so I can drop the subframe.

Also tips on the rear transfer case nut would be helpful as well. I managed to turn it half a revolution using my jack to turn the breaker bar but still no luck. I tried the torch and that didn't work either. Will try again with another person to help.

I'M LITERALLY STUCK ON THESE TWO THINGS! I can't drop the subframe and this is my last step before the transmission actually comes down. Any other ideas?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM
All4vin
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes I have been in your situation. The CV clips are a bit tighter on these cars than most. I too have done maybe 100 of these on various cars over my lifetime.

Order a OTC7507 from amazon and screw it to a slide hammer. It will come out the first or second try. The prybar didnt work for me either because the shaft needs to come straight out.

Also... remove the input shaft out of the transfer case before you remove.