R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Green Coolant??!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 AM
Jas98
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Coolant??!

hello!
I had my thermostat replaced last year at the dealer. They drained some coolant out and replaced it. I assumed since the dealer did the job that everything will be “OEM”...apparently not. I was surprised today when I checked my car’s coolant level that the coolant was green, almost like lime green. Not even bluish green. I did my research and BMW-Mini use their “blue” coolant. I called them back and, of course, denied any mistake. Has anyone experienced this kind of a problem before? I have spoken with the SA and service manager and all but no clarity on the matter. Very disappointed. Engine seems to run ok. No problem so far but I’m worried they “used” a coolant that’s not specific for my car that might have long term effects.
Any advice on what to do now?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
The one thing that they can jold against you is it was last year you had this done and now mentioned it ?

If you are this concern, (I would be), and not knowing what is really in there, I'd change it and know what is actually there. It 'might be' fine, but if it 'might be', it could 'might not be' also. And the cost isn't that much.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Jas98
1st Gear
Anoldbiker,
True. I thought about that too that it’s been a year or so but then who actually checks the color of the fluid after a dealer job or service? (Maybe everyone but me&#128556. Plus, it’s actually hard to tell by just looking at it without extracting the fluid from the reservoir tank. It just so happen I was doing an oil change the other day and upon moving the tank some coolant escaped from the connection hosewhich led me to the discovery of the fluid’s color.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Things happen and you think you can trust the dealership, but they are doing things to make more profit also. I don't know the color of the fluid you need, but I'd change it anyway. When it comes to things like oil changes, coolant changes and such, I do my own and keep the receipts for proof. (and an electronic copy of them). This way I know I'm happy. Yes, I'm hard to please.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Jas98
1st Gear
I was just actually looking for whatever bmw-Mini use as their coolant OEM. It’s blue across the board so when I found green fluid circulating in my cooling system I got concerned. I understand they also want to make a buck or two but to cheap out or substitute to a probably mediocre product to have a profit is just wrong. At any rate, I’ll take your advice and drain my fluid and fill it up with the correct fluid for my MC.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It is the mixing of different kinds of coolant that create problems. Not sure if just having the green will cause any problems as long as they fully flushed the system. If you drain, make sure nothing is left over or you might make it worse.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Jas98
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
It is the mixing of different kinds of coolant that create problems. Not sure if just having the green will cause any problems as long as they fully flushed the system. If you drain, make sure nothing is left over or you might make it worse.
You’re right, it’s the mixing of fluids that create problems.
I spoke with the service manager at the same Mini dealer and told me that they will do it for me basically (from what I understand) for free.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 PM
EG Country Boy
Neutral
I just purchased coolant for my mini while it was in the shop for t-stat housing and water pump replacement and the correct coolant should be blue in color. I had a specialty shop working on my car but had to go to the BMW dealership to find the coolant. I had been topping off my coolant with the Peak Long Life which according to some posts was ok but my mechanic said I should go back with the special formulated BMW coolant.

I just got my car back today and unfortunately it may have to go back to the shop because has a slight leak somewhere but I can't see where it is coming from without having the car up in the air.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 AM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Lots of threads on lots of forums on the dangers or mixing coolants. "It will turn to jello" or "It will destroy your engine", ok any pictures of coolant jello????

Been around the block a few times and have a good understanding of chemistry from seven years in the pharmaceutical industry. The biggest issue with a coolant is the construction of the radiator. A copper-brass radiator has soldered connections and the organic acids in a a long life coolant is the main issue as it will impact the solder.

The rust inhibitors are the real important portions and I have yet to see any proof that at the concentrations the inhibitors are that mixing them create some compound that will turn the other 99% of the mix to jello, or, create a compound that will seize the engine up.

So, in the words of that famous American, "where's the beef", in this case jello? (A MINI handles much better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idnwh6iDnXA

Old 12-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/n...erent-colours/

There are historical reasons why coolant/antifreeze comes in different colours – the colours related to what the product was made from. These days different brands use different colours for coolant and it doesn’t necessarily tell you all that much about what’s in your car, so using a product like Prestone which is guaranteed to mix with any colour of coolant/antifreeze is the safe way to top up.

Read on for more detailed information and tips.

I've been topping off my MINIs (and those of friends who come to me for help) with Prestone since 2002 and have never had a problem. It is what I use in the 79 as well ....