R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Stumble when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gratuitous
Having dealt with this issue since March of 2011 when we took delivery of our car, I am happy to report that "SI MI2 02 11" finally provided with our local dealership with the reference required for them to get the correct software update installed in our Countryman S All4. The engine and transmission behave so much better now. It's like driving a different car. It drives so much smoother. There's no hint of hesitation or stumble anymore. No jerkiness as you come off the throttle to decelerate. As an added bonus, it seems that gas mileage has improved as well by about 10%. Amazing! I knew that this would eventually come down to a programming issue, but I didn't have the patience or time to be a guinea pig. I thank all of you who were patient enough to be that guinea pig for me. I am a much happier Mini owner.

Cheers,
Grat
congrats!! I feel also that I have a new car after tahe new software! the engine becames more "round" ( i don't know if you employes this word for a pleasant to drive engine).

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
So I've complained on here a few times about the stumbling and I finally got to the dealer. They came out and told me it would be 30 mins and I'd be out. 45 mins later he comes out and says its telling them the reprogramming will take 3-4 hours. Its downloading slow from Mini. He offers me a loaner car and said they will bring me my car when its done later tonight (I live 50 mins away). They also replaced all the chrome trim pieces. Most had failed.
So barring any issues with the download/ reprogramming I should be back on the happy customer list...

Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
roathd
1st Gear
Wink Mini Software Update

Having dealt with this issue since March of 2011 when we took delivery of our car, I am happy to report that "SI MI2 02 11" finally provided with our local dealership with the reference required for them to get the correct software update installed in our Countryman S All4. The engine and transmission behave so much better now. It's like driving a different car. It drives so much smoother. There's no hint of hesitation or stumble anymore. No jerkiness as you come off the throttle to decelerate. As an added bonus, it seems that gas mileage has improved as well by about 10%. Amazing! I knew that this would eventually come down to a programming issue, but I didn't have the patience or time to be a guinea pig. I thank all of you who were patient enough to be that guinea pig for me. I am a much happier Mini owner.

Cheers,
Grat
How do you check to see if you have the latest update?

Dr

Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
brentford
Neutral
Unhappy Stumpling issues

I am also having stumbling issues on my Countryman which I less then 3 months old. I have also had the thermostat fail and a left indicator bulb fail. I amslo have a buzzing noise and a clicking noise coming from the engine. I also have a problem when going round a corner - it is like the car wants to go sideways.

My new car sounds like a diesel tank and to be honest I am sick of these faults on a car so young. It goes in for service tomorrow for these faults and I think I will ask them to check the fuel pump, flash the ECU and re set the transmission computer. But the sumpbling they say there is nothing wrong with the car - yet it snaps back and stutters when I really need the power.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
gratuitous
Neutral
Originally Posted by roathd
How do you check to see if you have the latest update?

Dr
The Mini Service department performed the version check after I gave them the reference number "SI MI2 02 11", and told me that the update applied to my vehicle.

As far as the slow re-programming time, I've heard that this is due to the face that after a programming update the computer in the car goes out to each device on the car's internal network and performs various checks and adjustments to those devices. Still, I can re-install Windows OS on my laptop in less then 3 hours, so I'm not sure why this procedure takes so long. The size of the wiring harness must have something to do with it. Maybe the devices are chatty and just want to sit and talk about the weather before getting down to business. Who knows...

Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
{snip}...Still, I can re-install Windows OS on my laptop in less then 3 hours, so I'm not sure why this procedure takes so long. ...{snip}
Well, imagine loading an OS on 20+ computers; that's essentially what happens. The new MINIs have multiple control modules (20+), each of which is a little computer. When one or several of those modules needs its code (OS) updated, the update is performed and then the whole interconnected system needs to be reset.

HTH,

Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
spell
1st Gear
Good luck. My firmware upgrade took 11 days (yes. ELEVEN.) It failed many times. Required a few PUMA incidents and ultimately a new radio.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM
eggmole
2nd Gear
I am having the same issue, got an appointment with the Dealer on monday. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Can anyone say whether this stumbling affects 2012 models as well? I wonder if I should just ask my dealer to check that code before I even pick up the car next week to see if it needs the update...

Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guys isnt this stumbling followed by 1 or 2 big bangs like small explosions? cause mine does! and stumbling only takes a fraction of a second but happens at high revs, somewhere over 4000-5000rpms

ooups sorry i have a cooperS and not a countryman!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
eggmole
2nd Gear
So i brought in my car to get this issue checked out but they were unable to reproduce it. The service person stated that without it throwing a code that Mini service would not pay to check for system upgrades or anything. He says it is recorded and a paper trail is there so if it happens again let him know.

My qiestoion would be for those that have suffered from this issue.

1. Did you CM give you a warning or throw anyt codes?
2. I did notitce that in the description some of you posted the DM error. Did thid error show up orwas it only apparent when the Service scanned it?

Just trying to figure this out without having to got to the dealer too many times.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Did you mention the Bulletin SI M12 02 11 ? It relates to that exact issue. My SA didn't know about it either until I asked him to look for it. No codes or visual warnings given by my countryman other than me dealing with hesitation/stumbling and only at certain times…worse when colder out and no extra popping afterwards. Since my vehicle was in for other services…they performed the updates… It's been running better than ever! Speaking of popping…I have very little or none since the update…to bad I enjoyed it.
VIP exhaust soon to be ordered…better sounds on the way!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flyer53
Did you mention the Bulletin SI M12 02 11 ? It relates to that exact issue. My SA didn't know about it either until I asked him to look for it. No codes or visual warnings given by my countryman other than me dealing with hesitation/stumbling and only at certain times…worse when colder out and no extra popping afterwards. Since my vehicle was in for other services…they performed the updates… It's been running better than ever! Speaking of popping…I have very little or none since the update…to bad I enjoyed it...
My CM4 was in for its first service and I had previously inquired about the several occasions when I had the stumbling (no codes). My SA told me there was an update that addresses the problem and we scheduled a later install. I dropped the car off yesterday (zipping out in my S loaner) and the update was completed in about 4 hours. The result is smoother operation in all modes.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM
gratuitous
Neutral
Check it out. A Motortrend Magazine journalist reports experiencing the stumble.

http://wot.motortrend.com/our-cars-p...li-202179.html

Having received the software update on our 2011 four months ago, I can tell you that, though the issue happens infrequently, the stumble still occurs every once in a while. It is not as violent when it occurs though.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Our CMSA4 had the violent stumbling.
They performed an update about a month ago and then a week and a half ago it did it again although less violent more stalling like, while my wife was driving us into the city. It was the last straw for me.

In addition to the thermostat problem many have complained of, ours has now been replaced twice with the same part#, not sure if it is the same part.

I have filed for relief under the Lemon Law in my state.

They've had the car for another 5 days now bringing the total to 20 days in the shop.

Corporate contacted my dealer who have been okay in this process and seem to realize the frustation this has caused. They are now trying to upgrade us into a new vehicle. I'm not sure how this will play out? Not even sure if I want the same car anymore cause of my concerns with our new baby and the reliability issues and stumbling problems.

I haven't mentioned the elephant in the room but have any of you seen anywhere near 26 miles per gallon? We traveled cross country thru Ohio, pretty flat and stayed around 71mph cause of the State troopers. Best MPG for the entire trip was 25.1 all highway. My average is 24.6 almost ever time I check, and I do my own numbers cause I don't trust the computer.

I think they've duped us all on the fuel economy of this car. Unless you guys can attest otherwise I'm really doubting any efficiency regardless of how or where this car is driven.

I'll keep you all up to date as this progresses but I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not alone. Maybe it's why they want to "switch" out our car? I wonder what they would do with the old one?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
That's terrible.

I avg 28 mpg with a heavy foot, get over 30 on the hwy and gave gotten 36 on my work commute (25 miles, 24.5 on the fwy)

Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
After the firmware update they actually made a note on the service report saying that they believed this would help with the fuel mileage. We've put about 16k on the car and have seen 23 to 25.1 max.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
DR61
5th Gear
The average speed of the EPA highway mileage test is 55 mph. You can see fuel economy data for at least 25 CM's here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mini/countryman

Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Show me a 55 mph zone. Most interstates are 70 and we drive 7 miles to and from work daily. 5 of those miles are between 60 and 70 mph depending on traffic flow.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DR61
The average speed of the EPA highway mileage test is 55 mph. You can see fuel economy data for at least 25 CM's here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mini/countryman
Correction: the average speed of both EPA highway and high speed tests is 48 mph. The base test reaches 60 mph max, and the high speed test reaches 80 mph but briefly. Both highway and high speed test use a warmed up engine. The city and cold weather tests start with a cold engine. You can see the test information here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

The point of the tests is not to predict your mileage, but to allow you to compare among vehicle models using a single standard.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Knownman
Show me a 55 mph zone. Most interstates are 70 and we drive 7 miles to and from work daily. 5 of those miles are between 60 and 70 mph depending on traffic flow.
Come to the DC Metro region. Some of our "freeways" are 40 mph. Most are 55.

I still get 25 mpg.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Papero
Neutral
The same old story

Originally Posted by Papero
Thanks Joan, the only result by remapping i have is that the minimun is irregular and the start/stop works no more.... But i've just an appointment with BMW assistance next week!!!
p.s.. i'm already member of motortribe...thanks a lot
Hi guys, after those months nothing has changed, I have visited BMW assistance three times more, in april, finally, the engine light has enlighted and I tought this was the solution of the problem, but it didn't.
They changed the TANK VENTILATION VALVE and it resolved the problem of irregular minimum. But the car continue to jerk in acceleration...
The last time they blamed the fuel poor quality. They suggested me the use of an additive for gazoline. I used this but without results. I'm waiting for a new recovery....

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Knownman
After the firmware update they actually made a note on the service report saying that they believed this would help with the fuel mileage. We've put about 16k on the car and have seen 23 to 25.1 max.
After getting Fenton reprogrammed, I immediately noticed the gas mileage had taken a hit. What was about 28 trip was down to 25. It took a couple of weeks before I saw 30 on the road again. It's still not up to where it was before the upgrade, but then I don't have stumbling on hard acceleration either. I'm hoping the mileage wanders back up toward 33 on the highway soon.

Quick Reply: Stumble when accelerating?