R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

how to meter alternator output

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 AM
tway
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to meter alternator output

Does anyone know what pins on the alternator to meter for output to see if it is putting out the correct voltage when running.
2012 mini countryman base 1.6L 150 amp alternator.
should be the same alternator from 2008 up on a bunch of the mini's.
I have a charging malfunction message and the battery is discharging. I can charge battery and it holds it charge, so wanted to check the alternator before taking it to a mini dealer.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:14 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Just a volt meter connected to the power outlet in the car will give you the information you want. My voltmeter reads 14.6 volts, give or take a couple of tenths, when idling.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:11 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Or use a volt meter at the battery posts to ensure the battery is getting sufficient voltage to replenish it after engine start. Check this right after engine start but again after the car has been driven a while.

My limited experience -- just recently -- is a "bad" alterator can supply what looks to be sufficient voltage at least for a while. But in this car's case -- not my new Mini! -- after 30 minutes the alterator's output dropped quite drastically to the point it appeared the battery was supplying the electricity to run the engin and meet the rest of the car's electricity needs.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:40 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
..just DONT try to read amperage.. everything will be fine

Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 AM
tway
1st Gear
I've done the basic test at the battery and the voltage doesn't increase to indicate the alternator is charging.
I pretty much knew it wasn't charging anyway given that the battery would drain if you left the car running. I could see that on the scan tool I have. charging.
However I still wanted to meter the output of the alternator to make sure it is not putting out the proper voltage as I assume the motor control unit could cause the charge system not to function.
Didn't want to just drop off at mini and have them change an alternator at $1000 plus dollars and then find out that wasn't the actual problem. Plus I can change an alternator myself, just don't want to buy a new one at the cost around here 500-600 to find out the old one is okay.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I normally just read it off the ECU with the Scanguage, or our computer as it will show the voltage and like you already showed it doesn't increase when you start the car so that tells me it is dead.
Be sure to check the alternator as we have seen both 120amp and 150amp alternators on these cars based on options and production. Need to look at the label on your alternator to make sure you get the correct one.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/altern...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
tway
1st Gear
okay so I took off the exhaust heat shield to gain access to the electrical connections on the alternator and I found that this is a 2 wire alternator. Of course the big wire goes to the battery. That connection looked fine on both ends and it metered continuity when all disconnected. The second small wire goes into what I assume is the voltage regulator attached to the back of the alternator. From searching around on google about alternators it seems this wire should have a voltage on it to tell the alternator to output voltage to charge the battery.

if anyone knows for sure let me know.

Plan to do continue troubleshooting tonight. I'll meter the diodes in the alternator, that small wire to see if it has voltage present when the car is running, and actual ouput voltage on the big stud of the alternator.

definitely doesn't look like fun to remove that alternator, if I end up having to do that.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 AM
tway
1st Gear
so just an update.
I unhooked the large battery cable from the alternator and unhooked the single wire connector going into the voltage regulator.
I metered the diodes in the alternator by going from the battery cable stud on the alternator to the case. one way the reading was open and switching the leads around gave me some conductivity. Normal for a diode and my meter has a diode function so it beeps as well.
I kept the lead from the alternator to the battery disconnected and made sure it couldn't ground out. Started the car and found I had about 8v DC on the wire going to the voltage regulator.
So I shut the car off, unhooked the battery, plugged the wire back into the voltage regulator on the alternator, hooked battery back up. Started car and checked output voltage on the big stud on the alternator. No voltage. So alternator wasn't working.
I did notice with the main wire from alternator to battery disconnected no warning was displayed in the car when the car was running. As soon as I hooked the that big battery lead wire to the alternator and started the car. I got the warning again. I also did double check with everything hooked up that voltage across the battery was only 11.89 volts DC rather than what it should be 14.5 V DC if being charged.
So guess I'll be getting an alternator once I figure out which amperage I have.
Guess maybe I'll start a new thread to see if anyone knows if you can put the countryman radiator into service position like the R56 because it is some tight spot.