R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Stumble when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar stumble (two previous for me) this week driving slowly through a parking lot, but this time at low speed. I'd pushed in the clutch and was just letting it out at below 2k RPM when the engine stumbled then recovered - quite a surprise and nothing like the usual clutch issues. I couldn't reproduce it on retry.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
RobBohn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow DME software needs update: SI MI2 02 11

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Found SIM 12 02 11 that states this concern is due to a software error in the DME.
I have a 2011 All4 with 10,000 miles that stumbled unpredictably. Took it in, Service Advisor suspected fuel pump, but they kept it overnight and they ended up saying it was a software error - same as yours. Below is from my receipt:

DME SOFTWARE ERROR
CONNECTED CAR TO ISID. FOUND NO FAULTS IN DME. FOUND DME
SOFTWARE NOT UP TO DATE. PROGRAMMED CAR PER SI MI2 02 11.

So, it now drives better but have only had it for a few hours - feels somewhat different on hard and easy acceleration but cannot pin it down to what is different. Was treated well by service crew, including free loaner.

Last edited by RobBohn; 11-09-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: (added year and mileage)
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Add me to the list. I have 10,300 miles and today was the first it has happened. Happened when pulling out of a side street onto main road. Felt like brakes slammed on and through me forward.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RobBohn
I have a 2011 All4 with 10,000 miles that stumbled unpredictably. Took it in, Service Advisor suspected fuel pump, but they kept it overnight and they ended up saying it was a software error - same as yours. Below is from my receipt:

DME SOFTWARE ERROR
CONNECTED CAR TO ISID. FOUND NO FAULTS IN DME. FOUND DME
SOFTWARE NOT UP TO DATE. PROGRAMMED CAR PER SI MI2 02 11.

So, it now drives better but have only had it for a few hours - feels somewhat different on hard and easy acceleration but cannot pin it down to what is different. Was treated well by service crew, including free loaner.
As you know I have a 2011 S All4 and After doing the same stumbling for the third time I took it to service on 1st of November and they said MINI Germany accepts there is a problem of stumbling while acceleration occuring in many cars and now they developed a completely new software called PUMA (which I dont know what it means) but when they loaded the new software old version of monitor crashed so they installed a new version of the monitor. I drove it for 200miles now and it did not happen, but I can not be sure of course it happens randomly. Pls consult your dealer and tell them there is a new software so they will replace it free of charge and also gave me a free loaner too

Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 AM
RobBohn
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by ALIENLOVE
As you know I have a 2011 S All4 and After doing the same stumbling for the third time I took it to service on 1st of November and they said MINI Germany accepts there is a problem of stumbling while acceleration occuring in many cars and now they developed a completely new software called PUMA (which I dont know what it means) but when they loaded the new software old version of monitor crashed so they installed a new version of the monitor. I drove it for 200miles now and it did not happen, but I can not be sure of course it happens randomly. Pls consult your dealer and tell them there is a new software so they will replace it free of charge and also gave me a free loaner too
I've driven more than 1500 miles since the fix, and I've not had the issue since. Woohoo!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
@Robbohn congrats! I hope it never does because I love my car

Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Quebecker
3rd Gear
Holy huge stumble BATMAN!!!

My car ALL4 with 15,000km's had stumbled once before on overtaking, just one little hiccup, a bit disconcerting, but not a biggy.

Then today I was following another car doing 90km, I wanted to overtake and there was another car behind me preparing to do the same. All good. As we hit the overtaking spot (small country roads, not highway) I indicated,pulled out and hit the gas. The mini them stumbled about 8 times in a row. It totally freaked my son out (19) he thought I was messing about on purpose to scare him (really?). The car behind me almost rammed into me and I was totally freaked out. I am not a nervous driver at all, and I put mega miles on my cars. But holy crap this was dangerous!

Will call the dealer on MOnday morning.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
rewdpost
2nd Gear
I'm carefully watching a few of these threads now.
A couple of mornings now after having my CM sitting in the garage I've had a stumble at VERY low speed backing out of the garage. It's happened a few times on cold mornings, but I can't completely reproduce it with any regularity. Until I get some specific conditions that can consistently cause this problem I don't want to take it in to the dealer. Maybe if it becomes a regular thing or I notice any other related issues I'll accelerate this call.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Quebecker
3rd Gear
I don't want to take mine to the dealer either, because I know it will take forever and the dealership is 90 minutes away!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
spell
1st Gear
Sounds similar to my experience. See: here.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
JoanManuel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Quebecker
I don't want to take mine to the dealer either, because I know it will take forever and the dealership is 90 minutes away!
I dont carry to my dealer.. I was looked for a "good reputation dealer" in my town in a BMW users forum... i found very professional guy! ..

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Quebecker
3rd Gear
I took mine to the dealership on Tuesday. They replaced the thermostat and rest the codes?

I am hoping this is the cure, love the car but the thought of being driven into whilst trying to overtake is a bit unnerving.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM
RobBohn
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RobBohn
I've driven more than 1500 miles since the fix, and I've not had the issue since. Woohoo!
Now 4000 miles and have not had a repeat of the original problem. Good fix.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Had it for the 2nd time last friday. saturday morning it was rough, check engine light came on. Made an appt for tuesday, on the way in to the dealer, the reduced power notice kicked on. 2nd time now.

And for the 2nd time, it was a faulty spark plug. The ceramic on the plug is breaking off. Different plug this time, and a much faster turn around. And they gave me a loaner off the show room, brand new cooper s fully loaded. But they wouldn't replace all the spark plugs, just the damaged one.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
Had it for the 2nd time last friday. saturday morning it was rough, check engine light came on. Made an appt for tuesday, on the way in to the dealer, the reduced power notice kicked on. 2nd time now.

And for the 2nd time, it was a faulty spark plug. The ceramic on the plug is breaking off. Different plug this time, and a much faster turn around. And they gave me a loaner off the show room, brand new cooper s fully loaded. But they wouldn't replace all the spark plugs, just the damaged one.
I would have them switch to a different brand of plug if there is one thats an approved replacement. They also need to install all new plugs.
I also wonder if something is causing the plugs to run too hot. Its strange that two plugs in a row on different cylinders would be defective.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
I have had a lot of turbo cars mostly modded and to me this sounds like a detonation event. Most times it is fixed via more octane in the gas but if you can program the fuel table it can be solved by adding fuel in the area where the ping is.

kunzman: this pinging or detonation I am talking about can damage plugs.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Magdaddy
1st Gear
stumble with our 2012 ALL4

2600 miles, restart after sitting 4 hours in the garage-outside air temp around 40 degrees F. Car stumbled on start up, then stalled. Restart, and it idled fine, but stumbled severely with minor go pedal application. Stumbled backing down the driveway, but then ran fine after.

After returning from a short 10 minute drive, it made ALL kinds of noise up front, which we never heard(noticed maybe) before. Looking at other posts, it seems that both the elec cooling fans and turbo water pump were running...VERY noisy.

I read thru all 3 pages, I don't think I saw any other 2012's listed. This is primarily my wife's car. The fact that the nearest dealership is 2 hours away, was a huge concern. I fear that nagging issues like this will kill any chance of an enjoyable ownership experience.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Magdaddy
2600 miles, restart after sitting 4 hours in the garage-outside air temp around 40 degrees F. Car stumbled on start up, then stalled. Restart, and it idled fine, but stumbled severely with minor go pedal application. Stumbled backing down the driveway, but then ran fine after.

After returning from a short 10 minute drive, it made ALL kinds of noise up front, which we never heard(noticed maybe) before. Looking at other posts, it seems that both the elec cooling fans and turbo water pump were running...VERY noisy.

I read thru all 3 pages, I don't think I saw any other 2012's listed. This is primarily my wife's car. The fact that the nearest dealership is 2 hours away, was a huge concern. I fear that nagging issues like this will kill any chance of an enjoyable ownership experience.
You need to get yours looked at ASAP. Mine made all those same noises just after I got it "fixed" the first time and they replaced the low pressure fuel pump. The next day I could barely get it started so I took it to my local dealer. They have replaced the injectors and the thermostat and I will pick it up tomorrow. I'll keep you updated. BTW, I love the car and the way it drives, but I am worried that this has tainted my ownership experience. You just don't expect a car under 100,000 miles these days to experience a "no start" unless of course its on empty.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
I have had a lot of turbo cars mostly modded and to me this sounds like a detonation event. Most times it is fixed via more octane in the gas but if you can program the fuel table it can be solved by adding fuel in the area where the ping is.

kunzman: this pinging or detonation I am talking about can damage plugs.
What octane have you been running? I can only get 93 up here (unless I go to 89 which I 'm not doing) so even if that is a bogus 93 it would have to be way off to be a problem. Did you see my thread on 'no start'?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Quebecker
I took mine to the dealership on Tuesday. They replaced the thermostat and rest the codes?

I am hoping this is the cure, love the car but the thought of being driven into whilst trying to overtake is a bit unnerving.
They have replaced my thermostat today for an almost 'no start' condition.
It ran really rough, but I finally got it started by feathering the gas will cycling the starter on/off. This was after having the low pressure fuel pump replaced for a 'no start' condition earlier in the week. I will pick it up tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kunzman
What octane have you been running? I can only get 93 up here (unless I go to 89 which I 'm not doing) so even if that is a bogus 93 it would have to be way off to be a problem. Did you see my thread on 'no start'?
No didnt see your thread on the No start.

I use only 93 and if anyone is running a turbo car on less than that they should be ready for trouble.

If your running 93 and its still doing it maybe trying different gas stations will help. I know the summer gas and winter gas sometimes causes problems too.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Took my MCS in today to have it looked at for a hesitation problem when accelerating, that they will have to reboot the entire car FML. Well as i was writting this they called me and told me that that it had all updates and could not recreate the problem but they can never recrate the problem so going to pick it up.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
sneakerspray
1st Gear
Quick Check In

Hey everyone. Frequent lurker here hoping to contribute. I've had this issue since the car had about 100 miles. After finally getting frustrated with Crevier and their "service" department I took my 2011 R60 to my local dealer, Ontario Mini.

By the end of the first day they were easily replicating the issue on demand but had no idea what the issue was. I went to get a loaner since I had a laundry list of issues for them to look at and showed them this thread and specifically called their attention to SIM 12 02 11 mentioned in an earlier post. The shop foreman was there, looked it up and placed it with my file because it looked like what they needed. The next day I got the call that the tech had reprogrammed my car and was no longer able to replicate the issue.

Bottom line I picked up my car yesterday and have not been able to replicate. I could totally be full of $h%t but it "feels" better throughout the entire power band. Previously off the line I felt like I was lumbering but now it almost feels like I constantly have my sport button on.

Disclaimer, I could just have this notion stuck in my head because I saw this "better performance" mentioned earlier as an effect of this reprogramming taking place. Also, I was in a regular Cooper (Non S) for the entire week so I missed my extra power?

So I will check in a few thousand miles from now but I am a happy camper.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Frankendoc
Neutral
OP posting a follow up. After several visits to the dealership as per my previous post there was still no fix and we had 2-3 stumbles a week.

So last visit (early in December), they kept the car for a few days. They also had a regional rep/mechanic come in to look at the car. They replaced one knock sensor and installed updated software and the problem has completely gone away. No more hesitations (in about 5k miles since then). The service manager was not forthcoming with details about the software update, nor does the service slip have much in the way of clues.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
gratuitous
Neutral
Having dealt with this issue since March of 2011 when we took delivery of our car, I am happy to report that "SI MI2 02 11" finally provided with our local dealership with the reference required for them to get the correct software update installed in our Countryman S All4. The engine and transmission behave so much better now. It's like driving a different car. It drives so much smoother. There's no hint of hesitation or stumble anymore. No jerkiness as you come off the throttle to decelerate. As an added bonus, it seems that gas mileage has improved as well by about 10%. Amazing! I knew that this would eventually come down to a programming issue, but I didn't have the patience or time to be a guinea pig. I thank all of you who were patient enough to be that guinea pig for me. I am a much happier Mini owner.

Cheers,
Grat

Quick Reply: Stumble when accelerating?